Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 7:15 pm

I heard that Adderall helps a great deal with concentration but after a few months its effect wanes and the patient goes back to ADD mode.

Is that true?

Personally, I can say that antidepressants (not quite the same as Adderall, but still) helped me a lot with concentration and retention. I was able to read very fast and almost effortlessly retained a substantial amount of the information I read.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 7:41 pm

im on adderral it dont help much though

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

It helps somewht..I do not like the withdrawl effects....and the effects of long-term use....(aside from the weight loss..which i did like...it was short lived.)

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:01 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
It helps somewht..I do not like the withdrawl effects....and the effects of long-term use....(aside from the weight loss..which i did like...it was short lived.)

in my case, weight loss would be a positive side effect. What do you mean by withdrawal effects?

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:04 pm

I was on that for a while, but i needed to take claritin at a certain point, and the two had a reaction. So now I'm doing my best without it. It's ok for a year or two, but it's better if you don't take stuff like that forever. I didn't feel it wear off, though.

I also was on risperidol for about 8 days; horrible reaction. I was getting every side affect in order... apparently that's not common.

But they do not have me

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:22 pm

I suppose it's better than doing meth.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:56 pm

If you really have ADD, it will help you concentrate. Otherwise it works like a mild form of speed. And you have to be careful what antidepressants you combine it with- wellbutrin combined with adderall increased my nervousness and level of panic attacks.

Now I'm on lexapro with adderall, and that seems better- when I remember to take it. The one thing I've noticed about adderall is that i should still take it even when I have time off from school, and don't feel as much of a need to concentrate... otherwise I will go through withdrawal. For me, the withdrawal is a return of depression and lethargy- I can't bring myself to do anything. But I'm on a very high dose, because I don't respond to drugs as quickly as most people.

Adderall itself doesn't increase your metabolism, but it makes you forget to eat. This could be beneficial I suppose if you ACTUALLY have a weight issue and snack all the time when you shouldn't, but don't play around with this. Make sure you are comfortable enough with yourself and responsible enough to remember to eat regular meals.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 9:30 pm

I've been taking adderall for about a year but I stopped recently because of sleep problems. It seemed to help while I was taking it.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 9:56 pm

I was on Adderall before the middle of the first semester, but now I'm on vyvanse which is like Adderall, but the formula is different.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 10:51 pm

Mw99 wrote:
has anyone here been on Adderall?

yes. All it did was make me anxious and start biting the inside of my lip.

I'm on Strattera now

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 11:13 pm

Yes, they kept uping my dose and it made me nervous. But for some reason, I found myself a little hooked on it, I don't know why. I decided I wanted off of them. I eventually found out that I didn't have ADD. I just learned differently. I still have problems with concentration though. I either fall asleep or have to physically get up and move around. I can't sit all day and I don't think it's normal to. Don't know what other alternatives are out there.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:57 am

I have never done meth...but i hear it is pretty close..

It really helped me concentrate on things, unfortunately, it helps me hyperfocus more on my special interests...AND...become more hyperaware of the chaos and disorder around me, which contribured to eventual severe emotional meltdown...

Withdrawl AND long term effects for me have included increased intensity of meltdowns...general paranoia and moodiness.....and I concider dependancy to be a rather nasty side effect....

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 7:41 am

The only thing the stuff ever did to me is keep me away...typical of most medications, I get the side effect, but rarely the intended effect.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:26 am

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
If you really have ADD, it will help you concentrate. Otherwise it works like a mild form of speed. And you have to be careful what antidepressants you combine it with- wellbutrin combined with adderall increased my nervousness and level of panic attacks.

It has both effects for me. But I like the results overall and don't mind being a little hyper. It's either that or be down. I'll take a little hyper any day over that. And my concentration is THOUSANDS of times better.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

It helps. Many people have said it's "zombifying"

It helps me stay in control

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 4:22 pm

I like being able to concentrate on stuff...I am able to actually accomplish some of the ideas my mind is perpetually firing at me...then again....withdrawing from it....depression...overwhealmed-ness...crying jags.......eventual mental breakdown......dunnow....maybe it is worth it.....
I wish I could do all the stuff I wanna do without Adderall.
It does not make me hyper....it makes me methodic and no pharmaceutical made is going to turn me into a good housekeeper.