Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 12:12 am

I thank everyone very much for their responses. They have all been very helpful. While my son is very much like I was as a child, I do know that no two people are quite exactly alike, so having varied perspectives on the topic is very useful.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2008, 12:28 am

i used the monkey backpack for my NT daughter when we travelled becasue she had a habit of wandering off. i was doing it by myself with 2 kids under 4 so it was just a safer alternative and she loved having her own back pack that we got to put snacks in.
i agree with all the screw the dirty looks and just get it for safety. yes he will have to learn to look out but at 2 he is young to be doing that anyways and add inthe autism that just magnifies the situation.
the important thing is you know why you are doing it, it is not so you can wander around without being attentive to your child it is so your child doesn't bolt.
i would rather have the nasty looks and criticisms of others and still have my child, than to have been so worried about everyone else and have lost her somewhere.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 2:44 pm

He is a runner. And he's so quiet about it. I want to let him walk, but I also want him safe. I ordered the puppy back pack. If he hates it, I won't make him wear it, but I want to give it a try. Thanks for all the input everyone! And the person who sent me the puppy back pack link!

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm

I briefly tried a wrist strap on my son but after he nearly ended up under a bus because I got tangled in the dratted thing as he made a lunge for the road I stuck to hand holding. I developed a grip of iron as he never became safe around traffic. I had a puch chair with a harness for when I couldn't hold his hand or when he refused to walk. The difficulty of taking him anywhere was one of the reasons he had to go into residential care at 15. When someone is as big as you, and faster, and doesn't mind thumping you to make you let go it is rather difficult to stop them from chasing cars! I can feel a panic attack coming just from thinking back on it!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

My mom wishes there was something like this when I was a kid. There probably was but we didn't have Amazon back then. I did see the kind that attaches around the child's wrist. That looks like a good way to injure the child and my mom says I would have undone it and attached it to a tree when she was distracted....I probably would have too. The kind I see noways with the stuffed animal in the back I would have also easily escaped from too. The straps are in the front. Do the people who make these not realize that any kid with the determination to escape is going to realize that?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/577709664/ ... MoQAvD_BwE

Something like this would have been better. But do they seriously have to call it an "autism harness"?