Eligible Odd-Bods! - The Aspergian Singles List 2008

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 2:00 pm

I was not sugesting that gay/bi had no gender- gender is seperate from sexuality. it was just a way of cutting down on the list, for example a bi woman would want to look at heterosexual men and gay/bi women- I think that seperation makes sence is quick and easy and I dont think it is offensive and Im sorry if anyone does find that offensive as it is not intended as so. I just think the lists would be about the same length if split so. If it really bothers you then you could put men seeking men , men seeking women, women seeking men , women seeking women.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 2:28 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
I was not sugesting that gay/bi had no gender- gender is seperate from sexuality. it was just a way of cutting down on the list, for example a bi woman would want to look at heterosexual men and gay/bi women- I think that seperation makes sence is quick and easy and I dont think it is offensive and Im sorry if anyone does find that offensive as it is not intended as so. I just think the lists would be about the same length if split so.

It is not offensive at all it just doesn't make sense. Either you mean that straight men place ad in the mens section and straight women in the womens section or the other way round. Either way why should gay and bi people get lumped together and straight people get separated by gender?

It not specifically your suggestion this idea of multiple stickied threads doesn't make any sense and are unpractical.

I'm going to talk about something very un-sexy now...

Data matching (or date :wink:) requires cross referencing capabilities. Putting the data in fixed lists makes it less integral and less useful. Many individual requirements overlap. So in order provide something that could accommodate any users requirements (and we are not just talking about, sex, sexuality, age but also any other preferences, keywords, etc) you need to query the data so it can be selected for that user specifically.

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

That is pretty unsexy. I almost want to start up a tremendous excel spreadsheet that will use macros to match people. I could PM everyone a format of question blanks (Gender, age, seeking, etc) and macro them into semi-anonymous rows. Finally, using the filters feature it would be quite simple to look at all the compatible pairs of people at which point they could all be PMd back who they should start talking to.

Now that I recognize my ideas are getting progressively more ridiculous, may I ask a ridiculous question? Are any of the options you guys are discussing even implementable? OR, is Alex even interested in implementing anything that you can develop? Because if the answer to either of those questions is no, we might as well just all start dating each other.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:01 pm

DuceXcreW wrote:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm Post subject:
That is pretty unsexy. I almost want to start up a tremendous excel spreadsheet that will use macros to match people. I could PM everyone a format of question blanks (Gender, age, seeking, etc) and macro them into semi-anonymous rows. Finally, using the filters feature it would be quite simple to look at all the compatible pairs of people at which point they could all be PMd back who they should start talking to.

Now that I recognize my ideas are getting progressively more ridiculous, may I ask a ridiculous question? Are any of the options you guys are discussing even implementable? OR, is Alex even interested in implementing anything that you can develop? Because if the answer to either of those questions is no, we might as well just all start dating each other.

my pet hate -> people taking about spreadsheets and macros as if they are proper databases. :P

The answer to the question yes it is doable. I have no idea if alex is interested.

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 4:08 pm

*Ahem* Yeah I know. MS Excel is a pretty terrible database tool. In fact, I agree that it is laughable.

But come on. So simple to learn how to use.

I was working for an international company as an accounting intern and they used MS Excel as their database program, and basically I wrote a bunch of macros for them to save time, received a $100 bonus, a 33% pay increase, etc.

MS Excel is simple, easy, and user friendly. But not very powerful.

Can we agree on that? Or should we have a PM war. Because my friend, I will defend my platonic love for MS Excel to the death <3

So can anyone ask Alex if he has any interest in implementing something that we are discussing? I saw a moderator on here a while ago saying he'd mention it, but I'm just saying we could use some feedback.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:38 pm

DuceXcreW wrote:
*Ahem* Yeah I know. MS Excel is a pretty terrible database tool. In fact, I agree that it is laughable.

But come on. So simple to learn how to use.

I was working for an international company as an accounting intern and they used MS Excel as their database program, and basically I wrote a bunch of macros for them to save time, received a $100 bonus, a 33% pay increase, etc.

MS Excel is simple, easy, and user friendly. But not very powerful.

Can we agree on that? Or should we have a PM war. Because my friend, I will defend my platonic love for MS Excel to the death <3

MS Excel is ok for reporting that about it. Financial snapshots,etc but keep the invoices in a database.

I designed a data transfer database system for CAD models and drawings coming in/out for a multinational company on my placement year (which is like a internship during university), I didn't get anything....

DuceXcreW wrote:
So can anyone ask Alex if he has any interest in implementing something that we are discussing? I saw a moderator on here a while ago saying he'd mention it, but I'm just saying we could use some feedback.

I don't want to push my luck. I mentioned something like this before. I don't have to develop it anyone that is decent could do it, but I'm happy to. If people are interested then one of us could pm Alex.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:00 pm

in account have these options,
state your sex and preferences and age.

If sex == male && hetero find posts by female/etc etc etc.
etc etc
if age == ##, sort list by closist age aproxamation first then auto load that post with younger priviose and older after.

If sex== ### && preference == hetero, sort list == true, else continue
If preference == Bi, sort list == true, else continue,
If preference == gay, sort list == true, else continue,
If preference == not true, then ignore post.
break

and

we can sort this way by location (you choose)
as well as interests.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:27 pm

lol, I'm single, but not really looking. I'm happy in crush mode :P

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 7:02 pm

aspergian_mutant wrote:

etc etc
if age == ##, sort list by closist age aproxamation first then auto load that post with younger priviose and older after.

break

and

as well as interests.

I have NO Idea what any of that means, but it sounds like a feasable solution (I mean insomuch as theory. I'm assuming you aren't a pathological liar <3)

Ok. ALEX? We are ready now ^__^ <33 lol

Caravaggio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2008, 7:08 pm

ebec11 wrote:
lol, I'm single, but not really looking. I'm happy in crush mode :P

I'd be happy to have another female to call a friend even if dating isn't going to happen, particularly a local one.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 10:27 pm

I second the previous post how this system will actually work we shall see

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 4:59 am

aspergian_mutant wrote:

etc etc

break

and

as well as interests.

It wouldn't actually work quite like that but the basic principle is roughly equivalent.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:29 pm

LoL, yes I know, but if I made it more like actual code then most others would not understand it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 5:22 am

I like the idea regarding sorting by interests. Belief systems should come into consideration as well (but this is coming from a guy who bases liberal vs. conservative on whether or not someone believes in sex before marriage).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 5:22 pm

aspergian_mutant wrote:
LoL, yes I know, but if I made it more like actual code then most others would not understand it.

Sorry what I meant is you don't need that code, you don't filter the data once it has been retrieved. You just need to retrieve the users parameters either stored or through other inputs then retrieve the relevant data for that user.

Technically you can do it do it in a single SQL statement. However it so happens that the performance is better using two+.

That is the beauty of relational databases, there is little need for that logic that you put. Standard SQL does have operators but it works a bit differently from 'normal' code, although many versions of SQL are extended enabling it to behave in similar ways to 'normal' code. But in this case that is not necessary.

So the code that you need is database related and to make sure the parameters are transfered from the result of first statement (stored user parameters), plus any custom parameters to the next statement (data matching the parameters ), making sure it is valid and safe. Then to output the results in the desired format/template.

This is purely in relation to viewing matched personal ads. The entire application would be much more than that.

php is the scripting language. It is quite scrappy but it just about works.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:20 pm

Kewl, perhaps I should learn it
PHP, SQL, JAVA, HTML.