Faking Aspergers? brain cancer, and wheelchair

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

99ii
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2008, 12:44 pm

This was in 1992. Since then, this woman, appears to be claiming other mental differences/illnesses, possibly Aspergers.

THE PERFECT VICTIM
BY CARYN B. BROOKS

wweek dot com/html2/25-1992.html

Enter a county corrections officer named Azalea Cooley.

As an African-American lesbian confined to a wheelchair due to brain cancer, she earned a diversity hat trick.

On May 3, she reported a swastika and the word "n****r" spray-painted on the Southeast Portland home she shared with girlfriend and fellow officer Susan Soen. Soon came a string of nasty notes and burning crosses. Portland peaceniks went ballistic: The attacks on
Cooley represented the intolerance loose in the land, and the police seemed powerless to prevent them.

A drum-thumping Cooley (pictured above) led a "Take a Stand Against Hate" rally in November, and the police vowed to catch the unknown hatemongers. But authorities were stumped after close surveillance failed to deter further attacks. On the eve of the rally, officers filmed the house without telling Cooley and Soen. On video, the supposedly disabled Cooley crept into the yard on her own two feet to set fire to a cross. In November, she confessed to committing 21 of the acts herself and faking brain cancer as well. She was sentenced to two years' probation, two months of home confinement and psychiatric counseling. When we last tracked down Cooley, she was living in California and working with the mentally ill.

Last edited by 99ii on 29 Mar 2008, 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

99ii
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2008, 12:50 pm

THE PERFECT VICTIM
Azalea Cooley, cause célèbre

BY CHRIS LYDGATE

wweek dot com/story.php?story=5696

November 10th, 2004

Lesbian. Black. Wheelchair-bound. Suffering from brain cancer. It was hard to imagine a more vulnerable target.

In May 1992, when a 40-year-old former corrections officer named Azalea Cooley said that vandals had spray-painted a swastika and "Burn, n****r, Burn" on her house, Portlanders reacted with a reflexive kick of outrage.

The mayor, the Police Bureau, the Urban League, the No on 9 Campaign, the Anti-Bigotry Coalition, the Metropolitan Human Rights Commission--everyone jumped to condemn the attacks.

Despite the outcry, the harassment continued. Swastikas. Threatening letters. Burning crosses. One morning she found a black plastic doll on her front porch with a .38-caliber bullet lodged in its forehead.

These crimes touched a raw nerve. After the murder of Ethiopian student Mulugeta Seraw by skinheads in 1988, and the battle over homophobic Ballot Measure 9, Portland no longer seemed like the friendly, tolerant town we once believed in.

Community activists rallied around Azalea, holding all-night vigils and setting up video cameras on her porch to nab the perpetrators. All to no avail--the cameras malfunctioned, and the sinister stalkers seemed unperturbed by potlucks and prayer drums.

By mid-September, the Portland police had gone from baffled to suspicious. Without telling anyone--not even then-Police Chief Tom Potter--investigators set up cameras in a neighbor's apartment.

On Nov. 1, supporters held a rally to "Take a Stand Against Hate," which began with a spiritual "wombing," after which Azalea, in her wheelchair, led a throng of 500 protesters in a march across the Hawthorne Bridge to Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Those protesters had no idea that a secret police videotape from that very morning showed a woman with close-cropped hair step past her wheelchair, stick a wooden cross in a flower pot on her back porch, and set it alight.

It was Azalea.

When detectives confronted her with the evidence, she slashed her wrists and was hospitalized. A week later, she penned a handwritten note, confessing that the incidents had been staged, and admitting that she didn't have cancer or need a wheelchair.

The news stunned her supporters. "You don't know, 'til you've met someone like this, how bizarre it is," one friend recently told WW, recalling how Azalea shaved her arms and dyed her eyebrows to simulate the effects of chemotherapy, and earned extra fem cred by claiming that her cancer was being treated with black-market RU-486. "That woman's agony was real. She was really lonely--in some deeper sense than just not having friends."

Twelve years later, it remains unclear why Azalea faked the attacks. But the reason she got away with it for so long is painfully obvious. At some level, we wanted to believe her. Her story seemed to confirm a dark, paranoid vision about the forces of hate running loose in America--an anti-fantasy that gave us permission to distill our shock and empathy into a jolt of pure rage.

Indeed, America was so hungry for victims in the early '90s that some activists continued to champion Azalea's case even after she admitted making the whole thing up.

Following her confession, Azalea dropped out of sight. WW tried to locate her several times over the past decade. The last we'd heard was a vague report from her former lawyer saying that she was living in California and working with the mentally ill.

WW finally tracked her down in Vallejo, Calif., a working-class suburb north of San Francisco, where she lives in a one-story house not far from Interstate 80.

By all accounts, she remains a reclusive figure. Neighbors say she lives with her sister, Linda, and a black-and-white Maltese, Mitchell, in the house where she grew up.

She was not eager to speak to WW.

"I have nothing to say that anyone in Oregon should be interested in," she said. "I was sick during that time and I'm better now. I haven't forgotten what happened up there. It never leaves me. I can't go back and change what happened in Oregon. It's the most painful thing in my life. But that life is over. I have a new life. A better life.

"I went through a lot of therapy, a lot of hospitalization, and I have become a healthier person. I have a relationship. I have a dog. I am a normal person. In fact, you couldn't pick me out of the crowd if you saw me walking down the street."

Which is puzzling, because neighbors in Vallejo say Azalea does not seem to be in good health. They say she uses a wheelchair and takes a long time to answer the door. They say she told them she has cancer--a tumor in her spine.

Azalea was not interested in pursuing this issue. "I have started a new life," she said. "Let me just get on with my life. Find someone else to harass, OK?"

DaveSeidel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

Looks like another autism0/elan_i clone, Alex.

And as I asked your sockpuppet on the AS forum, how is this relevant to anyone here?

Why don't you try being straight-forward for a change and tell us your agenda?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 2:23 pm

DaveSeidel wrote:
Looks like another autism0/elan_i clone, Alex.

And as I asked your sockpuppet on the AS forum, how is this relevant to anyone here?

Why don't you try being straight-forward for a change and tell us your agenda?

I second that.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2008, 2:25 pm

I'll third it... from what I read, there is nothing in that article that says anything about aspergers... or even about faking it. Why is it even suggested in the title of this thread???

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 2:26 pm

And the article mentions harassers in such a negative light. :roll:

DaveSeidel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2008, 2:28 pm

SilverProteus wrote:

Ironic, isn't it?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 2:39 pm

DaveSeidel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Ironic, isn't it?

Sadly. :roll:

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2008, 2:40 pm

Ok, I'm missing something... obviously... SP, care to clue me in???

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 2:45 pm

Apparently, this poster has created numerous accounts to cowardly harass someone. Here's another of his/her threads: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt60528.html

He/she has been banned, but keeps popping up.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Mar 2008, 2:48 pm

i keep this little guy handy. my own orly owl, seems this would be a good time to bust him out. (ignore the piece of rice on the desk, i was eating before he made a grand entrance)

Last edited by richardbenson on 29 Mar 2008, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 2:49 pm

I remember not understanding people with Bipolar.

I met family that claimed to be bipolar when they are not. I wasn't like an antibipolar. There is a different between not believing and refusing to believe in bipolar.

What got me to understand bipolar was allowing me to meet a legit person with bipolar instead of person that doesn't want anything to do except collect government check.

I was an open minded person. By meeting an legit person is way better to understand bipolar than those that fake it.

I ask that the person who keep posting is to try to have an open mind and not refused to understand Asperger Syndrome

P.S. I keep accidently typing biopolar instead of bipolar.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2008, 3:27 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Apparently, this poster has created numerous accounts to cowardly harass someone. Here's another of his/her threads: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt60528.html

He/she has been banned, but keeps popping up.

Well, that took a while to read and the whole time I was thinking they were talking about me! :bugeyed: Is that pretentious or paranoid... I'm not sure.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:53 am

Can't this person be IP banned?

30 Mar 2008, 5:59 am

This kind of stuff makes this forum more entertaining. I like to see what kind of s**t it causes; how people will react, what people are going to say, how far it will go.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 6:07 am

Setting out to upset people is entertaining??? WTF???