Warning: Anti-religious sentiment, also, long post

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:30 pm

God. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why people believe in such an idea. I don't understand why people so vehemently defend their blind faith. Honestly, do you really believe that such a being exists, or do you just need that control in your lives?

The idea of a God existed long before his "one true form" came to be, polytheism for example. Even back then, people had their faith, and did awful things and made sacrifices in that God's name. Polytheism has since been phased out, for the convenience of a one "true God."

So, what did I miss in between? How is their faith so easily dismissed now, and how can subjects of monotheism so confidently claim they are right and that their one "true God" exists over all? Hell, there isn't even a one "true God" amidst all the many religions and sects of such. If God is so infallible, how can you people split his word so?

I simply can't stand the idea of "God." All I see when I look at it, is a primitive form of control...and the glaring human flaws in the ideal. Most of it is so silly it's ridiculous, so ridiculous it angers me. It's not righteous, not noble, it's just plain silly to believe. It just boils down to hopeless people seeking an answer to the unknown: Why are we here?

Why are people so ill-content with not knowing? Simple, because human beings fear what we do not understand, and hate what we fear. All God has accomplished is a means to make that hate justified, a means to separate ourselves from the very people we hate most times. A means in which to lie to ourselves, a means in which to accept death and our own mortality.

Some would argue God has brought some good, I'd tend to disagree. We all have that good in us to begin with, if only we'd take the time to search for it. God is nothing more than convenience at it's best; why take the time to forge your own virtue when some omnipotent being can just shove it down your throat?

It's such an ugly lie, elaborately thought out, and preys so shamelessly on the insecurities of our race. Nothing but control: Think what we think, do what we do, or you shall burn for all eternity. Wow, that is some "God" right there.

Do you all really bow down to such a childish dictator without a single thought? "God" is supposed to be so perfect and benevolent, so why, amidst the fact that he gave us everything we have, is he portrayed as such a vengeful and arrogant soul? Why should anyone be damned to hell upon acting on his greatest gift: Free will.

If he were really that all knowing, why the stupid experiment? Why give us choice in matters, some leading to salvation, others damnation. Surely your great "God" could foresee the outcome, for he brought this all to be, no? And don't give me that "made in his image" crap, it only further proves my point that if he were to exist, he's nothing but an immature child.

"His" idea is simply not needed, not here, not now. No Human is perfect, and to seek the approval of "God" is to try to be perfect, and nothing but tragedy will and has become of it.

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Teoka
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2008, 3:54 pm

I agree with EVERYTHING you just said! :D It's like you went into my mind and put what I was thinking into text!

It's a pity that people don't realize that they have the power, figuratively speaking, to do what they want and be great people without the help of a higher power.

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:56 pm

Since you asked in the PM for my 2 cents worth: it appears to be a highly opinionated rant.

I'm sorry you have such feelings.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:04 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Since you asked in the PM for my 2 cents worth: it appears to be a highly opinionated rant.

I'm sorry you have such feelings.
Your ignorance in other threads directly lead me to the idea of god and what he has wrought, and so I felt compelled to write what I've felt on the matter.

Don't be sorry for me. If your God were to materialize right before me in all his majesty, I'd piss in his eye and smile through every second of the damnation that would follow from the act. I don't need such a fool watching and judging my actions.

Shame though, that you have nothing else to say. Blind faith, at it's best. Lord have mercy on my soul, no?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:07 pm

there is no god. want proof? here it is: (brace yourselves)

Vitamin D is essential for us to be healthy. It's great for the skin.

*But*

you get 2,000 times more vitamin D from sunlight than you can from broccoli.

*Yet*

sunlight can cause cancer.

why would "god" put poison in our vitamins?

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:15 pm

digger1 wrote:
there is no god. want proof? here it is: (brace yourselves)

Vitamin D is essential for us to be healthy. It's great for the skin.

*But*

you get 2,000 times more vitamin D from sunlight than you can from broccoli.

*Yet*

sunlight can cause cancer.

why would "god" put poison in our vitamins?

*facepalm* Please don't agree with me further, at least, not under those opinions. :(

Teoka
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

LOL.

Now, now, remember this: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:23 pm

Teoka wrote:
LOL.

Ugh, not in this case. I need no allies to prove what is so undoubtedly wrong, and he's just giving them ammunition upon which to filibuster with. "God" knows, that's their favored tactic.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2008, 4:24 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
Teoka wrote:
LOL.

Ugh, not in this case. I need no allies to prove what is so undoubtedly wrong, and he's just giving them ammunition upon which to filibuster with. "God" knows, that's their favored tactic.

You make a good point ^_^

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:32 pm

The vitamin D/sunshine/skin cancer thing had me puzzled for a while. Then it occurred to me ...

God intended for us to live in caves and venture out at night to catch cod fish and eat their livers, which are loaded with vitamins and Omega-3 fats. Or wear burkas. Or both.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:35 pm

monty wrote:
The vitamin D/sunshine/skin cancer thing had me puzzled for a while. Then it occurred to me ...

God intended for us to live in caves and venture out at night to catch cod fish and eat their livers, which are loaded with vitamins and Omega-3 fats. Or wear burkas. Or both.
Digger1, I hate you. :evil: Look what you've done!

Teoka
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2008, 4:36 pm

monty wrote:

...logic pl0x.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:39 pm

I spent a lot of time and thought typing out that first post, stop derailing it!! :evil:

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:41 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
*facepalm* Please don't agree with me further, at least, not under those opinions. :(

screw you. I'll agree or disagree with whomever I choose and because it's me doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's.

but in the interests of keeping the peace...

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:47 pm

PRAISE The LORD! HALLELUJAH!! :lol: :P

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

digger1 wrote:
Bluesummers wrote:

screw you. I'll agree or disagree with whomever I choose and because it's me doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's.

but in the interests of keeping the peace...
And I respect that, it's just, on this matter...agree or disagree in silence.

And come on, a debate about "God's" existence and you use vitamin D as an example?? What are you thinking man!? :D