Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tokai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2008, 12:43 pm

All my life I've felt that I am more bothered by the sun in broad daylight than your "average" person in society. Unless I'm wearing sunglasses I always need to squint my eyes more than what I'm comfortable with when outside. Is this perhaps another undocumented aspie trait?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm

I can relate. I like dark places best, preferably tunnels.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 12:50 pm

I wasn't born with that problem but I developed a hypersensitivity to sunlight a few years ago and have needed tinted glasses ever since. When I looked it up on the Internet, I found out it may be part of sensory integration dysfunction and it is more common in aspies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_In ... ysfunction

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2008, 1:09 pm

Always had problems with sunlight...which I was always was told was because I have green eyes...

I wear sunglasses outside always...and wear tinted lenses in bright indoor situations. Can't STAND Wal-Mart...so disorienting.

And I do suffer from SID (sensory Integration Disorder).

La, la,la

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2008, 1:10 pm

I also can't stand Candles or lights that are in my eyes...it's almost painful...

Waiters in restaurants hate me...I keep putting them out, they keep relighting them...I keep putting them out....

And god knows I never want to sit wherever they try to sit me...

Gotta love me.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:13 pm

I also wasn't as effected when I was younger....but I looked at the ground a lot,so perhaps that helped(scanning for cool rocks and bugs :wink: and avoiding eye contact with people).

I have perscription sun glass now that "shade" when I go into light..it helps a bit but they still aren't quit dark enough..have to comprimise,as any darker and driving might be a problem. Bright lights can trigger migrains for me...I don't go out side as much as I use to..which sucks becaue I love nature and I avoid any kind of mall or large store lighting..instint headache but maybe also because of all the movement and sound?

My own house looks like a cave(I've had several negative comments over the years about this),but it suits me.I also work over nights and have all my windows covered.Do what works for you and don't worry about what is "normal".

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:37 pm

I remember being sensitive to sunlight when I was in high school but I thought it was my contact lenses. It wasn't much of a problem before. My mom's house has this wonderful dark pine heartwood paneling in the livingroom and giant oak trees that shade the windows so the house is always cool and dark. When my husband was alive, he actually prefered the house darker than I did. At home, I keep the walls painted fairly dark and the lighting indirect as much as possible. At work my new office space is in an area with a lot of flourescent lights, but they're so high up its almost like indirect lighting. Recently, though, I've started having to keep sunglasses handy even on overcast days. Most of my professors keep the classrooms dim for the sake of the projectors - death by PowerPoint - but one kept the lights on yesterday while we were filling in a review sheet for the next exam and I thought I'd never get through the class. I had to keep my hand shielding my eyes all through it.

Oh, gods, I'm rambling again. Sorry.

Patricia

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:56 pm

There have been posts about this in the past too, and it seems like a lot of people with AS are.

I barely made it home one day when I forgot my sun glasses. Both of my eyes teared over and it hurt so much from the light I could barely see-having to force one of my eyes open enough to drive.

Basically it physically hurts if it's bright enough, especially my eyes.

I like warm, overcast days :)

Maybe we're vampires? :D

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2008, 3:02 pm

My eyes have always been very sensitive to any extreme light, but I don't believe I've ever been sunburned.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 3:04 pm

Here comes the sun(NO!) topic

Cool shade is best. I always wore a hat, all seasons, and stayed out of the sun, unless it was to get my vitamin D fix. :flower:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2008, 3:10 pm

Add insult to injury, I'm a redhead, the next best thing to being albino... I couldn't tell you whether my light sensitivities have anything to do with Aspieness, if they do, they're compounded by a lack of pigmentation.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

The sun and i do not get along so well. I wear sunglasses constantly, even inside from time to time. :?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

I can't walk outside without having to shield my eyes from the sun. And then there is the fact that sunlight on hot days makes my skin itch.

knowmadic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2008, 3:26 pm

"Why are you winking at me!?"

You ever hear that one? I get it all the time cause i sometimes close one eye to keep the light out if squinting both doesn't do the trick.

"Are you crying?"

As soon as i step out into the sunlight i notice my eyes start to water. Sometimes i can do discreet rapid-blinks to wipe away the tears before anyone notices, but sunglasses are my ultimate saviour.

03 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

I have this problem too. My eyes squint. I cannot not face the sun as I am playing catch because the sun blinds me. I had this problem in high school and it seemed like the other girls were doing better than me. They were able to shield their eyes with their mitt and still catch the ball and for me it was a lot harder. But I haven't played softball since I was 19. I didn't have the sun problem then because there was always cloud in the sky and I wasn't forced to face the sunlight when it be sunny out.

I don't wear hats or sunglasses.

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2008, 5:58 pm

when i walk outside on a sunny day, i often say something along the lines of "the sun!! it buuuurrrrnnnnnsssss" and cover my eyes with my hands.

i actually have a dilemma... because on one side of things, sunlight hurts my eyes... like majorly. on the other hand, i absolutely despise yellow indoor lights.. they mess with color and i just can't see with them.. so i want sunlight, because it's pure and i can see clearly with it... ideally, i would have direct sunlight shining through the window, filtered by a curtain to make it not so painfully bright. i do enjoy laying out in the warmth of the sun, with my eyes covered by something thick enough to block out the sun, though... cept i burn easily, so i can't do that much, either.. :(