Burial 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Cremation 63%  63%  [ 31 ]
Other 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 49

Elovic
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2008, 5:37 pm

I pick cremation so my family and relatives doesn't have to tend to a cemetery plot after I'm gone. We don't tend to our deceased family members graves anymore, and I hate thinking about them, all weedy and neglected and how the family members in question have paid for them to be seen to by strangers that get paid to do so for so and so many years ahead and how the graves then will be destroyed.

Also if I'm in mourning I prefer to mourn wherever I happen to be, I don't need a special spot to go to to remember my beloved ones. Whatever I associate them with, it's certainly not a cemetery.

I'd rather spend my money on something else - for example a grand life size statue of me on a unicorn with a sword in my hand, preferably somewhere where absolutely no one knows me - like Corsica for instance! If there is such a thing as an afterlife I'm sure that would put a smile on my astral face.

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 5:54 pm

I think i'd rather be creamated, so I can be with whoever misses me, in ash form!

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:28 pm

I remember a thread like this too SilverProteus, and I'll say basically the same thing I did before.

I would like to be cremated on an open air pyre. Or perhaps in viking fashion, on a boat out to sea.

Otherwise I'd take just being dropped off in the ocean and let the fishes strip me of my flesh over being stuffed into a coffin. But if it must be a coffin, I want natural wood, something worms could get through quicker than that confounded metal stuff they make coffins out of nowadays.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 7:05 pm

How come shark bait isn't an option?

My hubby is under strict instructions to take me shark fishing. :D

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:08 pm

Pepperfire wrote:

That's a very romantic notion, Pepperfire, I think I'll adopt it! :lol:

bikermark

27 Mar 2008, 7:09 pm

Throw me out for the animals to dipose of, or cremation, then spread my ashes on pot plants.

Mark

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 7:11 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:

We hold no monopoly, SP, you're welcome to share it and I'm certain the sharks will appreciate it. :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

I have a macabre gothic streak; I do want to be buried. I would like to be put in an elaborate decrepit crypt. Very appealing, somehow.

My father was cremated and his ashes were sprinkled over the Inlet. I am not especially sentimental, but I loved my father. Sometimes, not too often, I have 'orphan pains.' I wish I had a place to go where I could touch his grave in private.......there is nowhere. The Inlet is vast and he's gone. Please don't ever tell: He's long since dead and I have no place to visit my parent, whom I sometimes miss. I've actually gone to the hospital room where he died. No one knew, of course, but I sat in the hallway nearby because I think I felt....sad? I have nowhere to go to visit when I need my parent. I miss him on occasion. He understood autism. No one else has ever been so kind to me. He won't come back either. I cried in the hospital hallway but no one saw, which is best.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:43 pm

Pepperfire wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:

We hold no monopoly, SP, you're welcome to share it and I'm certain the sharks will appreciate it. :)

Good to know. I'm thinking about sharks chomping down on my flesh right now, it's the afterdeath I've always wanted! :lol:

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:45 pm

tomadao wrote:
Do you want to be put inside a casket, stink, get rotten and turn yourself into worms' food?

Do you want to be put inside a 1600 Fº oven, turn into ashes and have your ashes thrown at sea / buried / stored by your family?

Or do you want simply to be left lying at some place to feed the birds?

I prefer the second option. I hate worms, so I'd like to turn into ashes instead of feeding those a**holes with my delicious beef.

No worm will eat either method of burial.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

I wanna go out like a viking b/c now they just preserve you in those steel, oxygen free, hyper clean boxes that just doesn't seem natural but recently I heard of some people trying to do more natural burials and their having problems b/c most burial companies are really greedy and don't want this cheap competition (doesn't cost much to be put in pine box and buried in dirt.) b/c they charge thousands of dollars to do it.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

I'd have my DNA extracted, and then used to create thousands of clones of me. :twisted:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:10 pm

Buried in Styrofoam Peanuts? Seems...approrpiate packaging.

Gosmokesome
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2008, 9:04 pm

I was thinking, maybe being airdropped into a live volcano?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 9:20 pm

I'd like to be buried.

Cremation absolutely terrifies me.

Three years!

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 9:55 pm

there is something really, really morbid about trying to preserve a corpse for as long as possible even though no one is going to be looking at it ever again (hopefully).
it seems like a lot of time, expense, and gross when all my loved ones are going to do is look at a grave marker. what's teh diff if i'm not actually under it?