Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

Why do women find desperation unattractive?

Nobody laugh at me for asking. Calling questions stupid makes people stupid.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

Well, think of it like close friendships. If someone you don't think of as a friend seems really desperate to be your best friend, like say if they consistently try to stop to chat with you every time you say hello to them or tell you all about their personal issues and keep offering to help you out with things, would that make you feel awkward? Many people would not react very well to such an intrusion into their life.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:08 pm

MikeH106 wrote:

Wouldn't you have said the samething to girl?

zee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:50 am

0_equals_true wrote:
zee wrote:
Most people don't know how to handle compliments, other than simply saying 'thanks'. What more do you want? I think it's a good way to talk to people, both for romantic interest and friendship, or just co-workers you want to get along with. Just don't do it too much, but most people do appreciate compliments, even if they don't say anything to that extent.

True, I don't know how to handle complement but don't mind them. Although I don't like them if I don't think I deserve them, then it is just patronizing.

I really don't understand the concept of patronizing. Why would someone compliment you if they didn't mean it?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 5:20 am

MikeH106 wrote:

If people are desperate, they are more likely to settle for just anyone rather than someone who they find special. Most people like to feel special and don't like the idea that they are with someone whose chosen them just because they would have them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

camphortree
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 5:58 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Notice something special about them that sets them appart from the other girls. I try it on a girl call Jenni I told her she had the best most nobel job anyone could have. it worked too well, she found out that I wasn't a smoove talking on our date.

when i first read this i saw the words 'girl' and 'call' in the wrong order! :P

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2008, 8:21 am

MikeH106 wrote:

It's kind of pathetic.

And as Hector said, it may make someone feel akward.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:08 pm

zee wrote:
I really don't understand the concept of patronizing. Why would someone compliment you if they didn't mean it?

Well in the case of complements it could be faint praise or backhanded complements. I think you do rate how important a particular achievement/skill/quality is and sometimes being over complementary on something I feel insignificant can be a bit annoying. Also if the complement doesn't quite fit in with my plan/intention, I might take it as faint praise or backhanded. However this might be due to forgetting that people don't know what I'm thinking, although it is a backhanded complement if it something so simple that most people would not need to be complimented for it.

As to why, well I learnt a long time ago that people don't always say what they mean. There are varied intentions for saying something, though it is probably healthier to assume that most people are being honest, even if they may have got the wrong idea.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

MikeH106 wrote:

Almost everyone who answered this missed the point. Desperation is a social signal that conveys information about you. If someone is desperate for attention, it probably means that person gets rejected by almost everyone he tries to befriend / start a relationship with. If he's consistently rejected by others who know him better than you, it means that he probably isn't a very good friend / partner to have in terms of value.

It may sound unfair, and it is unfair, but this is how our brains work. In lieu of appropriate first-hand knowledge, we unconsciously make decisions based on second hand knowledge. Example: ("I don't know Johnny, but I know that he has a lot of friends and that everyone likes him, so he must be a fun guy to have as a friend.") This example working in reverse is what desperation sends out.

This is the same reason that when the exact same wine costs more, people think that it tastes better. In this case, they're using the market as the source of second-hand knowledge.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 4:24 pm

Lurv wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:

It's kind of pathetic.

That's a circular argument. It's unattractive because it's pathetic, and it's pathetic becase it's judged unattractive.

I want real answer.

Quote:
If someone is desperate for attention, it probably means that person gets rejected by almost everyone he tries to befriend / start a relationship with. If he's consistently rejected by others who know him better than you, it means that he probably isn't a very good friend / partner to have in terms of value.

In other words, you continue to reject someone after they've been rejected by others. Yes, I've read about that. It's like you want to sentence people to a Hell of eternal isolation.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 6:53 pm

I explained to you why being desperate is unattractive. It doesn't matter if you think it's fair, that's just why it is and it's how most people think.

AS4Life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2008, 9:41 pm

MikeH106 wrote:

Quote:
If someone is desperate for attention, it probably means that person gets rejected by almost everyone he tries to befriend / start a relationship with. If he's consistently rejected by others who know him better than you, it means that he probably isn't a very good friend / partner to have in terms of value.

In other words, you continue to reject someone after they've been rejected by others. Yes, I've read about that. It's like you want to sentence people to a Hell of eternal isolation.

Well here's the thing, most people want to associate with interesting people who will aid them, listen to their interests, and tell entertaining stories. With people of the same gender is marks someone who will help them get status, and resources necessary to survive. With people of different genders it marks someone who will be a potential mate. Women are attracted to someone who appears healthy, well groomed, and appears to be able to provide for them and protect them and their young. Those that can't do this are viewed as dangerous to the society as a whole and are shunned. So if someone acts desperate it signals those of the same gender that this person can't help them out later on, and to those of the opposite gender it means that this person is unable to protect them and their young or are not gonna produce young that would be attractive to others.

On to the main question at hand: compliments are great BUT realize that the more attractive the person the greater the chances that they've been complimented at least 50 billion times before on their looks. So when complimenting someone look for little things that can be complimented on quickly yet have the possibility to not have been complimented on before, for the more attractive girls its best to stick with flirtive teasing. But flirtive teasing is an art in and of itself. General rules are that anyone who is ok looking or isn't complimented often, then one or two compliments dropped into the conversation will go a long way, if however the girl is used to getting compliments (the more attractive the greater the chance) then start with teasing (especially when she's in a group) and wait for her to give you signals that she's interested in you before giving her those one or two compliments, and make those compliments be about her as a person from what you've observed instead of her looks.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

Nice post AS4Life. I agree 100%. Now I just wish I had figured these things out before I was 25. :cry:

AS4Life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2008, 10:55 pm

viska wrote:
Nice post AS4Life. I agree 100%. Now I just wish I had figured these things out before I was 25. :cry:

Don't worry, I'm as old as you and I had to be TOLD that. Also haven't had much of a chance to put that any knowledge to practical use. Seeing as how i'm not good at hiding my insecurities and I haven't been able to truly master that flirtive teasing stuff. (kinda fun to do though sometimes, with a responsive group of people)

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 11:35 am

MikeH106 wrote:

In addition to the above, it also suggests you'll be prone to co-dependancy in the (a) relationship, be a stalker, and/or put their peices in a freezer if they were to break up with you after dating.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:59 pm

weather1man wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:
weather1man wrote:
complimenting a woman makes them think your hitting on them, nothing more nothing less.

This just plain isn't true.

I compliment virtually every woman I know if and when I mean what I'm saying, that they look nice, that they look pretty today, that they are talented, that their new haircut is nice. And her giggling and saying thanks is a GOOD response. A bad response is either none, her denying it (which I can often find insulting) or her thinking you're a pervert.

Here's John Hopkins' two Keyz to Komplimentz.
1. Make it conversational.

2. Make it unique.

Number one is because if it seems like you've spent all this time just complimenting them, it WILL seem like you're hitting on them. When I compliment someone at work, I don't go up to their office to say it, I will say it in passing, often when I'm leaving the room, and sometimes not even stick around for a response, because it's for their benefit not mine. If you make it casual, it won't seem obsessive or perverted.

The second one is harder, but makes it seem like it isn't a line. It doesn't have to be totally unique ("you have the hottest kneecaps I've EVER SEEN") but don't tell them they look pretty every damn day. Sprinkle it about. Do it too much and you'll seem obsessed. Do the same compliment over and over, even spaced apart, and they'll just get weirded out. Have a set cycle of three that you rotate for each person will eventually arouse suspicion if someone notices or mentions it.
Errm, no because an aspie rarely puts it smoothly. When I was younger, I would say things. It's all and good to give a nice comment or two but if you think a girl is going to want to go out with you or like you any better because you compliment her your mistaken. Talk to her, get to know her, tease around with her, etc. It's hard as hell but compliments are not the best way to do anything. I personally find them annoying.

I think you may have misunderstood several key parts of my post. At no point was I claiming to provide any keys to getting ass.