Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 4:34 pm

Richard, from the apocrhyphal gospels I find the Infancy Gospel of Thomas (which is an unrelated different gospel) one of the most interesting

Quote:
But a Pharisee which was with Jesus took a branch of an olive tree and began to empty the pool which Jesus had made. And when Jesus saw it he was vexed and said to him: O thou of Sodom, ungodly and ignorant, what hurt did the fountain of water do thee, which I made? Lo, thou shalt become like a dry tree which hath neither roots nor leaf nor fruit. And straightway he was dried up and fell to the earth and died: but his parents carried him away dead and reviled Joseph, saying: Behold what thy son hath done: teach thou him to pray and not to blaspheme.
Quote:
And after some days as Jesus walked with Joseph through the city, there ran one of the children and smote Jesus on the arms: but Jesus said unto him: So finish thou thy course. And immediately he fell to the earth and died.

I can see why this is apochryphal, however I have wondered how a small child with such powers would behave if he gets mad, it would be really very hard to raise a child like that knowing what could happen.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Mar 2008, 5:39 pm

intresting. im thinking about buying all the apocryphal books and just tossing out my bible. either way i cant be any worse off than before, also i think in the infancy gospel jesus (when he was a kid) made doves out of clay and they came to life into actual birds

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2008, 3:01 pm

The 'discarded gospels' contain a lot of interesting material, but the problem is that a lot of them contain 'problematic' material as well. If you were to consider them all you'd have a very unclear picture of who Jesus was or what he actually said. You can say whatever you want about the selection process and I probably won't disagree with you but at least the four canonical gospels are relatively consistent.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

BesideYouInTime wrote:
but at least the four canonical gospels are relatively consistent.
thats because more than likely the same person wrote most of them, i dont remember wich gospel it is but two of them are almost identical. and nobody can find evidence of said 4 people actually writing those books, its all hersay.

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2008, 3:24 pm

richardbenson wrote:
BesideYouInTime wrote:
thats because more than likely the same person wrote most of them, i dont remember wich gospel it is but two of them are almost identical. and nobody can find evidence of said 4 people actually writing those books, its all hersay.

They're not written by the same person, it's just that the three synoptic gospels were adapted from the same source material and tailored for their individual audience. This lost source was the 'Q' gospel and likely just contained a list of sayings attributed to Jesus.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

Bollinger wrote:
GreatCeleryStalk wrote:
The Pauline epistles were likely written around the same time with the earliest being perhaps 80 CE

Is this accurate? I thought Paul's letters predated the Gospels, and started around AD55. Which would make them the earliest Christian writings. Which would mean that the earliest accounts of Jesus were written by a man who only saw Him in a "vision," which we would describe today as an hallucination -- or as a lie. To me it seems quite possible that the whole thing started with Paul, and that Paul made. it. all. up.

Like most early Christian texts it depends on the camp you fall into. 55-60CE is probably more correct than 80, but there are biblical scholars who feel that the epistles may have come later; IIRC Elaine Pagels argues for early authorship of the epistles; I should have said "between 55-80CE" instead of implying that 80CE was the definite date.

The first century CE was very definitely a turbulent time for the Jewish people, but it was also a time when many people took refuge in what many of us might call "myth and magic"; The cults of Sol Invictus, Mithras, and Isis for example, all had very similar elements to what orthodox Christianity today has, at least in terms of the death and resurrection of a divine figure and the salvific effects of that divine figure's resurrection.

It's also important to realize that Christianity wasn't a monolithic religion in the first two to three centuries CE; there were many competing definitions of Christianity, such as that offered by the school that produced the Gospel of Thomas. A degree of consensus was reached at 325 in Nicea, but it didn't exactly spell the end for competing versions of Christianity.

The Bible as we know it today had a very complex history; revered figures such as Clement of Alexandria often included other books, such as the Didache (Teaching of the Twelve Apostles) in the canon, and the first Epistle of Clement was also quite popular in the early church as was the Shepherd of Hermas.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 3:42 pm

BesideYouInTime wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
BesideYouInTime wrote:
They're not written by the same person, it's just that the three synoptic gospels were adapted from the same source material and tailored for their individual audience. This lost source was the 'Q' gospel and likely just contained a list of sayings attributed to Jesus.
thanks for clearing that up. but the point still remains, its all hersay. wheres the q document? exactly.

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2008, 3:52 pm

richardbenson wrote:
thanks for clearing that up. but the point still remains, its all hersay. wheres the q document? exactly.

It's very hard to prove anything about the distant past with 100% accuracy. All we have is modern scholarship and that's what modern biblical scholarship says about the matter. Do the research and make up your own mind.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 4:10 pm

thank you!

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:38 am

Q hasn't actually been found yet. The hypothesis is that Mark was derived from Q and that Matthew and Luke were derived from Mark. Many scholars think that Q was similar to Thomas in that it was a collection of sayings; the difference being that a narrative was created around the sayings via Matthew and Luke but not Thomas.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 12:10 am

q reminds me of Q

Delirium wrote:
Quote:
[Saying probably added to the original collection at a later date:]
114. Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."

Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

So apparently Jesus is down with transsexuals.

Yes, of course, and it possibly sort of came true as Mary may have been turned into John!

BesideYouInTime wrote:
The 'discarded gospels' contain a lot of interesting material, but the problem is that a lot of them contain 'problematic' material as well. If you were to consider them all you'd have a very unclear picture of who Jesus was or what he actually said. You can say whatever you want about the selection process and I probably won't disagree with you but at least the four canonical gospels are relatively consistent.

The only problem with Thomas gospel is the joke at the end, which doesnt fit any gnostic bs I have heard!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:17 am

The_Znof wrote:

The only problem with Thomas gospel is the joke at the end, which doesnt fit any gnostic bs I have heard!

From The Gospel of Thomas:

114. Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."

Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become
a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will

Enter the kingdom of Heaven."

Just Goes To Show That Toxic Patriarchy Is 'Biblically' Influenced

As It's Obvious, It Continued Well into Last Century, Where Women

Still Were Not Allowed to Vote; And There is the Same Toxic Patriarchy

Now That Doesn't Allow Women to Be Catholic Priests; And In Protestant

Ways Husbands Get to Still Speak For Their Wives First In Spiritual Matters;

And Of Course the Older Ways of Biblical Abrahamic Traditions of Toxic Patriarchy

More Intense in Women Sold Like Cattle Into Child Marriage; Only Virgin Branding Will Do

Still Exists in the More Old Testament Muslim Ways of Countries too; Other than That It is a

Common 'Jungian Tradition' to Balance Animus And Anima In Archetype As Whole Human

Being Where The Greatest Strength of a Lion Comes in The Silence of Chi Energy; Stored

Grace Before

A Roar

And The

End of Another

Antelope's Life Before

The Lion Falls to the Ground

(It's Why i Still Perfect A Mix of Free Ballet
And Martial Arts And So Did Bruce Lee too;

In Public Dance 14,953 Miles in 93 Months; Totally Fearless
And God Yes Still Strong As An Orangutan As Science Shows
Is Still Possible For Humans Who Get Off Their
Couch Potatoes Regularly And Move too; in my
Case Now Still Leg Pressing up to 1520 Pounds

At My Military Gym, Far Beyond What Any Other

Military Dude Even Attempts to Do Turning

Age 61 Tomorrow on June 6th, Stronger Than Ever....

And Ballet For 'Arnold the Governor' Just For Aesthetics
of Posing And Other Martial Artists/Athletes as Well)

{That Was A Rather Long Parenthetical Statement;

Here's the Rest Before That Started too...}

And Feeds The Grass For the Off-Spring

Relatives of 'that Antelope' to Consume In James

Earl Jones' Narration At Least In The Disney Movie

'The Lion King' and Beyonce's Version of Being 'Spirit' Wind too...

By the Way,

Some Scholars

Suggest that the

Gospel of Thomas

Is Not Gnostic at All;

Depends on How We Read the Free

Verse Poetry; It may Be Interpreted As Just

Another Naturist Point of View; Verse
37, Surely Relates this too, Finding God

Naked Within And Treading On the Metaphor

oF All CuLTuRaL Clothes We Separate Ourselves

From As Camels Still Fitting Through Eyes of Needles,

For All the Layers We Wear in NDD Nature Deficit Disorder...

So Lost in the Tools We Create; The Machines And Screens We Become

Where The Other Animals

Simply Live

Forever

Now Without

All Our Constructed

Illusory Worries And

Labyrinths Lost We Become Away

From Nature, The Obvious Real Only God Now: ALL;

Yet of Course, Now Imagination And Creativity that

Humans Possess Is the Progenitor of Heaven or Hell Greater on Earth Now For Real too...

A Rather Pandemic Part of Nature or Bliss Our Human Potential Creates And Becomes too...

PS: Happy 'Environment Day'

Celebrated Globally on June 5th, Now;

i'm MaKinG iT Part of my 'Weekend'

Birthday Party Hehe... i Don't Wait Now

For Others to Celebrate EPiC Events; HAha,

This Is of Course, Yes, Part of A Much

Larger "Depth of 'The Story'":

i.e.

Nature (God)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 05 Jun 2021, 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:36 am

[To the origional poster. (Not a criticism. More puzzled)].
What Bible are you reading them from as they differ quite a bit from the ones I am used to. I only got so far into what you wrote and became puzzled. They seem to follow scriptures but then are different? Is a translation I have not come across before which is why I ask. Are you sure it is a Christian Bible? It looks like they are taken from Christian Bibles from various Gospels and altered?

(Note. There is not a Gospel of Thomas in the standard Christian Bible translations. Is it from the Apocrapha?)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

I wonder if the three previous posters realize that this thread was essentially abandoned more than 13 years ago, and that they are replying to people who have also abandoned this website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:41 am

Oh. Ok. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:
I wonder if the three previous posters realize that this thread was essentially abandoned more than 13 years ago, and that they are replying to people who have also abandoned this website.

Hehe, Yeah,

Just Another

Opportunity

To Add A Lot

i

Don't

Miss Much;
Credit Autistic
Savant Skill of Reading
20 Times Faster Than the

Average Human; All of this,

Just Another Almost Savant

Skill of Typing 130 Minutes

In Flow of Laser Focus Sure

Someone, Somewhere, Does it Better Than me, hehe...
Anyway, i Read The Entire Thread in a Minute of my Brain Speed at least...

Other Than That With Almost A Photographic Memory For Text And
Otherwise A Movie Maker Memory Long Term For Just About Every

Feeling And Sense i've Had in Life; if This Was From Thanks

Giving Day 2010 Or

Later chances

are i wouldn't

Even Need
to Read it Again...

Have A Nice Day Fnord...
Stay Smart And Don't Forget the Art...

True, i Came Here on Thanks Giving Day 2010...

'The Gift' WHO Never Stops Giving
With
ZERO
REGARD
TO RECEIVE
YAWN........:)

Just Millions, Millions; Words of TL;DR except me;

In Every (Book) Case, in Every Word, No BooK NoW Is Too

BoRinG For me to Finish As 'EnLightening Breathes' Thunder EvenTuAlly CoMes...
OBTW (THiS WaY) That Last Line Is 'Encoded' in the 'Gospel of Thomas' Too For Those Who 'See'...

Yet Not
For those
Who Do Not Read...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick