Page 22 of 23 [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm

Aaron_Mason wrote:
Hi,

I've been accused of this many times - and every single accuser is someone I don't know, and who doesn't know me. There are people who think I do, and those people came to me about it. My parents. Some people I have told have gotten to know me and believed it too - my first GF was doing psychology at uni, and an Aspie came to one of her lectures, and she said she saw a lot of me in him.

But yeah, I've been burned by this before - it doesn't bother me because it's by people who don't know me, and most of it is from people who haven't even met me. All because they know people with ASDs and I'm nothing like them - or to them they are just "ret*ds" (I HATE the word, I'm sorry for using it) who wouldn't be in uni. One person (who has never met me) even had the hide to suggest I had Munchausen's syndrome. Bigoted bastards.

My mom accused me of this. I know I'm not. I my not have 100% of the symptoms but I know i am autistic. My parents think i was deaf i even had surgery on my ears (tubes being put in them) and I was very quiet throughout school.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

Ashariel wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
But are they actually symptoms or just sonething else that looks like autism? Or are they not actual autism symptoms because they are part of something else like anxiety or trauma or OCD or schizophrenia or depression? I an just trying to figure out what you mean here.

That's a good point, because many of us have confusing, multiple diagnoses. (In my case PTSD, Bipolar, and ASD, plus almost-but-not-quite Schizoid/Schizotypal/Schizoaffective Disorder.)

It's not our fault that professionals have trouble figuring out exactly how to label us. And we're already confused enough about it, without WP members making us feel even worse about our messed-up problems.

Number of innocent people hurt by 'autism faker' witch hunt: Hundreds, over the years

Number of innocent people hurt by evil and nefarious autism fakers: Zero, as far as I can tell?

I am diagnosed, AS, anxiety disorder, OCD, ADD. I cannot distinguish. My mom says I only have anxiety and my dad says Asperger's and even a therapist I saw for about a year told me each doctor will have their own opinion so if I keep trying to figure this all out, I will just get more and more confused if one doctor says this and the other doctor says that. So that is why I say they are just labels.

Then my mom turns around and says I have autistic traits so which is it? Then she says it comes and goes and when I am calm and stuff, I am fine. Don't autistic people do better when they are fine? Then they get worse when they get stressed out or overwhelmed but do we all say they slip into moderate or severe? That would be my mom's logic. They wouldn't be true moderate autism then or true severe autism, that is her logic. She says that about my AS. I am not a true aspie because I slip in and out of it. My husband describes it as coming in waves.

If someone claims to be autistic and it was all a lie, lot of people would be upset too about it I am sure like they were with Rachel Dolzel (sp) when they found out she wasn't truly black. I don't think they would have cared if they knew she had her skin darkened but they were upset is that she made up stories about herself and made up her childhood and claimed she had always been black. If someone did the same about autism despite having symptoms that look like autistic traits, I don't think they wouldn't have cared if the person wasn't truly autistic even if they have the diagnoses but if they actually lied about their history and made stuff up about their childhood, then people will be upset. To them it would just be a label but if they actually lie about their past is what matters. I think that is what went on with Rachel about her skin color and her claim to be black. Imagine if someone did the same about autism?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:12 pm

rebeccadanielprophet wrote:
Aaron_Mason wrote:
Hi,

I've been accused of this many times - and every single accuser is someone I don't know, and who doesn't know me. There are people who think I do, and those people came to me about it. My parents. Some people I have told have gotten to know me and believed it too - my first GF was doing psychology at uni, and an Aspie came to one of her lectures, and she said she saw a lot of me in him.

But yeah, I've been burned by this before - it doesn't bother me because it's by people who don't know me, and most of it is from people who haven't even met me. All because they know people with ASDs and I'm nothing like them - or to them they are just "ret*ds" (I HATE the word, I'm sorry for using it) who wouldn't be in uni. One person (who has never met me) even had the hide to suggest I had Munchausen's syndrome. Bigoted bastards.

My mom accused me of this. I know I'm not. I my not have 100% of the symptoms but I know i am autistic. My parents think i was deaf i even had surgery on my ears (tubes being put in them) and I was very quiet throughout school.

Were you really deaf? Did they have any proper testing done to know for sure you were deaf?

I was deaf and my parents had me tested and it showed I was and I had tubes in my ears. I became very talkative and didn't know when to shut up and when to let others have a turn. I also had to start from the beginning to get to the part I wanted to tell and you couldn't interrupt me or I would have started all over.

But anyway my mom told me I was trying to be Asperger's in middle school and high school when i was an adult just over a year ago and I was like "what?" She also accused me of putting this label on myself even though I already had the diagnosed so how can i put a label on myself if I already have the diagnoses? Only way I could do that is if I didn't know about the diagnoses and I decided to do a self diagnoses after reading about it. Maybe she means I got myself diagnosed with it in 6th grade and I caused it to happen even though I didn't decide to see a psychiatrist nor did I decide to get any diagnoses in the 6th grade, I wanted to be normal. I was a kid. How does a kid have control over that?
My mom is weird with language.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 3:21 am

I can't see how someone could fake either one. In order to be diagnosed with it a family member has to recall your childhood. If you were not either it would be obvious based on those facts.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2017, 3:21 pm

I'm self diagnosed but I swear I'm not faking it. My parents thought I was deaf as a child. And I remember things like playing on my own in preschool looking at someone but not saying anything. And I had speach problems (I became verbal around third grade probably, and I took speech therapy and was in "special education" class for a few hours in fifth grade).

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 10:08 am

This I haven't heard of but the other way is encouraged or people have learned through coercion as a child.It causes anxiety disorders so wouldn't an allistic person trying to fake Aspergian also cause anxiety and likely PTSD or perhaps epilepsy like some autistic children who been through ABA. It is not as though an allistic person has to try to fit into Aspergia in order to prevent exclusion and bullying because there is no nation of Aspergia and allistic people are the majority. There may be a way for people to fake a learning disability (also known in America and Canada as Intellectual disabilities) to prevent abuse physical, emotional and neglect. But either way it wouldn't be seen as ethical it would be seen like the person who borrows a wheelchair but doesn't need to and is out playing football on a Sunday with his local pub team yet claiming to have a physical impairment. Faking autism makes no sense because no one feels sorry for autistic people in fact the opposite is true. Autistic/Asperger syndrome people have exceptionally high standards set for us by allistic people, that they fail to live up to themselves. It is like being a prophet but having none of the respect that is (shown by their followers). Who would want those social demands put on them wither NT or autistic? I wouldn't.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

People will fake illnesses to try to get on disability.... But being on disability is depressing, at least for me it is.

I have the opposite problem, people tell me I'm "aspie" or at least aspie-like but I've never had anything official on paper saying it so I feel I cannot "claim" it.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

Faking autism or AS is unfair to those of us who have autism or AS because it takes away services that other people legitimately need.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's really no logical reason for anybody to "fake" autism.

One just does not get too many benefits because of having "high-functioning" autism or Aspergers.

And one cannot really fake "classic autism."

That's why no one ever accuses me of faking "classic autism." It's just too obvious.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:47 pm

I fake being NT. Over the past few years I've gotten relatively good at it.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
If this prediction came true, then the majority of AS diagnosed people are "faking it".

"Fred Volkmar, director of the Child Study Center at the Yale School of Medicine, however, found, a staggering 75 percent of those with Asperger’s and 85 percent of those with PDD-NOS would fail to meet the new requirements".
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... d_nos.html

That isn't relevant because everyone with Autistic Disorder, Asperger's Disorder, and PDD-NOS was "grandfathered in" to DSM-5 Autism Spectrum Disorder.

love2connect
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2019, 4:22 pm

This is a fascinating topic.
for me after I got diagnosed, I basically don’t tell anyone about it except the few I trust.. (mostly those who have similar experiences) I want to come out as ASD but I’m kind of embarrassed. For now, I am more comfortable telling people I have SPD (which I also was diagnosed with)

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:08 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Faking autism or AS is unfair to those of us who have autism or AS because it takes away services that other people legitimately need.

I agree. I have visited a few sites on this journey and I would read things that I interpreted as people desiring to have autism. A form of envy. Those are the people I am suspect of. It's a club I now belong to, but qualifying for membership was not fun. At least it wasn't for me.
I will read updates where someone is disappointed at being found not ASD. What?! I don't get it.

I am getting a little better at accepting myself. But, this was a painful process.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:17 pm

livingwithautism wrote:

It makes people suspect us of faking it and validates those who think autism is massively over diagnosed if not a "fake disease". I have seen the widespread belief that there is an autism wannabe phenomenon lead to a lot of people here doubting their own diagnosis, wondering if they have faked out themselves and their clinician.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

I am not concerned about faking autism or asperges, but I am concerned about thinking I have it when I maybe found that I don't have it, as I would feel a fraud. If it is such a case I am sorry, as I am trying to make head of tail of things by trying to work things out in my mind.
There again, I may have it as I can certainly relate to many traits of it which I share in my character. Either way I am really greatful to everyone in here who has done so much to help me and point me in the right direction whichever direction this may be! Haha! Yhank you all regardless of how things turn out. You are all so precious. :heart:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 8:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

It makes people suspect us of faking it and validates those who think autism is massively over diagnosed if not a "fake disease". I have seen the widespread belief that there is an autism wannabe phenomenon lead to a lot of people here doubting their own diagnosis, wondering if they have faked out themselves and their clinician.

I have days where I think I faked out myself and the clinician due to being a hypochondriac.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard