what language means: semantics, discourse, philosophy... 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
how language works in society: sociolinguistics, dialects... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
how language works in the brain: psycholinguistics, neurology... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Jonesy
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2008, 3:35 am

I've been living in southern Japan for almost a year now with my wife (not aspie, but I wouldn't say neurotypical) and my baby (2 years old and very talkative). I'm planning on returning to Texas in a few months mostly because of family concerns (but also I really, really miss Mexican food... and good Indian food... and pretty much all the non-Japanese styles of cooking). We want our daughter to be around family more because they miss her, she should know them, and we could really use some babysitting. Also, my brother has a pretty severe form of autism, and I should really be around him more. I think I'm his favorite person, and I feel really guilty living over here.

Anyway, are any of you working in education/academia? I'm (somehow) working as an English conversation instructor. This job has pretty much taught me how to make conversation (through trial and error, you know?). If I hadn't committed my family and sunk so much money into getting to Japan, I probably would've quit after the first week or so. It was like one solid panic attack for the first two or three months over here. But now, it's no worse than other jobs I've had (computer jobs). Any of you into linguistics? I wanna study more and become a professor when I get back to the US.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 7:26 am

Nice to meet you, Jonesy. :) 8)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 9:26 am

I would say what the language means fascinates me the most. This is why.

My roommate's sister-in-law is Japanese. When she is considered in the US, she goes by her married name. When she is in Japan, she goes by her maiden name.

Her maiden name is Tsujino, but the t is soft in the Japanese language. We don't have any soft letters in our language as far as we know.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:12 pm

Ha! I wish I was...

Welcome to WP from the States!

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.