Autims and cures...another distrubing thing on autism speaks

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 2:44 pm

I agree with everyone. That still leaves what to do. Forming up in factions and going to war does seem the human response.

We are like an African nation, a section carved out by colonials that captured parts of the lands of three tribal groups, and called it a country. Each group has a different history, way of life, language, and come independence, becomes a self governing nation. Each group has supporters in the tribal lands, so the war rages on.

We have parents who seek any other answer than genetic, for that would mean they were the reason. So they look for something else to blame.

Vaccine becomes their scapegoat and cover, and hence the strong defense.

People who's children have cancer are not treated like the parents of autistics. They are not told they should do something. They are not told it is because they were bad parents. Working for a cure is their only defense.

Lacking the ability to come up with a cure, which makes them equal to science and medicine, they can only support other parents in their situation.

Some will need 24/7 total care for life. They will not be posting on WP. It happens.

Some will need 24/7 care for life, and will be posting on WP.

And the list goes on to those who can function just fine in the world, but are still autistic, still have issues best dealt with.

The lower limits can be marked, but I think there are a lot of sub clinical Aspies , Half Aspies, who fill the professions, and could benefit from knowing their status.

Just because someone is an Engineer, Medical Professional, Professor, making a good living, sharing the American dream, does not exempt them from sharing our common problems.

Which brings up, What is Autism? No one knows. The range of the affected can be measured, as above, but that is only part of the story. Autistic Spectrum Disorders fill a book without defining Autism. The best of Medical Science, can class two or more people under a label which fits the DSM, but those people will be very different.

Here Asperger's Syndrome is common, but the range is vast. No two alike. Being people, they do not compare well, and comparing them in any way with those who will be cared for for life does not work.

Some very frustrated parents do not like being told that autism is fun.

I do support Autism Rights, even for Aspies. But agree that they do not speak for all, and should just go out and live in the desert. I am sure that comment was meant as go to hell, but I have brought it up several times, that when your problems are with systems, structures, the world will not change, so it is up to those who need, to go find their place, and I like the desert.

Being in the upper age range I seek retirement, low cost of living, and quite. I have been working on it, an Autistic community is very possible. It will be for people who can bring their living with them, where those on SSI can become home owners. It will not be prime land, but food shelter, peace, are other values.

For those who say we do not believe in Doctors, and will not take our meds, Medical Science is real, there are no meds for Autism, but the Psychobabble Religion has yet to define Autism, give verifyable numbers, that Science stuff, and making up words does nothing but make them money. No known cause, treatment via drugs, or cure, but they are still fleecing the sheep.

The idea of a cure goes against what is known in Biology, Neurology, but I do hear that parents say, if my child was able to post on the internet I would consider them cured. So the Scientific meaning of cure, and functional meaning, differ. They want the best for their child.

It does not matter what I disagree with, only what I can do. I agree where I can. For one, they are right about WP being bad activists, protest does not bring change, and makes enemies of thinking people who understand the realities of life.

For sixty years I have been trying to quit this group, but no luck so far. What has worked is what I have done myself. I am happy to be on WP, I was happy living out on the mountain, with no people. I am happy when I control my life, income, and live as I want.

I value freedom, but it is not mine, if I want it, I have to support it for everyone, including those I disagree with.

Autism Speaks is not the parents who visit the forum. They have the usual stresses in life, plus an autistic child or two. Compassion is in order.