Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

alphacent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2008, 12:17 pm

I have seen several scientific articles linking the presence of short alleles of the 5-HTT serotonin transporter gene to anxiety disorders such as depression, paranoia, SAD, as well as to autism (and AS). I am wondering if anyone knows of any molecular biologists who are actually testing people for these "short alleles." Certainly in today's world of modern medicine, such a test should be possible.
There are other genes, as well, that supposedly make one more susceptible to having AS. Are any researchers actually testing Aspies for these genes?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2008, 2:13 pm

alphacent wrote:
I have seen several scientific articles linking the presence of short alleles of the 5-HTT serotonin transporter gene to anxiety disorders such as depression, paranoia, SAD, as well as to autism (and AS). I am wondering if anyone knows of any molecular biologists who are actually testing people for these "short alleles." Certainly in today's world of modern medicine, such a test should be possible.
There are other genes, as well, that supposedly make one more susceptible to having AS. Are any researchers actually testing Aspies for these genes?

A company in France: Integra Gen is in clinical trials for one: http://www.integragen.com/Autism.673.0.html