Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:08 am

When I talk about a topic (with people) I can talk like a mature, eloquent person.

But when I talk to people, I talk to all of them as if I were a 3-year-old who can only talk like a 3-year-old. Short sentences, simple vocabulary, silly content.

That's been bothering me lately. I don't want people to get the impression I treat them on a toddler's level on purpose, but I know I give off this impression often. People complain or point out my supposed immaturity. It's embarrassing when pointed out to me to say the least.

Someone tell me this is an autistic issue?

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 11:19 am

I think most people with AS/HFA are much more capable of talking about actual topics and subjects than small talk. A lot of us can get through specific discussions because we can treat it like a debate that isn't such a social thing, talking about we have been up to for the last few weeks might be more difficult. I seem to appear somewhat social,intelligent, and normal when discussing biology,history,etc but if someone says "Hey, you were in my sociology class last semester, how did you do on the final?" i either say something really dumb or i just can't say anything at all.... Even if i really like that person, perhaps especially if i do, everything just goes wrong or gets lost between my brain and my mouth. Maybe it is easier to talk about specific things because that uses knowledge and thinking rather than emotions and expression.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:35 am

Yeah..I find that I talk "differently"...sometimes it seems to vary from person to person..perhaps on the amount of stimulus I receive from them(simple way of putting it)..if that makes sense...i might elaborate more later...

SuperStinger71
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2008, 11:52 am

Yes. Certain people in my life I speak to as if they are two years old. I've been told I tend to over-explain things or provide too much detail. It's not because I'm pretentious or think they're stupid (well, some of 'em are!), it's because sometimes when I talk to people, I have trouble pulling the words I want out of my brain and end up causing confusion. I guess I figure if I go into more detail, it will provide a more satisfactory answer. Doesn't always work.

People who know me usually know I have AS though, so I can talk in my normal, confusing, stressful manner and they understand me, or at least get the idea!

Meeting someone for the first time is always a challenge though. I think most people believe I'm just extremely nervous and that's why I have trouble putting a sentence or a thought together. It's not until later that they find out it's because of AS.

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

I’m a goof when I talk to people. I’m trying to make up for the fact I can’t come up with anything to would make for good conversation. Even with family, I’m the quiet one who occasionally blurts something goofy out to break the tension.

Now ask me about my car and I’ll give you a detailed list of what I’ve done to it and what I want to do with it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 8:50 am

I speak in a different voice when I am socializing that allows me to socialize more effectively/comfortably...if that counts as talking differently to people.....I have this high musical voice that I go to....as opposed to the flatter tone I might use with my parents..and sometimes with Flakey.....It happens automaticly...kinda sorta...