Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alphacent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2008, 12:15 pm

I have seen several scientific articles linking the presence of short alleles of the 5-HTT serotonin transporter gene to anxiety disorders such as depression, paranoia, SAD, as well as to autism (and AS). I am wondering if anyone knows of any molecular biologists who are actually testing people for these "short alleles." Certainly in today's world of modern medicine, such a test should be possible.
There are other genes, as well, that supposedly make one more susceptible to having AS. Are any researchers actually testing Aspies for these genes?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:18 am

One should hope not

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2008, 10:35 am

Testing for genes is one thing but how do these genes (if in fact these genes actually are involved in AS) contribute to it? Secondly, and I say this as an NT (who feels more in common with Aspies but bear with me) that it doesn't matter that they are tested now since the genes would have already been active. It's easy to say oh such and such gene causes AS but one should realize AS is complex and that every aspie is different so caution should be used here.