Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have a problem with staring at things and or people?
yes 81%  81%  [ 38 ]
no 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 47

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2008, 10:39 pm

Anyone else here have a problem with "staring" at people or thing way too intensely? My gf has to remind me constantly when we are out not to stare or she will tell me to blink.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:46 pm

I do this alot.

It just focus on the little flecks of dust in the air,and it looks like i'm staring at someone,since they generally
follow in currents people that move.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:06 pm

What demoluca said. I also furrow my brow which makes people think I'm glaring at them. "It's all about you, yep!" When I may not even know what's in front of me. When I'm exercising, I make a special effort to ease the brow and smile at people because they're doing the same thing.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm

"Its all about you"

Yeah hate it that people assume so much

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:25 pm

Sometimes but break eye contact very quickly.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 12:12 am

Oh man, I get this all the time. Like during class I will stare intensely at a fixed spot or object in the room, and kind of "zone out" and won't realize it, then once I snap back in I realize it looks like I am staring at one, and then that person gives me the looks like I'm creepy or something.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2008, 12:12 am

I was accussed of staring by a dumb trendy classmate when I was 14; wrote something about me titled "The Loser who Stares" or some such. . .

I still look at people a lot but I'm not sure if that's staring because I look away if they glance my way and try to keep it brief all the same. I guess it's easier not to stare for those who are busy socializing; not bored and alone.

Odarp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2008, 12:16 am

i stare a lot, (thing and people) and i zone out often, but if someone tries to make eye contact to me while im staring i would turn around right away

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 12:23 am

my gaze is never high enough to meet other people's at least not usually.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 1:13 am

sometimes I stare at something just to think or clear my mind.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 1:20 am

I stare at people I like (which isn't many); I don't know why I do it, but I'd chalk it up to repetitive behavior (it is repetitive). I like staring at pictures and words concerning things I like; it's probably the same thing with people.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 7:45 am

I voted: yes.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 7:51 am

just the other week... was talking with my adviser and a close friend... and as soon as the conversation kinda turned to something just between them... ie- it was an extended amount of time where i wasn't involved in the conversation... i dunno what happened, but i blipped out and came to with my friend laughing at me as asking me WHY i was just staring at him!

i was embarrassed cause i WASNT looking at him, but through him and was just off thinking about things. though i think is was staring in his general direction cause he was the one doing most the talking.

i get the "calm down" or "lower the volume" thing too a bit more often than the staring issues.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 8:46 am

One of my many nicknames in junior high/early high school was "staring girl."

And then when Tim Burton released his first episode of this particular flash cartoon, the nickname stuck for the next year.

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/movies/stain01.swf

I think you'll see why.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 9:25 am

Yeah. My parents always reprimanded me for "staring" -- and they didn't mean at people, generally, they just thought it made me look weird. They said my brother did it too, they called it "staring at air".

I got known for staring at walls and other blank surfaces when I started changing classes in school, and dealing with it by staring at things that didn't change and losing myself in them or in the colored patterns my retinas put on them. It got to the point where in some places kids would introduce me as "This is Amanda, she stares at walls."

And of course I continued to "stare at air" a lot, which was and remains usually just what happens when I'm not paying attention to (or able to make sense of) visual input.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:50 am

No. I find that if people just stare at me, it's rude. So I try not to do it to other people. Also, if I do end up staring into blank space, one of my eyes starts going upwards (it's a lazy eye). So I try not to do that. It makes me look kind of insane... :wink: