Asperger's and IT: Dark secret or open secret?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 4:02 pm

Asperger's and IT: Dark secret or open secret?
http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... iewArticle
Basic&taxonomyId=10&articleId=9072119&intsrc=hm_topic

Quote: We wouldn't even have any computers if we didn't
have Asperger's." Temple Grandin, Asperger's author

Asperger's teen pleads guilty to cyber crime
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4459672a12855.html

Somethink I have also been thinking about and in fact wrote this on my own web site 31 March 2008 - Reclusive:
"convincing someone I am capable when have no qualifications due to being intellectually disadvantaged etc..., I do have strengths others do not, but would am employer want to employ me with all my eccentricities... I do not feel I am able to do a normal job as get bored very easily, even at my age my mind continues to race 100 miles a hour at times, if someone told me to do some think that I could see problems with, being a perfectionist would not be able to do. Would have to change adapt...

In London my last job I was working on the implementation of a new computer system at a very large organization, which meant multi tasking and streamlining various processes, training others all at once, heaven for me. But with no qualifications to show I can do this, who would employ me - I just worked my way up and in between doing my job would write process manuals etc.. and I was just really allowed to do the job because I could and where others found near impossible. Unfortunately working in a very stressful environment for so long maybe was not the best thing for my health... is there such a thing as work life balance I keep hearing about!

I am writing this because there are so many very capable people on the autism spectrum and like me probably find interviews near impossible - had a few amusing experiences, my mind just goes into overdrive, confused chaos sets in Huh

But for now anyway I am happy being here for you all in cyberspace and have realized apart of that is excluding myself from society to a point anyway. Which means not having to deal with the continual stress of being an aspie and allowing myself to be that little bit different, and I am happy with that Wink for now"

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 4:34 pm

Keep it secret.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2008, 5:02 pm

FWIW, my husband manages an IT team and he is convinced he has AS. I think he'd definitely agree there's a higher percentage of people with AS tendencies/behaviors in the computer fields, as well as engineering.

Also, Temple Grandin ROCKS. :D

Ryno
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2008, 5:19 pm

G'day. (First post here, so please go easy on me!)

I'm one of the people interviewed for the article, and I think Tracy, the writer, has identified the big problem: until companies have obvious, viable, programs for staff with AS, then it's just not good sense to identify as having AS.

The potential for bad outcomes is greater than the potential good.

Of course it's probably still a good thing to say "I have problems concentrating with my back to a corridor" or whatever situation-specific issues there may be.

Given another opportunity, I would not openly declare my AS.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 11:04 pm

I was in the nerd business before the personal computers came along. I designed and maintained complex electronic communications systems. I was later on the cutting edge of the mini and micro computers design field for many years.

I did not realize how different I am from mainstream people (NTs) until I got out of the nerding business. Most of us were so alike, we thought we were the normal ones. Then, about 3 years ago I was introduced to Asperger's Syndrome. The light that turned on was a spotlight on my life.

I think a survey would discover a high percentage of autistics, especially AS, in any complex technical field which is advancing rapidly. The technically stable fields will, I suspect, have a lesser population of such.

Pops

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:18 am

Wired mag ran an article a couple of years ago about it:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers.html

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2017, 3:39 pm

both

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

I don't think it's much of a secret that IT subjects certainly tend to appeal to the more...socially awkward. Which makes sense when you think about it, considering it's a subject where it's kind of mandatory to work on your computer alone in your room for homework tasks. If that's not an invitation for people who like spending time alone in their room, I don't know what is.

At University, I'm currently working in digital design and production, and everyone in our class dislikes talking to people outside of the group. Which is unfortunate, since part of our course requires us to interview people. One day, my friend and I went up to some guy and we joked about how awkward it felt to interview someone we didn't know, and that guy simply replied "Don't worry, I work in computer science, so I get it". :lol:

Our class isn't exactly known for great public speaking skills either.

We had to film group presentations at one point, and our tutor commented on our video (I was in a group of five) that our group "all looked incredibly uncomfortable" when being filmed. I remember telling my sister what our tutor said, and my sister commented "Well yeah, you are a bunch of IT students after all, not drama students".

If my class is any indication, then IT students are certainly an anxious bunch. We had a lesson on Belbin's model, and we were told to take a step forward if we often felt anxious, and the entire class took a step forward, and the teacher looked shocked and wished us all luck. 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:28 pm

One thing that will never be taken away from you, no matter what, is your Dragon Hugs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:29 pm

Not a secret at all starting in 2001 when Steve Silberman wrote an article for Wired about it. Today there are tech companies specifically looking for autistics. It is so well known it has become an autism stereotype.

As with most stereotypes, there is some truth to it. Many IT jobs require systemizing and logical thinking known autistic traits.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:34 pm

Even though Asperger's wasn't around in the 1950s, a similar phenomena which combined "nerdiness" and intelligence was noted. People who fit that description weren't usually called "nerds." Rather, they were called "eggheads. Adlai Stevenson, the Presidential candidate in 1952 and 1956, was considered the quintessential "egghead." "Eggheads" were both respected and bullied.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One thing that will never be taken away from you, no matter what, is your Dragon Hugs.

:? What? Is this aimed at me (because Lost Dragon...dragon hugs...), or are you making some kind of joke that I don't get? Or both?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

I was talking about your "dragon hugs." Sorry for the confusion.

I give "Wolfman Hugs."

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was talking about your "dragon hugs." Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry...you've still lost me (no pun intended :D) on that one I'm afraid. So, it is because of the user name? Or does the term "dragon hugs" mean something else, like a metaphor/phrase? I'm confused, since saying "you still have" would suggest I've lost something which I haven't, unless you were talking about how badly our group presentation went...I have no idea.

Edit: Oh, is Wolfman like a superhero or something?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:43 pm

It's solely in reference to your "dragon hugs."

It's nice that you give them.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's solely in reference to your "dragon hugs."

It's nice that you give them.

I wasn't aware that I did. :? In fact, I'm not much of the hugging type really. Particularly hate firm hugs that you can't easily escape from. Maybe you were thinking of another person with a dragon username?