Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 7:34 am

Anyone who believes this enviro-crappola is an uncritical loony. No thought at all.Just fear. Loonies. the lot of you.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:57 am

At least it was fun. A few us gathered at a friend's home. We had a ton of candles and talked, I even found out that one of my friends is also a aspie! We both freaked we where so happy.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 3:07 pm

Ask yourself some simple questions.

Have you ever heard of any country that has oil, run out of it?

Gold is a finite resource. Does it make sense to you that we stop mining Gold?

Is technology standing still? Aren't there more scientists than ever working on this problem?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:48 pm

Wrong Planet, Earth topic

I tell people I am selfish. I reduce, reuse, repair and recycle because I am cheap. I spend less money by walking, riding a bike, wearing used clothing, and not eating out. If this helps the earth, then good. I just think it is sensible. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:48 am

Headline on Drudge today, there was no measurable decrease in electricity usage during the lights out, at least for Oz.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... _to_earth/

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

31 Mar 2008, 12:26 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Ask yourself some simple questions.

Have you ever heard of any country that has oil, run out of it?

Gold is a finite resource. Does it make sense to you that we stop mining Gold?

Is technology standing still? Aren't there more scientists than ever working on this problem?
NO. No. No. Yes. Furthermore, things like Nylon, sulfuric acid, elemental sulfur, the raw carbon for graphite and parafin all come from the processing of petroleum, it's more than just replacing the energy on a joule to joule basis, it's replacing all the things listed above and more

Professor Pretorious, where does this theory about oil being renewable come from? Can you provide a reference I can look up?

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2008, 12:57 pm

Global warming is a scam designed to control people CO2 is not a big issue compared to pollution.
but if you control CO2 output you can control life itself. and what they really want to do is start to de-populate the planet. and to do that they will try every scare possible to justify restricting access to resources needed for supporting the population as it exists today. the end result will be that we starve and freeze out a good part of the population. and possibly start forced sterilization .

I refuse to be a part of this. I turned extra lights *ON* for earth hour.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:05 am

velodog, I'll look it up for reference. In the meantime, check out how the Russians found their oil fields without Western know-how.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 8:21 am

nutbag wrote:
Anyone who believes this enviro-crappola is an uncritical loony. No thought at all.Just fear. Loonies. the lot of you.

1) You incorrectly assume that all environmentalists support Earth Hour. I certainly don't.

2) lol.

Especially at this:

nutbag wrote:
Bunch of bloody Marxist loonies. Does anyone other than Prof Pretorius actually think, or do you all simply soak up propaganda like passive sponges soak up spilled gravy? Like NTs do.

Edit: Let me put this to you. By acting the way have been around this issue (and this goes for quite a few others too) you do nothing to convince people that your view is correct. All you really achieve is alienation of the people you're criticising or simply, laughter.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

Earth Hour was roundly ignored chez Tequila.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:49 am

If any of this stiff was truly important, then why does AlGore not give up his mansion and G5 aircraft and live in a cave? Why don't all the small minded earth hour drones give up central heat and live in caves?

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:54 am

nory wrote:
Nelly Furtado is Canada’s Earth Hour Ambassador and she was singing her song for the live Earth Hour Celebration in Toronto.

To all the skeptics and critics, it’s not actually important what it will accomplish in and of itself, it is a collective gesture of awareness for future change.

Critics say for instance that these two hours are not going to do anything to save the planet, but it’s giving news programs and educators everywhere the chance to make a statement and inform the public about various things, bringing awareness to other environmental themes and energy conservation strategies.

I learned on the News tonight for instance that if every Canadian just switched one incandescent bulb for a compact florescent, the energy saved would be equivalent to taking 57 thousand cars off the road.

On the news they showed lights going off dramatically (like the above picture) in major cities all over Canada but I noticed they neglected my city. And while I was out at 8 o clock no one seemed to notice and the view of the city I had from the shopping center I was in showed some but very little difference between the city scape as it was normally. I even asked a waitress and she stared out for some time and said that to be honest, it did not look much different from how it usually looked on any other given night. A big disappointment.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mlRZ4R55j4E[/youtube]

Yay Nelly Furtado
is Earth Hour tonight :roll:
This whole earth hour is total crap, I have been doing my part using
florescent lights, and reusable bags while shopping, and I have recycled
my pop and beer cans for years, it pisses me off that a bunch of brain
dead idiots who think turning off lights for an hour is going to help, they
are deluded, conservation is a life long conviction, not an hour long world
wide celebrity event, that you can time while drying your clothing on the
high setting. The whole darkness thing has more to do with the cities across
the world that are using poorly designed street lighting which is causing light
pollution, most of the light is wasted lighting up the sky, and not the areas
where its needed. If people are serious about saving power, then they have
to get after the cities over the light pollution caused by the use of inefficient
street lighting, and have bylaws against light polluters.

I had to make a facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10826818444

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:29 pm

This just in: discovered this year, a field of Natural Gas estimated at 516 trillion cubic feet in the USA. This is so large it has been termed a "super giant".

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

02 Apr 2008, 7:36 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
velodog, I'll look it up for reference. In the meantime, check out how the Russians found their oil fields without Western know-how.
Thanks Prof. I'll be done with my overtime schedule soon and maybe get off my duff and do some looking into this after I catch up on some sleep. That and getting my diagnosis may keep me occupied for a few days.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

Earth Hour was a huge waste of time, in Edmonton and Calgary, being that the Oilers - Flames game was on, during Earth Hour, nobody was even aware of this dumb event. The entire concept of this event is just to phony, and shallow. and its not going to help the environment in any way, what so ever, all it did was make a bunch of pseudo environmentalists feel a smug and self righteous for an hour, while sitting is a dark room eating crunchy granola, and singing Kumbaya. I am all for saving the environment, but this one hour touch feely crap is not going to help, power usage actually went up in Calgary during this event.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

If you don't believe me, check the Popular Mechanics website. Scroll down, and on the right side is this month's article regarding oil. They have a map showing recent discoveries. It would seem we've re-discovered so much oil worldwide, that there is no sane person who could go around talking about a shortage.

(Now if BP would get off their arse...)