Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:50 am

What do you think, would happen if suddenly from some mysterious reason, majority of babies would start to be born autistic? I don't mean only children with AS but also those with a classic, low functioning Kanner autism? What means would be taken by the governments of countries then?

I guess that scientists would concentrate all their efforts on attempts to invent new ways of genetic testing that could help to detect autistic genes in hypothetical parents and that new law would be introduced - only those whose genetic equipment wouldn't show any signs of their presence would get licenses to procreate.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:22 pm

Maybe some thoughts? :)

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:30 pm

Thoughts? Humanity has enslaved itself, we're all tools used to fulfill some unseen goal. The machine has come this far, and so it won't be stopped. If your hypothetical situation came to fruition, the most extreme actions would be taken to help "repair" the machine.

Most people are completely institutionalized on the way things are, they fear change, even if it would be for the better. The example you've given can very well be one of the many ways the apocalypse will come to be.

Edit: I love your avatar.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

Don't certain studies try to say this exactly? That more and more autistic babies are born?

It's certainly interesting as to which visuals this idea leads. No idea what to say about it, just found it:

Is called 'autism rates'

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

Sora wrote:
Don't certain studies try to say this exactly? That more and more autistic babies are born?

But what I mean is not a number of them increasing now but a situation when a child not being on a spectrum is a big rarity and a baby with more or less severe ASD is a norm, an obvioussness baby's parents are prepared for and it's a neurotypical baby that is a big suprise for a family.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

Irulan wrote:
What do you think, would happen if suddenly from some mysterious reason, majority of babies would start to be born autistic? I don't mean only children with AS but also those with a classic, low functioning Kanner autism? What means would be taken by the governments of countries then?

I guess that scientists would concentrate all their efforts on attempts to invent new ways of genetic testing that could help to detect autistic genes in hypothetical parents and that new law would be introduced - only those whose genetic equipment wouldn't show any signs of their presence would get licenses to procreate.

Ok, I will continue where you left it.

Before the scientists could invent the genetic test to detect autistic genes, too many autistic babies would have already been born. After several years, these babies (some of them aspies and HFAs) would become adults and they would occupy all positions of authorithy in our society. The law to restrict procreation would be revoked, more autistic babies would be born. Governments would put all their efforts to make this world a better place for auties and aspies, and also for all the people who has some kind of disability like blindness, paralysis, etc. Then, the advanced alien civilizations who are observing us, would believe that the moment has arrived to reveal themselves. They will give us all their advanced technology and knowledge that could only be used for peaceful purposes. Humans will live in peace and harmony until the end of time.

Ok, maybe it's not very realistic but hey it is a "hypothetical situation" and I got carried away by my imagination.

of an infinite world.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 3:42 pm

Sora wrote:

It's certainly interesting as to which visuals this idea leads. No idea what to say about it, just found it:

Is called 'autism rates'

Evolution?

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 4:08 pm

If AS becomes the majority, we would adapt and exploit people the way we exploit them now. If Kanner's took over, though, then the 'machine' would be taken over. NTs and 'aspies' alike would quickly become a single minority. That would be an apocalypse in its own way. A complete change in the way the world functions.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

Ergh. Um. "Classic", "Kanner" autism was not what most people would currently call "low functioning," although most people currently automatically assume it would be.

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 8:48 pm

Irulan wrote:

hmmm....so maybe Einstein would not have been allowed to be born? Or Mozart? Or Newton? I was just reading they were thought to have AS. I hope they'd focus on early intervention to give kids social skills...but NOT affect the "savant"-like abilities of some.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:16 pm

On CNN, they promised a few minutes ago to talk about a guy that is apparently contributing sperm or something, and MANY are "developing" autism!

They open by describing a kid!

Seems wise behind his years!
read writes music!
memorized new yorks subway grid!
focused!
shy!
walks on toes...!

Oh yeah, he is 5 and a half!

The mother said she loves her son no matter what!

They are soon going to show "finding amanda". It is about one of the people here.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 02 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:50 pm

Thor wrote:
Irulan wrote:

Ok, I will continue where you left it.

Before the scientists could invent the genetic test to detect autistic genes, too many autistic babies would have already been born. After several years, these babies (some of them aspies and HFAs) would become adults and they would occupy all positions of authorithy in our society. The law to restrict procreation would be revoked, more autistic babies would be born. Governments would put all their efforts to make this world a better place for auties and aspies, and also for all the people who has some kind of disability like blindness, paralysis, etc. Then, the advanced alien civilizations who are observing us, would believe that the moment has arrived to reveal themselves. They will give us all their advanced technology and knowledge that could only be used for peaceful purposes. Humans will live in peace and harmony until the end of time.

Ok, maybe it's not very realistic but hey it is a "hypothetical situation" and I got carried away by my imagination.

HEJ! Hvordan har du det!?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:04 am

anbuend wrote:
Ergh. Um. "Classic", "Kanner" autism was not what most people would currently call "low functioning," although most people currently automatically assume it would be.

I mean - babies with such a low functioning form of autism which would force their parents to take care of them all the time. And how it would influence the world then.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
HEJ! Hvordan har du det!?

Jeg har det fint, tak. Hvad med dig?

(Undskyld, jeg kan ikke tale Dansk)

of an infinite world.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

03 Apr 2008, 7:42 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
On CNN, they promised a few minutes ago to talk about a guy that is apparently contributing sperm or something, and MANY are "developing" autism!
They are soon going to show "finding amanda". It is about one of the people here.

Finding Amanda? Hey, I didn't know they were looking for me. Not sure I want to be on TV though.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

03 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

Grey_Kameleon wrote:
If AS becomes the majority, we would adapt and exploit people the way we exploit them now. If Kanner's took over, though, then the 'machine' would be taken over. NTs and 'aspies' alike would quickly become a single minority. That would be an apocalypse in its own way. A complete change in the way the world functions.

Why are they called "kanners"? I've never heard that term before.