Were You Considered Handsome/Cute as a Young Child?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2005, 2:37 pm

Yes, people thought I was a pretty child. And I look younger than I am. Classic aspie traits, I think.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 2:57 pm

I don't remember. I've always been a tiny child, but I don't know if I was considered cute. I'm better looking now.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 6:33 pm

Yes, I was a very cute baby. I had nice, long shiny hair - I was born with a head full of it and had long hair when most babies still have fuzzy baby curls. My parents were told over and over again that I should be a child model. But because I was terrified of the camera (probably an autistic trait, too), they didn't.

I don't look very youthful now, I don't think. I've always looked older than my age. I never get carded when I go out with my boyfriend.....or maybe it's because he's 41 and people just assume I'm of age.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 6:39 pm

One of my teachers used to think I was super cute but then I went through puberty and she went right off me. I was very angelic apparently....

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 6:54 pm

Yeah, I was, and I'm still considered handsome/cute.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 7:08 pm

I never was. In fact, lots of adults and parents of other children were rather swift to emphasise what they considered to be my 'ugliness', once they got to know me and take a dislike to me.

Oddly enough, both my brothers were fèted as being 'attractive', which might be one reason why lots of female social workers to an extreme liking to them, whilst seemingly loathing me.

Of course, if I had been attractive but unresponsive and uncooperative to the needs/demands of certain types of adult, that too could have produced the response I outlined above. They would dress it up in terms of personality, though I suspec that it may have had something to do with my seeing what they were after and rejecting their highly inopportune and inappropriate reactions. Certainly, the value judgements applied to me at that age informed upon my subsequent development.

It is amazing what impact a rejection of inappropriate attentions can produce.

I do know that during my emergent adolescence, much emphasis was based on my alleged 'unattractiveness' by those who presumed to set themselves up as 'being in the know' (by which I mean they seemed to prefer the average, run-of-the-mill juvenile delinquent, for various reasons).

From what little photographic evidence remains, it would seem that I was probably more 'attractive' than I was given credit for, therefore the undue emphasis in some quarters (both my peers and those who were 'looking after us') on stressing my alleged lack of attractiveness may have been based on something other than unbiased and rational critical appraisal. Be that as it may, the stigma of 'ugly' as ascribed by these people certainly attached itself to me, with the corollary of what that would mean to someone growing up at that time.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 7:10 pm

Yes. And must I go into the sickening stories?

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 7:42 pm

I'm going to be shameless and say yes, I was cute. Now, I'm just plain handsome.
We should start a 'child pic' thread. Put our pics up. Put your money where your mouth is.
I'd do it, but I haven't got any pictures of myself. I'll grab one from my mum when I'm home next.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 7:52 pm

I was never called "cute" or "pretty" as a kid (I'm male, btw). No one ever gave me compliments about my appearance, be it parents, relatives, or strangers. What they complimented me on to no end was my intelligence. It was usually something like "oh my god, he's so bright", followed by an ever-so-annoying pat on the head. After a while, I learned the pattern: saying something smart leads to getting a compliment (and the intrusive touch was somewhat tolerable). Eventually, I learned to provoke compliments on "command".

As for aspies looking youthful, I can't share that; my experience was the opposite. When I was 16, people told me I looked 20, and now (at 22), people tell me I look 26. That was pretty much the first compliment I ever got that had nothing to do with my intelligence.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 7:59 pm

Yes. I have been told by a lot of people that I was a gorgeous baby. I was cute when I was a kid, too. When I was in about fifth or sixth grade, I went through an awkward phase. Then around eighth grade I looked fine again.

Even now people tell me that I'm pretty, but I usually put little or no effort in how I look. When I do, I shock people (in a good way).

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:53 pm

Yes, inordinately so.

I wonder what happened...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2005, 10:15 pm

rhubarbpluscustard wrote:
Yes, people thought I was a pretty child. And I look younger than I am. Classic aspie traits, I think.

Me too. I still have people think I am a college freshman or a high schooler and I am a college Junior.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 12:40 am

I'm told I was cute, in fact, I'm still told that sometimes.
I also do have a larger than average head, my head circumference is in the 90th percentile (I'm also rather tall so that may account for some of my head's size).

Before this thread I had never seen anyone say a large head was cute :?. What's the general consensus?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 10:40 am

danlo wrote:
We should start a 'child pic' thread. Put our pics up. Put your money where your mouth is.

Neant has one started already

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&p=62512

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2005, 7:58 am

I was always considered very cute as a child. I had - and still have - thick, blonde haiir and light blue eyes.

But it's odd... I act so much yuunger than my age, but now everyone thinks I'm older. I'm 19, and a 23 year old girl thought I was older than her. When I was 15, a girl thought I was 21. I'm thinking it's because I'm rather tall at 6 foot, have a deep voice and don't shave often, so I have a lot of facial hair.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2005, 6:15 pm

I was cute as a child but who knows anymore.