Autims and cures...another distrubing thing on autism speaks

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Who wants to be normal? Normal is boring.

Normal doesn't exist.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

Which proves that it's boring. :lol:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Pepperfire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Normal doesn't exist.

Not on its own.

It's like 'fashionable', 'likeable', 'average', 'good'-

it relies on a majority to be identified, and can and is usually fixed into the context of orientation in life.

Normal is not a fixed object on its own, but a reality nonetheless.

With all these social animals seeking identification with a group, label or mentality running around, it'll remain a reality for the close future.

Maybe we'll manage to influence the degree as to which it is anchored in people? That's what I hope for. Like, informing about ASDs in every way possible.

But boy, are people resisting. They rather stick to what is familiar to them. It's insane. I thought it said only autistic people do that... obviously NTs have BIG issues with this too.

Very resistant to knowledge the lot. They rather to cling to what they are familiar with - the epitome of nothing in itself: 'normalcy' which is avoid of self-meaning. And people don't notice. They assume it is a fixed entity. For whatever thick reason.

That's what gets me. They don't understand. That normal doesn't mean anything by itself. But they continuously give it meaning without realising it and then irrationally cling to it. To what they call a 'fixed measure'. Irrational.

Like your brother, they made me right-handed in school too. Not by abusing my knuckles. By ignorantly assuming that there is the possibility that I'm left-handed. Putting the pen into my right hand all the time. Ignoring that I had reason to take my left -

because being right-handed is normal, right? 'Everyone is.'

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2008, 7:36 pm

Sora wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Normal doesn't exist.

Not on its own.

It's like 'fashionable', 'likeable', 'average', 'good'-

it relies on a majority to be identified, and can and is usually fixed into the context of orientation in life.

Normal is not a fixed object on its own, but a reality nonetheless.

With all these social animals seeking identification with a group, label or mentality running around, it'll remain a reality for the close future.

Maybe we'll manage to influence the degree as to which it is anchored in people? That's what I hope for. Like, informing about ASDs in every way possible.

But boy, are people resisting. They rather stick to what is familiar to them. It's insane. I thought it said only autistic people do that... obviously NTs have BIG issues with this too.

Very resistant to knowledge the lot. They rather to cling to what they are familiar with - the epitome of nothing in itself: 'normalcy' which is avoid of self-meaning. And people don't notice. They assume it is a fixed entity. For whatever thick reason.

That's what gets me. They don't understand. That normal doesn't mean anything by itself. But they continuously give it meaning without realising it and then irrationally cling to it. To what they call a 'fixed measure'. Irrational.

Like your brother, they made me right-handed in school too. Not by abusing my knuckles. By ignorantly assuming that there is the possibility that I'm left-handed. Putting the pen into my right hand all the time. Ignoring that I had reason to take my left -

because being right-handed is normal, right? 'Everyone is.'

Essentially, that's my point. Even amongst NTs who'd like to believe they are "normal", there is no such thing. Everyone is sufficiently unique that there is no "normalcy" sufficiently common to enough people for me to accept the existence of such a thing.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 8:44 pm

I just posted this in a thread about us over here at WrongPlanet, saying we're all snotty little AS teens who think that a cure is horrible and that anyone low-functioning should just die... (horrible...)

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, these boards are policed by parents, who accuse you of being a fraud, if you do not agree with them.

In all honesty, that's one of the most unfair administration systems for an Internet community that I've ever seen (don't worry, I've see worse). I'm one of those people that evaluates everyone's opinion in a "no consequences" environment, if you will. Now if this person's opinion is a violation of a law or local code, that's different. But if two people disagree with each other and then start to hate each other, that's their fault. I don't hate people because of their opinion. I may not like their opinion because of my own, but the WAR that's going on here because of the differing opinions on how you should look at autism.

Oh please, people... We're all here because of one word, right? AUTISM. Or, in my case, Asperger's syndrome. And no, having AS does NOT mean that I'm an arrogant little teenager from Wrongplanet that hates your low-functioning child and thinks that a cure is the worst thing in the world. I'm a NON-arrogant little teenager from Wrongplanet that would love to get to know your low-functioning child and thinks that a non-medicated cure is fine, as long as it doesn't destroy the autistic person.

So, is anyone infuriated at me yet?

Thoughts?

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2008, 5:03 am

It is the parents and the kids I feel sad for. It is their strong desire to anything to help their kid get better, but at the same time many of them while they have the best intentions may be somewhat blinded by a potentially false hope. I've gotten some honest PMs from people who realize that if there is a so called "cure" it's not going to happen in their life time. There are parents out there that agree with much of us, but are afraid to admit it because of fear.

Even the NT's on that forum are divided. One thing I am learning: I thought I was sensitive, but it's turning out I'm not the only sensitive person in the world. These people must be treated kindly because they are sensitive. Their way of lashing out is (well you see it)... Some of us may physically shove someone away if they bother us, but NT's tend to use words and emotions to do the same effect. but if we can see past that and try to reach them, maybe there's some hope.

Anyone ever read Hope for the flowers?

It was something read to me by my 4th grade teacher. It's a picture book with a few sentences on each page, but it packs a powerful message:
http://www.hopefortheflowers.com/

Anyways putting aside a lot of scientific factual errors, it's got a profound message. I liken the pile of caterpillars in the story going nowhere to be like those searching ever so hard to find a cure... but at the mean time they fail to see what may end up helping them the most. In a way some of us are like butterflies trying to fly around the top of the pile, trying to communicate with the caterpillars telling them there is hope out there. The bummer is, as butterflies, we can't speak their language. We can only tug them lightly with our legs...

Not to mention some of us may have been on that pile at some point in our life trying to climb but somehow got insight.

Okay this is a strong mental image I'm trying to describe, if you're wondering.

But at the same time we must be respectful and put aside some of our emotions and opinions because a harsh action will turn them ever more against wanting to be helped.

I hope this makes sense. I should try going back to bed and get more sleep.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 5:21 pm

tmad40blue wrote:
I just posted this in a thread about us over here at WrongPlanet, saying we're all snotty little AS teens who think that a cure is horrible and that anyone low-functioning should just die... (horrible...)

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, these boards are policed by parents, who accuse you of being a fraud, if you do not agree with them.

In all honesty, that's one of the most unfair administration systems for an Internet community that I've ever seen (don't worry, I've see worse). I'm one of those people that evaluates everyone's opinion in a "no consequences" environment, if you will. Now if this person's opinion is a violation of a law or local code, that's different. But if two people disagree with each other and then start to hate each other, that's their fault. I don't hate people because of their opinion. I may not like their opinion because of my own, but the WAR that's going on here because of the differing opinions on how you should look at autism.

Oh please, people... We're all here because of one word, right? AUTISM. Or, in my case, Asperger's syndrome. And no, having AS does NOT mean that I'm an arrogant little teenager from Wrongplanet that hates your low-functioning child and thinks that a cure is the worst thing in the world. I'm a NON-arrogant little teenager from Wrongplanet that would love to get to know your low-functioning child and thinks that a non-medicated cure is fine, as long as it doesn't destroy the autistic person.

So, is anyone infuriated at me yet?

Thoughts?

I for one am a snotty 42 year old. If that helps.

I have to agree with MJI's assessment. They seem to have a better control over their physical emotions, don't throw physical tantrums and the like, instead, they throw emotional ones and it shows in their writing.

Honestly, based on what I've seen over there, I'd rather be here.

Good luck with it, Tmad40blue.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

My main wish is that people would stop generalizing and stop making decisions for other people based on uninformed assumptions about what those people might want. There is great diversity within the spectrum, and within each single diagnosis. Some of us suffer, some do not. Some want treatment for specific problems, some want to be cured, some want to stay the same. And just like non-autistics, people on the spectrum should be treated as equals who are capable of forming their own opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

I'm not offended by the idea of "curing" some autistics because some autistics want to be cured or given treatment. I'm offended by the practice of making decisions for other people without attempting to consult them at all. Assumptions about what is best for all autistics support this practice. And they are inherently inaccurate because we're all so different.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 8:38 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
My main wish is that people would stop generalizing and stop making decisions for other people based on uninformed assumptions about what those people might want. There is great diversity within the spectrum, and within each single diagnosis. Some of us suffer, some do not. Some want treatment for specific problems, some want to be cured, some want to stay the same. And just like non-autistics, people on the spectrum should be treated as equals who are capable of forming their own opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

I'm not offended by the idea of "curing" some autistics because some autistics want to be cured or given treatment. I'm offended by the practice of making decisions for other people without attempting to consult them at all. Assumptions about what is best for all autistics support this practice. And they are inherently inaccurate because we're all so different.

In contrast, I am offended by the idea of a "cure" if only because of the scientific ramifications of attempting to "cure" a genetic situation... Why not all just have blue eyes and blond hair.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

Pepperfire wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:

In contrast, I am offended by the idea of a "cure" if only because of the scientific ramifications of attempting to "cure" a genetic situation... Why not all just have blue eyes and blond hair.

I understand. Maybe cure is not a good word to use. Maybe the word should be "change" or something similar.

I think that people should be free to change themselves as they see fit. It is not uncommon for people to alter their hair color or eye color. I do think it would be good if ASD's were seen as something like hair color - a natural variation that people can choose to leave alone or change if they want to. "Cure" does signify a medically imperative change, which would be inaccurate since many of us do not want to change at all.

I should have worded that differently. I was thinking about how some people on the spectrum say they want to be cured, but I should have used a different word instead.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 9:02 am

The only thing i can say is, if the person they want to help asks for it, they need to help the REAL problems that , like sensory issues, not silly things like interests,eye-contact or hand-flapping.and even then its not a "cure" its just a bit of help is all.

*nod nod*

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 9:51 am

Here's the link to our own personal little thread on Autism Speaks... Do with it what you will. There's already 8 pages of it.

Wrongplanet's thread on Autism Speaks

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:17 pm

tmad40blue wrote:
Here's the link to our own personal little thread on Autism Speaks... Do with it what you will. There's already 8 pages of it.

Wrongplanet's thread on Autism Speaks

WP threads aren't personal on AS anymore,there are so many of them,or at least posts having a go at it during different threads and usually by the same users.
Am have replied on all the WP hating threads can think of but cannot be bothered with anymore for a while,as it gets very tiring.
wish the users of AS who have not joined in here but continue to stereotype WP,would stop- assuming everyone here is aspie/hfa,a teenager,is against the idea of cures,hates parents of autistic kids and so on,if they cannot be bothered to join in here for a while to see how it is instead of judging WP by what theyve seen posted by others,then that is there problem.
the majority of AS users are nice like WP-it's always the arguing ones who are heard and remembered the most.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:

I understand. Maybe cure is not a good word to use. Maybe the word should be "change" or something similar.

I think that people should be free to change themselves as they see fit. It is not uncommon for people to alter their hair color or eye color. I do think it would be good if ASD's were seen as something like hair color - a natural variation that people can choose to leave alone or change if they want to. "Cure" does signify a medically imperative change, which would be inaccurate since many of us do not want to change at all.

I should have worded that differently. I was thinking about how some people on the spectrum say they want to be cured, but I should have used a different word instead.

I think, given the circumstances "change" isn't quite the right word either... alleviate perhaps.

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

I agree it makes me Upset like I was telling my mom earlier today because it was our local walk for autism today that I don't like this whole lets try to cure them thing just because I have autism doesn't mean I am broken besides did they ever think about maybe some of us don't want to be cured P.S. I like your advitar of the banging the head on the wall.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 2:44 pm

I agree with everyone. That still leaves what to do. Forming up in factions and going to war does seem the human response.

We are like an African nation, a section carved out by colonials that captured parts of the lands of three tribal groups, and called it a country. Each group has a different history, way of life, language, and come independence, becomes a self governing nation. Each group has supporters in the tribal lands, so the war rages on.

We have parents who seek any other answer than genetic, for that would mean they were the reason. So they look for something else to blame.

Vaccine becomes their scapegoat and cover, and hence the strong defense.

People who's children have cancer are not treated like the parents of autistics. They are not told they should do something. They are not told it is because they were bad parents. Working for a cure is their only defense.

Lacking the ability to come up with a cure, which makes them equal to science and medicine, they can only support other parents in their situation.

Some will need 24/7 total care for life. They will not be posting on WP. It happens.

Some will need 24/7 care for life, and will be posting on WP.

And the list goes on to those who can function just fine in the world, but are still autistic, still have issues best dealt with.

The lower limits can be marked, but I think there are a lot of sub clinical Aspies , Half Aspies, who fill the professions, and could benefit from knowing their status.

Just because someone is an Engineer, Medical Professional, Professor, making a good living, sharing the American dream, does not exempt them from sharing our common problems.

Which brings up, What is Autism? No one knows. The range of the affected can be measured, as above, but that is only part of the story. Autistic Spectrum Disorders fill a book without defining Autism. The best of Medical Science, can class two or more people under a label which fits the DSM, but those people will be very different.

Here Asperger's Syndrome is common, but the range is vast. No two alike. Being people, they do not compare well, and comparing them in any way with those who will be cared for for life does not work.

Some very frustrated parents do not like being told that autism is fun.

I do support Autism Rights, even for Aspies. But agree that they do not speak for all, and should just go out and live in the desert. I am sure that comment was meant as go to hell, but I have brought it up several times, that when your problems are with systems, structures, the world will not change, so it is up to those who need, to go find their place, and I like the desert.

Being in the upper age range I seek retirement, low cost of living, and quite. I have been working on it, an Autistic community is very possible. It will be for people who can bring their living with them, where those on SSI can become home owners. It will not be prime land, but food shelter, peace, are other values.

For those who say we do not believe in Doctors, and will not take our meds, Medical Science is real, there are no meds for Autism, but the Psychobabble Religion has yet to define Autism, give verifyable numbers, that Science stuff, and making up words does nothing but make them money. No known cause, treatment via drugs, or cure, but they are still fleecing the sheep.

The idea of a cure goes against what is known in Biology, Neurology, but I do hear that parents say, if my child was able to post on the internet I would consider them cured. So the Scientific meaning of cure, and functional meaning, differ. They want the best for their child.

It does not matter what I disagree with, only what I can do. I agree where I can. For one, they are right about WP being bad activists, protest does not bring change, and makes enemies of thinking people who understand the realities of life.

For sixty years I have been trying to quit this group, but no luck so far. What has worked is what I have done myself. I am happy to be on WP, I was happy living out on the mountain, with no people. I am happy when I control my life, income, and live as I want.

I value freedom, but it is not mine, if I want it, I have to support it for everyone, including those I disagree with.

Autism Speaks is not the parents who visit the forum. They have the usual stresses in life, plus an autistic child or two. Compassion is in order.