Were there any scandals in your families?

Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:36 pm

Back in the 30's my great-aunt was murdered, here in my town. After they killed her, they stuffed her into a barrel and threw her over a bridge, into the river. That's where fisherman found her and reported it to the police. The incident is recorded in a local history book of my town. 8)

Those who know, don't speak.

Last edited by jawbrodt on 15 Apr 2009, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Apr 2009, 10:40 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
A lot of drunks but not many I know of.

Don't know of any scandals except one of my great aunts had a child and her mother became that child's mother. So the kid grew up to believe that her actual mother was her sister while her grandma was her mom.

I love your avatar, MissConstrue!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:44 pm

Thanks. :)

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 11:06 pm

A great grandfather of mine drank himself to death, another great grandfather was briefly a political prisoner, a distant relative was an influential politician who jailed anyone that displeased him but had to go into hiding when the political winds changed.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 1:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I once asked my grandfather why so many people in our family are high strung and he told me some of our ancestors were cattle thieves.

ruveyn

thats pretty cool.

some of my ancestors were vikings B)

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

15 Apr 2009, 3:34 pm

Oh, yes...I forgot about perhaps the most intriguing one.

My grandmother on my mother's side apparently ran away from home in her late teens/early 20s. This would have been just after WWI. She traveled with an American lady to whom she was acting as a chaperone - the husband was working in the States and the wife, in those days, couldn't respectably travel without a companion - and at one stage they stayed in the town where my grandfather worked, and she ended up marrying him. But for the whole of her life she barely said anything about her own family of origin.

I've looked her up in the part of England we think she came from, but there seems to be no trace of her. She's not listed in the 1911 census (although apparently quite a few women didn't enrol in that census as a protest for women's suffrage...although she was quite old-fashioned so I'm not sure she would have been into that). One of my uncles has dug up a lot of family history going back several generations on his dad's side, but he's drawn a blank with her. We're not sure if she was honest about the area she came from, or even her correct name and birth date. And while there are family rumors that she was Jewish, there's no concrete evidence that that was the case. So it's all rather strange.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:10 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
just-me wrote:
I have many sad story's but I'll tell you the interesting one instead.

I went to my aunts funeral and noticed all the grave stones had the Freemason symbol on them. I told myself I was being paranoid by thinking ANYONE in MY family could possible be a mason.

So a went up to dad and edged around the question. I asked him what the symbol meant on all my dead relatives tomb stones.

He said oh that's the mason symbol. I said why is it on there graves? He said "because they were masons".

I was like, what!! !!

So most of my dads side are Freemasons. creepy huh!

I found out that my father was a Freemason, too. Yeah, it is creepy!

How did you react when you found out?

I felt like I stepped into one of those conspiracy movies . lol.
It was also kinda cool to be around something mysterious like that.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:47 pm

just-me wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
just-me wrote:
I have many sad story's but I'll tell you the interesting one instead.

I went to my aunts funeral and noticed all the grave stones had the Freemason symbol on them. I told myself I was being paranoid by thinking ANYONE in MY family could possible be a mason.

So a went up to dad and edged around the question. I asked him what the symbol meant on all my dead relatives tomb stones.

He said oh that's the mason symbol. I said why is it on there graves? He said "because they were masons".

I was like, what!! !!

So most of my dads side are Freemasons. creepy huh!

I found out that my father was a Freemason, too. Yeah, it is creepy!

How did you react when you found out?

I felt like I stepped into one of those conspiracy movies . lol.
It was also kinda cool to be around something mysterious like that.

Freemasons are still quite active. My FIL passed away 3 years ago and he was one.

16 Apr 2009, 8:58 pm

My boyfriend's sister's boyfriend did auto theft and he was in prison a few times and then he got busted the third time for having sex with a 16 year old and got put away for good. He had a three strike rule thing by the court my bf told me but he thinks so.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 4:49 am

It happened in the 19th century, in like my great great grandparents’ generation and it’s quite possible I’m the only family member now who knows about this from my grandma’s stories. Some cousin of ours died after he ate mushroom soup prepared by his wife. But it wasn’t like that she wanted to poison him on purpose because she also was a victim of the soup so most likely it was her lack of familiarity with which mushrooms are edible and which ones aren’t that became the reason of this fatal error. Even if according to this know anecdote, ALL mushrooms are edible – although some of them only one time.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 9:46 am

My white mother dated black guys when she was in high school. (My family was racist at the time.) Mom got put into a private school where there weren't any black people.
But Mom eventually ran away and eloped with my father, who is also black. They joined the Navy together and had me and my brother.
But then father abusive towards mom and me, and was cheating, lying, and wasting money.
I haven't heard from him since I was seven.
My family isn't racist any more, though.

My aunt, when she was 15, skipped school one day to have sex with her then-boyfriend, and got pregnant. The boyfriend turned out to be a drugged-out loser. Luckily, she has found a good man willing to help raise her first child and she is living a very comfortable life, and now has two more children!

One of my uncles was growing marijuana in the woods behind grandpa's house.

I moved out of mom's house and moved in with my then-boyfriend (now fiance). :lol:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 11:26 am

My maternal grandfather used to rob summerhomes during the winter with my grandmother who was hemiplegic waiting in the car. She was SO naive (WW 1 era) that she actually thought he was visiting friends who wanted to give him things. It was ALL JUNK! Nothing of any real value. Their house was filled to the brim with stolen junk.
My own father is a sex-addict/pedophile who killed a man with a banana stalk (at the age of 15) in revenge for this guy stabbing his kid brother for no apparent reason other than racism. His own sister is a known whore but doesn't do it for the money but strangely is an avid animal lover that you couldn't help but love. But if you turn your back, she'll "love" your husband. She tried to "bed" my prom date but he was gay and my best friend at the time. He's doing life for murdering his lover for infidelity. My paternal grandfather was a sex addict as well...thus, his kids are like him. My paternal grandmother shoplifted all the time and taught her kids how to do it.
As a young woman, I was a petty thief. Infamous for cramming food down the waist of my jeans. I only stole food, small stationary items, paper clips, sticky notes, and #2 pencils...never, never would steal people's earnings or anything else. On my first job, on night shift, I ate an entire birthday cake that was left for the next day for a party. It had a note on the box that said, "Do Not Eat!" That's why I ate it. I put the empty box right back in the company refrigerator with the note attached. It was a small, buttercream layer cake. If the note wasn't put there, I would've NEVER touched it. At the age of thirty, all this craziness stopped after therapy. It was a regression to childhood when food and school things were free and my sexual abuse was rampant. At times, I get urges to do crazy things like when I was young but I won't do them now. Sex triggers these urges because I feel I should have free food and pencils because someone penetrated me when I was a child. I've learned to cope. Celebacy stops these urges but I'm married and my husband likes sex once and a while. I feel a LOT of shame when I remember the past. I try to compensate by often donating to food banks and places needing school supplies. Donations get really big when we make love often. I donate now instead of steal. It hurts me that I probably wouldn't donate out of pure generosity, I do it as a therapy only.

LadyJuliette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2009, 2:22 pm

In the beginning, there was me..

Then I was 4, I was molested by my uncle. Mom never spoke about it again and Dad spoke to him and then pretended nothing happened for years. That is until recently when he admitted his mistakes and took responsibility for it.
My father was an adulterer. He left my mom and the 3 of us for another woman. She was a complete nutcase. She once took an overdose (one of many) and came to me after overdosing on sleeping pills and said it's all my fault. I was 12 at the time.
My mother remarried (number 2) a peadophile. He abused all three of us, til my mom caught him in the act. He comitted suicide after acid was thrown in his face.
Dad skipped the country with his wife who was sought by the police for some fraud with computers or something. Stayed away for two years and came back to face the music.
Mother married her third husband. He beat her up but I was living with Dad again by this time so no details there.
Got involved with a guy at 16. My father (who was divorced from wife 2 at this stage) didn't approve, he disowned me and I was put into welfare care. This boyfriend regularly beat me up. I had a baby girl at 19. I left him when he beat me with her in the house. She's happy and fine and 17 now.
I was a hooker for 5 years and had a lesbian relationship with a co-worker. It lasted for the full 5 years until I got tired of being a crack addict and took responsibility for my life. The drugs stopped the day I left her.
I'm now happily married, completely well-adjusted, not mad, suicidal or depressed all the time. In complete bliss and reverence of life. My beautiful baby boy is 15 months old.

LadyJuliette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2009, 2:31 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
I've learned to cope. Celebacy stops these urges but I'm married and my husband likes sex once and a while. I feel a LOT of shame when I remember the past. I try to compensate by often donating to food banks and places needing school supplies. Donations get really big when we make love often. I donate now instead of steal. It hurts me that I probably wouldn't donate out of pure generosity, I do it as a therapy only.

LOL :D You sure have an excellent sense of humor. Love it!

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 7:38 pm

"Scandal" implies that the family actually communicates with each other. So, in that case, no.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2009, 8:02 pm

Yes, there was a scandal in my white-caucasian family back in the 1800s. My great-great grandfather (on my mother's side) married a base-born 1/16 black woman who was descended from a slave woman on the Jefferson plantation. That caused a controversy. Was it because she was base-born? Or because she was 1/16 black? A researcher who put my family's history together thinks it was because she was part black.

From her I strongly believe is my family's autistic gene---the Jefferson autism gene. That side of the family has had a lot of autistic acting people in it. I even had a Rain Man type cousin who spent most of his life in the Athens, Ohio Psychiatric Hospital (in the time most places didn't recognize autism properly).

But at the same time---my father's side of the family is rather...well...quite eccentric. By the way, my father has a savant-like skill in math in that he can multiply up to two four-digit numbers in his head quicker than can be done on a calculator.

So maybe I got a double dose.