A girl knew my name and talked to me without me knowing her

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 6:23 pm

I returned from New York on Sunday. On Friday I saw a Broadway play with the group i was in. When it was over I began walking up the street with my group and this girl I walked up beside to knew my name. She sais "Hi (my name). How did you like the play?" I told her it was good but asked her how she knew my name. She acted a little ackward and didn't answer. We talked so more and things were good. I also talked to her on Saturday. I had a bag from the Mac store located in Timesquare and she asked me what I bought. I added her to facebook and it turns out she has a bf, so she can't be interested in my romantically. She also waved at me today in the lunch room, I waved back of course. So, how did she know who I was? It is possible she heard my name from someone in the group, but I do find it unusual she would even pay any attention to me as no one usually does. Your thoughts?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:30 pm

My understanding is it's a bit of a social no-no to address somebody by name unless they've told you their name themselves. I guess that somehow she is unaware of this? I wasn't really aware of it either until I reached my late-teens.

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 6:31 pm

well, it isn't the first time its happened with other people. so who knows/

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2008, 6:36 pm

Maybe she was awkward because you didn't remember her but she remembered you.

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 6:37 pm

BesideYouInTime wrote:
Maybe she was awkward because you didn't remember her but she remembered you.

no, ive never met her before. i wouldn't forget.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:47 pm

Seems unusual, someone getting extra friendly with you. What's in it for her? That's what I would be wondering. She has a boyfriend already. I guess her motivation could be that she wants to be your friend, but then of course she was not introduced to you and so she was not really invited to do such.

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 6:55 pm

I dont mind much, I'm just curious whadt her motivation is.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:17 pm

I know this is a hard concept, but some few people are actually just friendly.

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 8:39 pm

Nnevermind I'll read posts.

Last edited by Praetor2379 on 02 Apr 2008, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm

I know a few girls who mark their status as committed in their social profiles, but in reality, they're single. They do so in order to prevent any of their male contacts who are mere acquaintances from asking them out. Maybe this girl in question is not single? Maybe she does have a boyfriend and is considering breaking up with him? You never know. Do consider asking her about her relationship status, casually, I've regretted not doing so in the past. Also, talking in a "I'm not interested" manner helps, according to my father (he used to be a pro with women during his modeling days).

Btw, sorry, I didn't read your last post. T_T

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

Praetor2379 wrote:
I returned from New York on Sunday. On Friday I saw a Broadway play with the group i was in. When it was over I began walking up the street with my group and this girl I walked up beside to knew my name. She sais "Hi (my name). How did you like the play?" I told her it was good but asked her how she knew my name. She acted a little ackward and didn't answer. We talked so more and things were good. I also talked to her on Saturday. I had a bag from the Mac store located in Timesquare and she asked me what I bought. I added her to facebook and it turns out she has a bf, so she can't be interested in my romantically. She also waved at me today in the lunch room, I waved back of course. So, how did she know who I was? It is possible she heard my name from someone in the group, but I do find it unusual she would even pay any attention to me as no one usually does. Your thoughts?
she's a myspace stalker. I dunno maybe she has AS or something. People think its weird when I remember their birthdays or fact or information about them when I barely know them.

EnglishRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

I know you aren't gonna read any more replies but for what it's worth, maybe one of your friends know her and maybe she liked you so asked them your name at some point previously?

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
I know a few girls who mark their status as committed in their social profiles, but in reality, they're single. They do so in order to prevent any of their male contacts who are mere acquaintances from asking them out. Maybe this girl in question is not single? Maybe she does have a boyfriend and is considering breaking up with him? You never know. Do consider asking her about her relationship status, casually, I've regretted not doing so in the past. Also, talking in a "I'm not interested" manner helps, according to my father (he used to be a pro with women during his modeling days).

Btw, sorry, I didn't read your last post. T_T
same here I know a girl who is listed as married to some kid when shes really single

Praetor2379
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

EnglishRose wrote:
I know you aren't gonna read any more replies but for what it's worth, maybe one of your friends know her and maybe she liked you so asked them your name at some point previously?

I dont really have any friends, so I guess she could have or maybe one of her friends I know mentioned me at one point.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:09 pm

This happens to me on a somewhat regular basis--- only i know that these are people I HAVE met before and i simply have no recollection of them. It's weird... some people I'll remember, usually if they're REAL unique looking or some special reason like that. But a few days ago at a job, I relieved one woman ( she was foreign, too, with an accent) and started my shift. The same woman came in in the morning to relieve me and I didn't know it was the same person--- I thought it was my first time meeting her. And it was obvious, too--- she said " I'm the nurse you relieved last night.". I felt embarrassed.
As for people who know your name and you are CERTAIN you haven't met her before---- is it a small group? some people know everybody, it seems. Maybe she knows someone who knows you and your name came up. maybe something like that?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
Seems unusual, someone getting extra friendly with you.

Yeah, be suspicious, check your wallet! :lol: