Small town or City?What would be a better choice for aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 8:20 pm

I just want some opinions here on what would be a better place to live in for a person with Aspergers. I currently live in a small hick town in Manitoba, Canada (population 300 or so). I can't stand it and want to move to a bigger city but I don't know if the city would be too overwhelming to me. The cities that I'd choose between are Brandon and Winnipeg. If any of you guys out there have opinions on what is preferable to live in for an aspie (city or town) or, if you have been to, or live in Manitoba tell me which city (Brandon or Winnipeg) would be the better place to live in.

Thanks

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 8:39 pm

Hi. Maybe the outer suburbs or even a few acres of land on the edge of a big city is good for aspie so you have peace and quiet and still the services and good jobs.

Refresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2008, 9:27 pm

Uhhh....for me the Greater Toronto Area.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2008, 9:36 pm

I would think a small town would be best. You can get used to people and they can get used to you a lot easier i think. It is also easier to escape a crowd in a hurry. I think the size of "small hick town" may require clarification, to me this means one to four gas stations in the area,no walmart, no to few subdivisions etc. There is a lot in between this and a "big city".

I don't think i could survive in a place like NYC, just watching a movie scene of a NYC street makes my eyes lose focus and i start stimming.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 9:44 pm

I live in a small town-like neighbourhood of a medium sized city in Ontario, Canada. It's great because I can get the best of small town & big city. :)

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2008, 9:58 pm

I live in a small town with about 4,000 people. I use to live in a big city (over 200,000) and I hated it. I like where I live now because it's not too small where everyone knows what your doing. I can still be anonymous.

Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2008, 10:01 pm

Don't underestimate your ability to adapt to a big city. You may actually find out it's a much more comfortable environment.

Transmogrifier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

I have never been to a small town but from what I read from books, people living in small town seem to know each other a lot, this might be good for some people but for those who enjoy privacy, having people that know you well and might just come to your place for no apparent reason could be a nightmare.
I live in a city, the bad thing is pollution and it's really crowded, good thing is that there's some sort of anonymity, like you can have lots of privacy, and it's super convenient for grocery and stuff. It can be noisy but you can opt for apartments on a higher floor (I've once lived on the 41st floor).
I personally think a big city would be better for an aspie due to the privacy big cities can offer, but then again it depends on the level of light pollution and air pollution and noise pollution you can stand.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2008, 10:34 pm

I grew up in a big city and always wanted to live in the country. I now live in a small town
and I love living in a small town. for one less people. its quieter and I don't have to worry so much about getting beat up for walking on the "wrong" street.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:38 am

Definitely go for the big city. I've lived in both a big city and a small town. The city was great, but the small town was absolutely horrible! It was so bad that I never, ever want to go back there again in my life. Right now, I'm in a subarb city and it's great here!

chella
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2008, 4:48 am

I was just talking about this tonight. I would love to be in a suburb type small town outside of a big city. I hate all the noises and people in big cities. It depends on the person, I don't think there's a definite answer for all aspies.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2008, 4:55 am

I personally prefer big cities. As previously stated, they afford a certain amount of anonymity. Also, I lived in Paris, where people are generally spatially aware and respectful...people watch where they're going, and even tho the personal "bubbles" are sometimes small (ie the metro), everyone is respectful of each other's space.

Refresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2008, 8:44 am

Ah big cities usually have services for people with AS, as well a better chance of finding people who might understand you.

polarbear1010
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2008, 11:49 am

I live 5 miles from the nearest city Truro in Cornwall and I feel rather isolated. There's a dilemma with me on where I want to live, the big like New York where I went a week ago is noisy, polluting and unfriendly but there is so much to do in front and you don't feel you lie in bed all the time in boredom and isolation, I guess the city but sometimes the country so a bit of both rural and urban!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2008, 1:34 pm

im going to live in the united states for one more year and then im moving to the carribean. dominica specifically, its going to rule all

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

Being in a small town seems to work for me. I’ve lived here most of my life and there are people here who know my little quirks. Such as the people who work at restaurants that I show up at on a regular basis and know exactly what I’m going to order when I come in, or being greeted by the librarians who have known me since I was a child.

I lived in a larger city for several months and couldn’t handle how isolated I felt even though I was surrounded by lots of people.

In my opinion, living in a small town can give one a sense of having a place in the community, albeit an odd place. Where as being in a large city can give one an overwhelming sense of loneliness if you’re not used to such conditions.