Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

knowmadic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 6:05 pm

I feel like my pride prevents me from agreeing with any behavioural therapy. Why should we accept that the way nature made us is wrong? Our mental state is surely more natural than the society which we live in. "Behaviour" is only relative to the society which it exists in, so if society were structured differently (and there have historically been many attempts to change the structure of society) then maybe we would be the ones who were "right". I'm sure all of you would agree that the world would be in a lot better shape if it were run by autistics. There'd be a hell of a lot more honesty at least, and we would be a society that takes time to enjoy the little things rather than obsess over destroying the planet to gain wealth.

We all seem to get angry and frustrated with the restraints society imposes on us; so why shouldn't we be? Honestly, the NTs have done a pretty good job a screwing things up so far. Maybe we represent nothing more than a stage in human evolution. Maybe we are among the first to change as nature sees fit. The rising rates of autism appear to be what nature desires. Maybe, (purely speculative theory here...) we aren't just assuming people can read our minds when we are silent, but we are a stepping stone closer to more advanced communication, like telepathy. This world needs a global consciousness now more than ever! After all, most of the greatest human advancement--and our claim to superiority over animals--involves communication. Speech is becoming more and more antiquated in this 'age of information'.

So, I say: "don't let them change you!" You all have incredible abilities as well as weaknesses. While the deficiencies are only deficiencies because this temporary design for a society says they are. NTs can only wish they had your abilities! And you can't separate the weaknesses from strengths without destroying what makes you who you are. Please, don't let who you are be destroyed! Lets stand up for Autism Pride! We deserve a chance to change the world for the better since the NTs can only teach us to accept their flawed society.

In a mad world, only the mad are truly sane!

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 6:15 pm

Let's start a f*****g riot. Take over socialization and show us we're not afraid to bow down to those dictating piece of s**t "people" they call "normal."

knowmadic

22 Mar 2008, 6:30 pm

Yeah! I'm not saying we should hate all NTs at all though. I'm saying that perhaps THEY are much more clueless about how things ought to be than us! We shouldn't assume our ways are wrong, after all we only think that because we are told we should think that. I say, from now on, assume you are the way that humans SHOULD be. Don't change to accommodate the same mentality that has brought the world slavery, global warming, capitalism, the Soviet Union, Fascism, and a mile long list of other atrocious behaviours!

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 6:34 pm

I don't hate NTs. I hate NTs who think they are better than us and the fact that we have to bow down and do what pleases them to fit into society.

knowmadic

22 Mar 2008, 6:43 pm

Isn't all of human history a story of people telling other people that they must do things a certain way in order to be "normal"? Imagine if there was a negative connotation attached to "normal", making it resemble something like "subservient" or "capitulated". We need to disregard desires to be normal.

We've become like cows trying desperately to get in line for the slaughter house just because all the other cows are going in there...and just because they other cows don't come out of there doesn't mean its because its such an awesome place to hang out.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:22 pm

Knowmadic, such wise words and so well said ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

I only regret that I'm too old to be around when Aspies start having pride parades. It was my fate to be born and live in the Brokeback Mountain era of Asperger's, and this pains me more than anything else in life.