Were there any scandals in your families?

Page 2 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:56 pm

no my family is really boring :roll:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2008, 4:55 pm

There's a rumor that my brother's wife slept with my father, and had a daughter from him. She is an alcoholic, and was always at my father's house while my brother worked. Her daughter looks nothing like my brother. 8O

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 6:16 pm

Well my family is generally a peaceful one. Although I do have a cousin who had a child out of wedlock. Although I honestly think people were more upset when she broke up with the child's father about a year later (he wanted to get married). I also have an Uncle who divorced and fought a successful custody battle for an adopted child (his ex-wife wanted full custody).

So I guess that's not nearly as interesting as some of the other stories posted. I guess I'm just lucky.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 8:24 am

My cousin who is 17 now (18 this autumn) is demoralized and – but here I’m not 100% sure - I think now she deals with a probation officer. I’m nor sure if it counts as a “real” family scandal though.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:02 am

My Great Grandmother got pregnant in 1912 by her boyfriend, unwed and living in England. This brought huge shame to her family so she decided to leave and move to Canada. She had a ticket to board the titanic, but at the boarding ramp, she had a bad feeling and sold her ticket to someone else and bought a ticket for the next ship leaving after that. 8O She eventually made it to Canada and her boyfriend (still back in England) heard she had left and came after her. No one knew where she was, but he found her and they settled in Ontario.

I have a cousin who had a choice to either be killed for an outstanding drug debt to the mob, or take a hit for a crime he didn't do. He decided to go to jail instead. He called my Dad to come and see him because he was scared (my Dad is a minister) so my Dad went to the jail to visit him. When he came back out, there was a slip of paper underneath the wiper on his windshield that said if he tried to post bail to get his cousin out his wife and kids would be killed. On the paper was my full name, date of birth, where I went to school, where my mother worked part time, and our home address and phone number. My Dad never saw his cousin again but we heard he eventually got out of jail and drowned. It's suspected he was actually thrown over the side of a boat in the middle of the Detroit River.

Mortiferus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2009, 9:12 am

There's been some drug-related crime stuff... alcohol-problems... and a couple mentally ill people.

I actually barely know anything about my family now that I think about it. Lots of them live in the same city as me though. I don't even know what my brother does! I guess it's a bit unusual. :roll:
It seems that my mother doesn't think telling me anything is that important.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:16 am

My dad had an affair in 1999, with my now step mum (though none of us kids in the family refer to her as our step mum, even after 10 years :P )

My eldest brother's girlfriend is a kleptomaniac. When she and my brother lived with us she used to regularly steal money from my mums purse and money tin, and some of my clothes too.

My grandmother got pregnant to another man while her husband was fighting in WW2.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:57 am

k... not a LOT of big drama but,,,

after i came along, there was the divorce that lasted 15 years to complete, and cost both my parents shedloads of money, and most of my mothers sanity.

my younger brother has been arrested many times, and caused a lot of drama. ive been arrested a few times myself, but only my dad and stepmother knows (oh and my brother of course. twice we were arrested together :] )

there is some alcoholism on my mothers side of the family, but everyone ignores it.

me and my brother are the obvious black sheep of the family. i wouldnt say theres a lot of drama, but definitely strong friction

blue bean, i got a step mother too, but we call her some strange nonsensical name my brother invented for her when he was little, and couldnt say her name correctly. people are often confused when we call for her :D

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

14 Apr 2009, 12:29 pm

My grandmother's first child, her only daughter, was conceived out of wedlock. She married and kept the baby. Thing is, when she got older this girl also got pregnant by a guy socially much higher up than her, and you'd have expected my grandmother to have been sympathetic, but she wasn't. She made her go away to have the baby and give it up for adoption, and she never let her forget it for the rest of her life. I don't think she was allowed out on her own for a very long time, and by the time I knew her she'd always been my maiden aunt and seemed destined to stay that way. Most of her life she was stuck at home looking after her brothers, then her aged parents, and she died shortly after both of them died, from sheer exhaustion I think. The tragedy is, this guy turned up at her funeral that nobody knew, and it turned out he was the long-lost baby. I didn't know about any of this till after my father died.

I had another aunt on the other side whose first child wasn't her husband's, and I didn't know that till a few years ago.

And, I'm still absolutely convinced that there is some mystery surrounding my own conception and/or birth. I just have this lingering feeling that something's 'not quite right' there. I'm sure I was my dad's child because I look so much like him and all his relatives, but I just have this sense that something else happened that may have been untoward, and I don't know what.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Apr 2009, 1:44 pm

i guess my family is your typical american family. lots of drug use, abuse, faking it of course. my family tries to act all normal but there not and im really sick of disfunctional familys. i mean wtf? ya its really that hard for one man and one woman to stay together and do things right? :roll:
everyone is getting disowned like a mother and i want someone to adopt me! :D

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 2:15 pm

Rage: maternal great-grandmother flew into rages and threw knives at her sons.

Alcoholism: a paternal great uncle and cousin were alcoholics and the cousin killed a man with his car while DUI.

Suicide: distant maternal cousin jumped down a well, a first cousin shot himself in the head; distant paternal cousin shot himself in the head, and my grandmother committed suicide by drinking poison.

Sex: maternal great-grandfather was illegitimate - his mother was raped by an employer; an aunt had a back-alley abortion before Rowe v. Wade; a great aunt had loose morals, multiple partners and husbands, and her daughter was a lesbian; paternal grandmother was pregnant before getting married; paternal uncle arrested and jailed for statutory rape (he was married but ran off with a 15 year old student of his); my father was molested by a male cousin, evidently as an adult had sex with men, and died of AIDS in 1994. Didn't know what he died of until after he was buried. Oh, ya, and he was an ordained fundamentalist Baptist minister.

That's enough for now.

Z

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 5:48 pm

Here's just a couple of things, the actual list of all could go on for pages I bet.

-My aunt was divorced from a trucker literally days before she married my uncle so they're not sure who my cousin's dad is and she doesn't want him to know. (I learned this when she spoke to my grandma about it while I was in the room making dinner)Apparently everyone else in the family hates her for this (not that her personality is a shining star)

-My great-grandma divorced her first husband and 'lived in sin' up to her death (including having two kids with the man)

-My mom is in jail and her charge was read out during a court procedure while trying to get my little brother out of her custody. Everyone that I know kept asking me if that was my mom (stupid gossipy town and mom knowing so many people) {It's not that she's in jail but what the charge was that's the scandal}

-There's a question of whether my father is really my father because I don't resemble him at all and all the facial features I have in common with the sibbies are mom's, my dad wasn't home until 14 days after my most likely concieved date, my dad always acted like he was trying to make something up to me (he's not one to ever deal with his problems and does not act like this for any understandable reason)

-My parents broke up with a huge 3 day fight in front of us kids, everyone knew about it and it caused my only ever suspension from school (a group of boys made fun of me every day about it and no one would do anything so I finally punched one of them in the nose and broke his nose, I only got 2 days - one of which was in-school)

-My family's story was published in the newspaper with a large amount of details - enough so that they tracked myself and my older brother down and we were hounded by newspaper reporters who wanted an interview, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life!

-My father's ex-fiancee cheated on him, forced him to give the younger sibbies up to foster care, and then blamed their failing relationship on my inability to be a good daughter and help take care of the step-sibbies (because after three years I had enough and told her 'screw you and your little brats' and refused to take care of them any longer)

-The bio-sister got a tongue ring, tattoo, and breast implants all while underage for any of them (to be honest I had my belly pierced at 10 - took it out at 15 when everyone else started getting theirs done)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 5:56 pm

I once asked my grandfather why so many people in our family are high strung and he told me some of our ancestors were cattle thieves.

ruveyn

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 8:06 pm

I have many sad story's but I'll tell you the interesting one instead.

I went to my aunts funeral and noticed all the grave stones had the Freemason symbol on them. I told myself I was being paranoid by thinking ANYONE in MY family could possible be a mason.

So a went up to dad and edged around the question. I asked him what the symbol meant on all my dead relatives tomb stones.

He said oh that's the mason symbol. I said why is it on there graves? He said "because they were masons".

I was like, what!! !!

So most of my dads side are Freemasons. creepy huh!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Apr 2009, 9:29 pm

just-me wrote:
I have many sad story's but I'll tell you the interesting one instead.

I went to my aunts funeral and noticed all the grave stones had the Freemason symbol on them. I told myself I was being paranoid by thinking ANYONE in MY family could possible be a mason.

So a went up to dad and edged around the question. I asked him what the symbol meant on all my dead relatives tomb stones.

He said oh that's the mason symbol. I said why is it on there graves? He said "because they were masons".

I was like, what!! !!

So most of my dads side are Freemasons. creepy huh!

I found out that my father was a Freemason, too. Yeah, it is creepy!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:43 pm

A lot of drunks but not many I know of.

Don't know of any scandals except one of my great aunts had a child and her mother became that child's mother. So the kid grew up to believe that her actual mother was her sister while her grandma was her mom.