African-American Aspies and White Aspies

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 9:35 am

If you are black and an Aspie do you find it harder to be accepted by African-American NTs than if you are white and an Aspie and seeking to be accepted by white NTs?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

04 Apr 2008, 9:39 am

I'm not sure how anyone can have both perspectives as a base for comparison. Might get some interesting replies though.

_Thinktank_
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2008, 2:26 pm

Its really depends on the people who are around are like

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 2:34 pm

There's an article in the last "Spectrum" magazine by an African American mother who has three Autistic kids, one of which I think is Aspergers or HFA. She is homeschooling her kids. She says that the African American community treats kids with disabilities very poorly because they don't take the time to understand it.

Also, I've read other articles about African American Autie kids whose parents don't reach out for services and the kids go years having their symptoms neglected.

Does this mean all AAs are that way? Of course not. And, I imagine the better educated the parents are and where they live dictates a lot.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 3:03 pm

I'm black and it really depends on what type of personatility that person has. If the person is cool and open-minded then it doesn't matter what race they are.

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

The biggest problem is that in African-American culture things like this are considered blasphemy sadly. It's really based around religion, and according to the Bible, "If you speak it it'll happen." In other words, there's nothing wrong with you, and it's not "of God", so it doesn't exist. Which is 100% BS. I bet there's a lot of whites out there like that, so maybe it's just the wealthy parents in general who are a bit more liberal who want their kids tested.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2008, 6:20 pm

Quote:
There's an article in the last "Spectrum" magazine by an African American mother who has three Autistic kids, one of which I think is Aspergers or HFA. She is homeschooling her kids. She says that the African American community treats kids with disabilities very poorly because they don't take the time to understand it.

thats true becuse im black and have autism and expierences it first hand.

blackaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2009, 5:11 pm

People view you differently if you are Asperger's ...Period. Yet, my experiences are different. I as a black aspie have had rude comments flung at me by various people because of me having aspergers. (people can pick up on the disability if unknowingly say or do something quirky or weird) Yet the make assumptions on me being ADHD or slow which I obviously am not. I personally dont think that many African Americans understand Aspergers and some black families that arent educated on the subject tend to deny it or send him/her to a non-special ed setting. I grew up in inner city Brooklyn and black kids around my way made fun of me ten times as hard and tried to pick fights with me because they either didnt understand it and were possibly dealing with their own family structure problems. If I spoke properly and talked about a non related hip hop/basketball, people said I was acting white so go figure yet I am in college so all that nonsense is in the gutter.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 5:35 pm

There are TOO MANY variables! I BET, though, that some AS blacks will be better accepted by some white NTs than they wuld be by some BLACK NTs though!

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 6:00 pm

I was going to try and post something funny but if you are a miniority (I hate that word) and autistic you have the double whammy effect of being outside the so-called mainstream. In some cases that might actually be a good thing but most likely is not for many people.
It's a hard row to hoe but when I was little I learned to cope by remembering in my own mind that the people who made fun of me were so f**king stupid that what they said didn't matter.

Duppy
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2009, 7:20 pm

I'm not sure if I have AS and I'm not even African American (I'm Black British) but my experience is that I usually come off as shy and quiet (and from my own perspective, awkward) when around most people. Some black people have believed that I'm 'white' in the sense of what music I listen to, who I hang out with, and especially how I speak, but I don't really care, but that's about as far as it goes (from what I know).

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2009, 7:22 pm

Brandon-J wrote:
I'm black and it really depends on what type of personatility that person has. If the person is cool and open-minded then it doesn't matter what race they are.

Thanks. I feel that same way.

Inner traits have nothing to do with skin color. Anyone can be mean over differences or understanding. Depends on what you are on the inside.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 7:51 pm

AAA topic

AS transcends race, nationality, religion, gender, language, and country of origin.

But since AAs and other minorities are often persecuted, displaying a cognitive/intellectual difference can infuriate many NTs of the same background.

I am a female Aspie, and I find many NT women are very insensitive (lots of topics of this sort on this site).

Apparently, Barack Obama is aware of autism and other challenges. It is hoped in his presidency the attitude towards challenged citizens will be more understanding at least in the US, though to what extent is not clear at this moment.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

garyww wrote:
I was going to try and post something funny but if you are a miniority (I hate that word) and autistic you have the double whammy effect of being outside the so-called mainstream. In some cases that might actually be a good thing but most likely is not for many people.
It's a hard row to hoe but when I was little I learned to cope by remembering in my own mind that the people who made fun of me were so f**king stupid that what they said didn't matter.

I guess there can't be that many REAL minorities. OBAMA decided to try to brake ANOTHER law! He should be impeached for even TRYING! He wants to have them APPROXIMATE the census and allow for illegals and homeless, and do that under HIS control. The constitution says it should be actual count, the illegals should NOT be counted, and it is too difficult to properly count the homeless. HECK, he SAYS he wants to create jobs and help people? Here's a simple way!! !! !! !

1. Create shelters for CITIZENS down on their luck!
2. KICK THE ILLEGALS OUT.
3. There will be more demand for citizens, so more will get work, and they can count the homeless at the shelters! ALSO, some jobs would be created by enforcing the laws, and running the shelters!

SIMPLE! But obama DOESN'T want that. He would rather let everyone come in, and throw money away.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2009, 9:48 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
There are TOO MANY variables! I BET, though, that some AS blacks will be better accepted by some white NTs than they wuld be by some BLACK NTs though!

This isn't far from the truth. I am bi-racial("caucasion," and "black," specifically), and this holds water in my case. The problems are only compounded with AS, and I am typically viewed as acting "too white" since I don't jive with socially "accepted" stereotypes of what my "culture" should be. It's beyond ridiculous, really. It is just another form of ignorance and stupidity at it's finest. Divide and conquer happens to work very well for our species. Fortunately, I have a very aggressive physical stature, and was feared by many in my school days, so I did not experience "bullying" while growing up(but not completely devoid of it). These two traits combined were, and are, definitely a challenge, albeit superfluous to challenge it head on. I just continue to be who I am, regardless of opinionated morons of any race. 8)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

velodog wrote:
I'm not sure how anyone can have both perspectives as a base for comparison. Might get some interesting replies though.

Yeah, I don't know about who can change from black to white(or vice-versa) except Michael Jackson. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.