Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Lordnarfington
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2008, 7:27 pm

Hello, I'm new here, this is my second post. I'm almost done with my second year of college as a computer science major. This last year has been particularly painful as it seems that I never understand what the professor is saying. Normally I have a hard time understanding the way the prof explains things rather than the concept itself. Normally I go back after class, talk to the professor and eventually understand, however, this method is getting tiring and sometimes I can get very frustrated. I guess theres nothing I can really do differently (but if anyone has suggestions please share). I guess I just want to see if anyone else is having similar issues.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:46 pm

I understand my professor sometimes but if confused I go ask them about what I'm confused about.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 01 Apr 2008, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:25 pm

Keep doing what you're doing. It is not a bad thing to spend a lot of time with a professor. You are who he'll think of when the right opening shows up.
We all have different learning styles and his particular lecture style is not meeting yours. Maybe the next professor will be a better fit for you.

rossf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2008, 8:44 pm

you may have auditory processing problems,I cant concentrate under flourescent lights,also if I look at someones face while they are talking to me very little sinks in,like I'm just not processing the information.this is vey common in aspies.Are you allowed to tape lectures also,especially if they know you have these problems?also many aspies learn better one on one as opposed to a room full of people with all the distracting little noises going on around you.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

01 Apr 2008, 12:46 am

JerryHatake wrote:
I understand my professor sometimes but if confused I go ask me about what I'm confused about.

does that help?

may your god forgive you

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:32 am

oblio wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
I understand my professor sometimes but if confused I go ask themabout what I'm confused about.

does that help?

Asking them yes it does because it worth the time to understand.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 2:00 pm

This is not the experience I had with my computer science courses so far. I am also a computer science major. (Yet again.)

Basically, how I studied was with copious notes of everything the professor said, whether I understood it or not, and drew on the board, whether it looked coherent or not, and by combining that with my knowledge and experience of programming that I had gained from our assigned programming projects. The result was a knowledge base of sorts, partly mental and partly on paper, which I could go over and study until I had the majority of it (enough to make nearly always A's!) mentally stored.

The nonsense your professor says and draws on the board is decipherable to an extent by the material in the book. Unless you are a genius, if you don't do the assigned homework in the book, study, or work on the assigned programming projects you will NOT understand much of the foundation for the content in the lectures that your professor gives. That foundation is what makes the professor's blathering eventually decipherable through proper studying.

Lordnarfington

01 Apr 2008, 2:02 pm

Thanx for suggestions guys. Actually, after much thought, I'm thinkin of dropping out of school for now and just gettin a job, somewhere in IT probly (I have A+ certificate and some experience in field). Really, there has been much going on with workload and I'm still not completely sure what my ultimate goal in life is. I guess I'm just tired of academia and want to experience simple routine of go work, come home, play games.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 2:55 pm

Lordnarfington wrote:
Thanx for suggestions guys. Actually, after much thought, I'm thinkin of dropping out of school for now and just gettin a job, somewhere in IT probly (I have A+ certificate and some experience in field). Really, there has been much going on with workload and I'm still not completely sure what my ultimate goal in life is. I guess I'm just tired of academia and want to experience simple routine of go work, come home, play games.

Why not do both at the same time, working a lot and taking just a few classes per semester? Maybe a slower pace for school will enable you to focus on the classes more.

SqrachMasda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 3:06 pm

i understand that all too well
if i knew any way around it i wouldn't be frustrated myself
instead i am just cynical and i hate professors
i think they are arrogant and stupid, in a way they have asperger's not me
they think they are smart because they've been teaching the same thing for like 20 years, as though it's their narrow interest
they think i'm confusing to understand but maybe they just can't understand me and i'm being clear
i'm sick of them all and i can't wait to be finished, they've been no help and they don't seem to realize I know more than them
i'm not being arrogant, on many occasions this is true
ah well
8)

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

I think my Poli Sci Professor has AS. He definately acts like it. Also He didn't get married till he was alot older and he's obsessed with politics economy elections and especially statistics involving those topics.