Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

B2005
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2005, 6:24 am

Hi, everyone,

My wife and I, who are not AS (although we probably exhibit some of the mild characteristics which overlap with just basic shyness), strongly suspect that her sister is. We're not completely sure because she is in her late 50s and has never been diagnosed, but she sure seems like she is. As so many others have expressed (and as the name of this site implies), she has always felt different from others. She has challenges in detecting cues in conversation, tends to go into too much detail and not leave the other places to jump in, and is very resistant to change. My wife and I discovered AS a few years ago and immediately recognized her sister in the descriptions we read. Even though we're not technically sure, it's a relief to have a name for it, and know that it is recognized, and that she is not alone.

We have shared the information with her too, and I think she also is pretty sure that that's it, and feels a similar sense of relief. However, she doesn't seem that interested in having it clinically confirmed. I suspect she senses that to do so would represent a foundational change in her life, and at this point she's okay with her life as it is and doesn't need such a change. And that's okay.

I sought out this forum this morning hoping to find a place specifically for discussion by family members of those with AS. Since AS has only really come to the public's attention in the last decade or so, there must be many older people such as my sister-in-law who have never been diagnosed, and never received the kind of formal social assistance that is available for AS children now. It would be nice if there were a forum for them and their family members to share their experience of having lived with (possibly undiagnosed) AS as adults. We'd be very interested in talking to others in a similar situation. Although having our own forum would be great (similar to the Parents forum I see here), maybe we can start with this thread, or maybe one or two on the general board?

- J

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:15 am

welcome to WP, B2005. there are a few people here in a similar situation to you, so you're boun d to find some helpful stuff on here. :)

Vivi
(as Mod)

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:42 am

You are certainly welcome to start threads in the general or members forum if you wish. Actually, any forum you feel is appropriate to your questions/comments.

I can see where a sibling forum (or other adult relative forum) would be useful. I wonder how active it would be though.

BeeBee