Page 23 of 23 [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:42 pm

I tried not to go to doctors, or limit myself to one appointment every two or three years as one doctor implied that I may have been a hypercondriact as I saw him about twice a year trying to work out what the partial shutdowns were. His thoughts were along the lines that I could be making it all up? Then he prevented me from having any appointments which the feeling was mutual so for years, even when I had to leave jobs because I could not get doctors sick notes, I would rather lose my job then see a doctor. It has taken great faith to see them since I changed doctors a few years ago, and these doctors are brill. They want me in once every six months for a blood pressure check as it was high once... (They had me wear this adget to monitor me 24 hours and as I hated wearing the gadget my blood pressure was up high for a start. With the previous drs, they told me to eat as much junk food as I can as my blood pressure had been too low, so for years I tried my est even though I didn't know what junk food was... But in those days I was cycling 150 to 250 miles a week. The issue was shutdowns. They thought it was too low blood pressure because I happened to have a heart rate of 60 at rest and a low blood pressure to match.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 9:02 pm

Ive been faking being NT all of my life. I wasn't actually diagnosed until a few years ago.

But now you (the person who started the thread eleven years ago) tell me that folks fake having autism/aspergers?

So if I go around drawing to attention to what I really do have - I would get the same benefits that these folks who fake having it get?

What ARE these benefits?

Will I suddenly become popular, rich, and famous if go around advertising that I am on the spectrum? :lol:

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2019, 9:40 pm

Super Aspie powers like photographic memory and high intelligence. Ignoring people that are not worthy of your time.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 12:10 am

livingwithautism wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
There's really no logical reason for anybody to "fake" autism.

One just does not get too many benefits because of having "high-functioning" autism or Aspergers.

And one cannot really fake "classic autism."

That's why no one ever accuses me of faking "classic autism." It's just too obvious.

Same, no one has ever accused me of faking anything because it's so obvious there's "something" different about me, even if people don't know what it is.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 7:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A popular affable NT salesman type fakes being a socially inept dorky aspie/autistic in order to...

What?

What's the payoff of doing that sorta fakery?

There isn't one. The O.P. talked not about the above, but about people with various mental illnesses claiming to be "autistic" because autism is less stigmatized than their actual mental illness.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 8:11 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
A popular affable NT salesman type fakes being a socially inept dorky aspie/autistic in order to...

What?

What's the payoff of doing that sorta fakery?

There isn't one. The O.P. talked not about the above, but about people with various mental illnesses claiming to be "autistic" because autism is less stigmatized than their actual mental illness.

There are people with factious disorders that fake it. It has been 11 years since the OP stated this thread. There are some NT’s that fake it or because they have a few traits delude themselves into thinking they are the next Sheldon, or The Good Doctor somewhat positive representations that did not exist much in 2008, or to excuse bad behavior, or to receive undeserved benefits. There are social media youth subcultures/bubbles where people convince and reinforce themselves that they are poor victims, gallantly standing tall against the NT world that just does not get their genius, their moral and other superiorities.

IMHO the belief that there is a mass fakery problem is a lot worse then the actual fakery problem. I would think once the people get out of their bubble into the real world where autistic is a popular insult, and people wonder if because you are an loner, different you are the next mass shooter they would be quickly be dissuaded from thinking how cool and superior they are.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kalyke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

Aspergers was identified in 1947. This means it existed for years before it was identified. Psychiatry has only been a legitimate science since the late 1800's. (Before that they were basically prison wardens). Every person with Aspergers before about the 1980's 1990's did not get any kind of "treatment" whatsoever unless they were profoundly Autistic in which case they were in special education. Schools did not identify students for potential learning issues, or social issues before the past 20-30 years. Before that, if you had Aspergers you were just kicked out, called a loner, and if you could not get your stuff together would be a grocery clerk for the rest of your life (or some other job that did not demand human contact).

So, were all those undiagnosed people "faking it?" I think what you should think of is that it is more widespread than is actually known, and many people do not have a cut and dried "diagnosis" because as many have said, it is expensive. Poor people -- if they have insurance, often have insurance that does not include psychiatric or sociological diagnoses. You also need people who knew you in the past. What if you had child abusers for parents? What if your parents did not care? There are more people with Aspergers now because they are diagnosing it more often. Back when I was a kid no parent would have taken their kid to a sociologist to be diagnosed as anything. There was a stigma. If kids did not look into your eyes when you talked you'd slap them in the face or something (the same thing would happen if you rolled your eyes or smirked). That was what "used" to happen.

I also do not see why the "us against them" the "true aspies" vs "the fake aspies" should be an issue. Why create walls? Maybe aspergers is a normal state? They did alright without diognoses prior to 1947.

As someone brought up why would you fake something like this? In your life maybe it causes people to have more sympathy for you, but most people don't get much sympathy because they can't do normal expected things. In a job, you'd get fired. You don't actually GET anything for Aspergers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 10:27 am

Kalyke wrote:
Aspergers was identified in 1947. This means it existed for years before it was identified. Psychiatry has only been a legitimate science since the late 1800's. (Before that they were basically prison wardens). Every person with Aspergers before about the 1980's 1990's did not get any kind of "treatment" whatsoever unless they were profoundly Autistic in which case they were in special education. Schools did not identify students for potential learning issues, or social issues before the past 20-30 years. Before that, if you had Aspergers you were just kicked out, called a loner, and if you could not get your stuff together would be a grocery clerk for the rest of your life (or some other job that did not demand human contact).

So, were all those undiagnosed people "faking it?" I think what you should think of is that it is more widespread than is actually known, and many people do not have a cut and dried "diagnosis" because as many have said, it is expensive. Poor people -- if they have insurance, often have insurance that does not include psychiatric or sociological diagnoses. You also need people who knew you in the past. What if you had child abusers for parents? What if your parents did not care? There are more people with Aspergers now because they are diagnosing it more often. Back when I was a kid no parent would have taken their kid to a sociologist to be diagnosed as anything. There was a stigma. If kids did not look into your eyes when you talked you'd slap them in the face or something (the same thing would happen if you rolled your eyes or smirked). That was what "used" to happen.

I also do not see why the "us against them" the "true aspies" vs "the fake aspies" should be an issue. Why create walls? Maybe aspergers is a normal state? They did alright without diognoses prior to 1947.

As someone brought up why would you fake something like this? In your life maybe it causes people to have more sympathy for you, but most people don't get much sympathy because they can't do normal expected things. In a job, you'd get fired. You don't actually GET anything for Aspergers.

If you were profoundly autistic you probably got misdiagnosed with mental, retardation, deafness, brain damage or psychotic and more. You were lucky and your parents were probably rich if you got special ed. Like most “mental defectives” you were institutionalized for life in a hellhole, locked in the attic or thrown out. If you were one of the rare people diagnosed with autism it was a special hell. Psychiatrists preformed all sorts of experiments on you. Since autism was belived to be caused by refrigerator mothers it was recommended that once the kid was institutionalized that all reminders of the child such as pictures be eliminated from the home and that the mother undergo years of therapy to find out what she did and why she did this terrible thing to her child making the child not fully human. In that atmosphere you think anybody wanted their kid to have an autism diagnosis or any mental diagnosis?. The kid had to be completely “insane” before a visit to a psychiatrist would be considered.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 11:04 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Super Aspie powers like photographic memory...

I think I forgot to put a film in mine.