Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tokai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2008, 1:29 pm

A common question during job interviews are what you do during your spare time, and the way I percieve it this is where you score plenty of brownie points by listing as many social-related activities as you can. If you don't, you will somehow be viewed as an undesirable individual. This is related to a problem with how normal/neurotypical people percieve aspies and the likes. They make the logical conclusion that you do not participate in social events much because you are an as*hole and people hate you, not because you just aren't interested.

How many here have faced this issue and somehow slithered away from it, or do you just flat out lie?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

Lieing only works for me if it has enough trueth in it for me to believe.In this example I could say...

I like to hang out with my friends or (family...not for me but some here do)and socialize with them.I just don't mention that I only do this over the inter-net and that the only "friends" I have are virtual...hell,they are real to me.

It seems you know what they are looking for but this differes from job to job.If you are applying for a job dealing with people in person(not something I would ever seek,but hey,we are all differen,then face to face activities are important...but if your job is sitting behind a computer...activities that require concentration and focus are more important.
I also think that an employer likes if people like to learn,read or do some form of physcal activity...but this may be my bias,as I think it reflects a more balanced life(I'm not a human resources person,so you may find better answers goggleing that?)

You don;t have to lie most of the time,just use creative wording to imply what you think they are looking for but if you have to create to much of a false impression,then it might be a bad fit as a job. I think it's a balancing act?

Stress your positives. I work with so many lazy,undependable people that I always lead with my strengths in this area...I know I am a hard worker and don't call into wrk because I ant to go to a party that night or am to hung-over to work. I think half our battle in convincing our-selves that we are good workers...if you believe it, it is easier to convince them.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

AnnieDog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2008, 2:49 pm

I hate that infernal question. It can lead you into proffering information that they aren't legally allowed to ask (in the US at least) like family status.

I was taught to slightly mis-answer the question. I don't need to say what I do during most of my non-working hours (sleep) but that I just need to name a neutral hobby. I will admit to enjoying swimming (true). I leave out that I swim a couple times a week as part of training for a triathlon. I avoid, whenever possible, mentioning my research hobby in infectious diseases - apparently that's scary.

Tokai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2008, 3:05 pm

Quote:
It seems you know what they are looking for but this differes from job to job.If you are applying for a job dealing with people in person(not something I would ever seek,but hey,we are all differen,then face to face activities are important...but if your job is sitting behind a computer...activities that require concentration and focus are more important.

I didn't think about that. I don't really have any social anxiety, but I still lack that drive for social gratification which everyone expects from me. I don't mind working with people, in fact I think I prefer it. In work environments people tend to exhibit a more "official" personality and appearance, which I'm much more comfortable dealing with.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2008, 4:26 pm

I don't lie. I just don't tell all the truth. I mention my "accepted" hobbies but not my weird ones. This has worked for me very well.

of an infinite world.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

Tokai wrote:
Quote:

I didn't think about that. I don't really have any social anxiety, but I still lack that drive for social gratification which everyone expects from me. I don't mind working with people, in fact I think I prefer it. In work environments people tend to exhibit a more "official" personality and appearance, which I'm much more comfortable dealing with.

Well,even if you don't have social anxiety...not being a social butterfly can get some people in trouble in there jobs because of office politics...ie...other staff that resent you for working hard instead of wanting to small talk with them...(makes the look bad to the boss and they some how assume that means you are a butt kisser)People are incrediably illogical and if they resent you they can make your life hell.It all depends on the environment you work in. Most of mine have had very social people but I avoid some of the crap by working over nights by myself or one other person(who is usually as weird as me).

I don't dislike people(in general) but my employment is important to me,so I try and avoid socializing because it always leads to some misunderstandings revolving around my inability to read non-verbal communication or respond non-verbally in a manor that they understand...lots of misunderstandings that add up over the years.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/