I'm headed off on a group trip to NYC..how to make friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

I'm headed off on a group trip to NYC, and how do I make some friends so I'm not hanging out by myself. I live in Canada so the trip to New York will take approx. ten hours. We will be shopping, dining, and visiting tourist attractions during the trip. Basically, how do I approach someone and hang out with them during the duration of the trip. I do have two bunk mates I'll be sharing a hotel room with but I don't really know who they are. Would it be okay if I talk to them on the bus to introduce myself, and if so how do I do it?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 3:41 pm

Since you will be on the bus together...why not just approach your hotel roommates, smile and say, "Hi...my name is (whatever) and I will be sharing the hotel accommodations with you." They may be a little apprenhensive about meeting you and
the trip to New York City...but, an introduction on the bus could be a way to break the ice, so to speak. Then, you can help each
other when you move your suitcases and belongings into the hotel.

I stayed at New York University, near Washington Square Park ( near the Arch of Triumph like the one in France) when I spent a summer down on Wall Street. There is so much to see and do in NYC. Just be careful...and don't wear any name badges when
you on on the streets in New York City. New Yorkers can spot a "foreigner" in a second. Also, never "flash" money or any
valuables in public...just to be safe.

When in New York City, do as the "natives" do...try to blend in as much as possible.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2008, 7:20 pm

Try to get to know your bunkmates since they'll be with you during the trip. I wouldn't see a problem talking to them on the bus. Introduce yourself and take it from there.

I have been living in NYC all of my life. NYC is a big place with a lot of people and a lot of things going on. Despite some of it's disadvantages it's a great city to visit and live in. Be careful with walking on the streets. Keep to yourself and try not to talk to anyone strange unless necessary. Be cautious about people asking questions and asking for things, some of these people do it for reasons that are not good. Keep away from any odd people, situations or sights. Try to blend in as much as possible. Stay close to your bunkmates. NYC can be expensive so make sure you bring a good amount of money with you. There's a lot to do in NYC so you won't be bored right away. Get to know the subway and bus system. It's very complex but can take you where you need to go. Don't flash anything valuable or important. Watch your pockets.

If I knew where exactly in NYC you and your bunkmates were going I would try to give you more advice, tips and etc...

Have a good time!

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 7:42 pm

Redrocket wrote:
Try to get to know your bunkmates since they'll be with you during the trip. I wouldn't see a problem talking to them on the bus. Introduce yourself and take it from there.

I have been living in NYC all of my life. NYC is a big place with a lot of people and a lot of things going on. Despite some of it's disadvantages it's a great city to visit and live in. Be careful with walking on the streets. Keep to yourself and try not to talk to anyone strange unless necessary. Be cautious about people asking questions and asking for things, some of these people do it for reasons that are not good. Keep away from any odd people, situations or sights. Try to blend in as much as possible. Stay close to your bunkmates. NYC can be expensive so make sure you bring a good amount of money with you. There's a lot to do in NYC so you won't be bored right away. Get to know the subway and bus system. It's very complex but can take you where you need to go. Don't flash anything valuable or important. Watch your pockets.

If I knew where exactly in NYC you and your bunkmates were going I would try to give you more advice, tips and etc...

Have a good time!

We are going to Times Sqaure, 5th Avenue, Harlem, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Rockefellar Plaza, the Port District, Grand Central Station, and some other places like the UN HQ.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 8:25 pm

Praetor2379 wrote:
I'm headed off on a group trip to NYC, and how do I make some friends so I'm not hanging out by myself. I live in Canada so the trip to New York will take approx. ten hours. We will be shopping, dining, and visiting tourist attractions during the trip. Basically, how do I approach someone and hang out with them during the duration of the trip. I do have two bunk mates I'll be sharing a hotel room with but I don't really know who they are. Would it be okay if I talk to them on the bus to introduce myself, and if so how do I do it?
If you know if they're your roommates, start the conversation on the bus, but don't push it. Introduce yourself, but look to see if they are bored (they will not give you eye contact, talk like you aren't there, etc.). When you're in the room with them, maybe talk about the trip, ask where they want to go, etc. But don't go on too much, as talking too much is not good (experience of that sort of thing)
I have Aspergers too, but I've learned that being cautious is definitely what NTs do, and so make sure that you're not talking too much, especially when you first meet somebody. This has helped me keep a couple friends, so I hope it works for you :D

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 8:26 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
Since you will be on the bus together...why not just approach your hotel roommates, smile and say, "Hi...my name is (whatever) and I will be sharing the hotel accommodations with you." They may be a little apprenhensive about meeting you and
the trip to New York City...but, an introduction on the bus could be a way to break the ice, so to speak. Then, you can help each
other when you move your suitcases and belongings into the hotel.

I stayed at New York University, near Washington Square Park ( near the Arch of Triumph like the one in France) when I spent a summer down on Wall Street. There is so much to see and do in NYC. Just be careful...and don't wear any name badges when
you on on the streets in New York City. New Yorkers can spot a "foreigner" in a second. Also, never "flash" money or any
valuables in public...just to be safe.

When in New York City, do as the "natives" do...try to blend in as much as possible.
Don't say hotel accomodations though, maybe hotel room or something less fussy sounding?

weather1man
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2008, 8:57 pm

Don't make a deal of making friends, just be friendly and open to social interactions and your be sure to make some friends along the way. Group trips are esp easy to make friends with.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2008, 11:24 am

We are going to Times Sqaure, 5th Avenue, Harlem, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Rockefellar Plaza, the Port District, Grand Central Station, and some other places like the UN HQ.[/quote]

Grand Central Station is a nice train station. Years ago it was horrible but in the 1990's they fixed it up. There are good places to eat in this station but it's expensive. Just walking around the station is a good sight. There are various commuter trains going to different places throughout New York.

Rockefeller Plaza is a good place also. It's very crowded in that area so be careful. There's WNBC studios there, maybe you and your friends can get a tour of the station and possibly even get tickets for some of the shows there. I'm not too sure how it's done now, it's been a number of years since I got tickets for a show over there.

Times Square is a crowded but there's lots of stores to check out. It use to be the armpit of NYC but now it's much better.

I haven't been in Chinatown, Little Italy or Soho in a while myself. I would avoid Harlem, it's not too safe there. 5th Avenue is okay, it's just a bit crowded though. Central Park is close to it. The United Nations should be interesting. I never heard of the Port District before.

Since you're in the area maybe you should check out the Empire State Building, the Wax museum, the statue of Liberty....

Keep us posted.