Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Batman88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2008, 3:36 pm

I have a question for the members here. When u read, do u kind of "hear" the words in your head. Does this effect the speed at which you read? Does your body kind of get tense when you are doing this? I am curious if this happens to anyone besides me and wonder if maybe it is a symptom of Asperger's.

Last edited by Batman88 on 03 Apr 2008, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

Yes I also do this, but I am intellectually disadvantaged for others reasons also have associated conditions like dyslexia, dyspraxia.. many people on the autism spectrum have others disorders

For basic Dyslexic assessment and others go to:
http://asplanet.info/forum/index.php?topic=20.0

But really have heard other people on the autism spectrum mention this, but we all seem to be different my son reading is very advanced and he is on the autism spectrum..

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 7:01 pm

When I read slowly, then yes, I "hear" the words in my head. When I read faster, no. I just see the words.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
When I read slowly, then yes, I "hear" the words in my head. When I read faster, no. I just see the words.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

In fifth grade we had a word/min scale, and therefore I failed on both speed read and comprehension.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Apr 2008, 2:30 am

Batman88 wrote:
I have a question for the members here. When u read, do u kind of "hear" the words in your head. Does this effect the speed at which you read? Does your body kind of get tense when you are doing this? I am curious if this happens to anyone besides me and wonder if maybe it is a symptom of Asperger's.

When I read, it is necessary for me to 'hear' the words in my head to understand them. There for, I read rather slowly. If I just look at the words and read at a supposedly 'average' speed, I don't take in any information and basically forget everything that I just read.
No, my body doesn't get tense when I do this...and I'm not sure if it's associated with AS or not.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2008, 2:59 am

I don't usually "hear" the words when I'm reading. I'm a very visual person so I go by eye mainly.