Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How open are you about AS?
You tell everyone and are actively trying to spread awareness of Aspergers. 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
You are selective about who you tell, but generally try to be honest with everyone you associate with day to day. 26%  26%  [ 17 ]
You are selective about who you tell, and only very few people in your life know about your Aspergers. 43%  43%  [ 28 ]
Virtually no one knows about your Aspergers. 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 65

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:10 pm

I'm not diagnosed and will not mention it to anyone around me until and if I am, with the exception of some close family members. I definitely will not mention it at work regardless -- folks with any sort of official syndrome or illness seem to suddenly start getting bad performance reviews and require a sudden change in employment.

Patricia

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Apr 2008, 2:15 am

"You are selective about who you tell, but generally try to be honest with everyone you associate with day to day."

My family members know, and some of my online friends.

I don't really tell anyone else unless they specifically ask if I have it [which has not happened yet].

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2008, 2:18 am

If I make good friends with you and trust you, I will tell you. Also I tend to tell more internet friends than real life friends, I find it more comfortable and easier.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 3:05 am

I haven't told anyone. I think that by telling people, I'd just be trading the problems that come with not telling for the problems that come with telling. I'd rather stick with problems I'm used to dealing with.

Also, telling one person is like telling everyone, since people tend to talk about other people.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 5:17 am

I'm pretty open about it, though I don't always try to advertise it. Though at college I had to tell my friends, as they kind wondered why the college had a room with lots of computers, gaming consoles, bean-bag seats and a poker table in that they weren't normally allowed into. :lol:

Though that room is primarily an Aspie/Autistic only place (plus the support staff), NTs are welcome to come in if invited by an Aspie friend.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:24 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I haven't told anyone. I think that by telling people, I'd just be trading the problems that come with not telling for the problems that come with telling. I'd rather stick with problems I'm used to dealing with.

Oh yes, I suppose it is like that really.

Oh well, a change is as good as a rest so they say :D

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:21 am

If anyone asks me if I have AS, I always say yes, but otherwise I only tell my friends on a case by case basis. Most of my friends already knew because of the fact most people in my high school knew or otherwise they kinda figured it out (in 9th grade, I had a one-on-one aide).

But I don't mention it to people I know for a few days or people who I don't feel I need to tell (acquaintances, distant family members)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:26 am

I'm not formally diagnosed, but a lot of the traits are there. I have communicated about AS on my cat site as well as on WP, but I haven't told my family or people at work what I suspect. I have checked out a number of books, both fiction and non-fiction, about autism/Asperger's from the library and a co-worker recommended an article for me to read, which I found quite interesting.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 10:09 am

I tell everyone... I'm one of those people who alex mentioned in one of the videos who walks up to others and says "Hi, I'm autistic."

I get odd responses, but I don't really care. I guess I just like to get it out of the way early... if I do anything that seems odd to another, they know it's because I'm different... and if they have any questions, or are curious, then they know so they can ask any questions they want.

I'm big on the idea of spreading awareness.

I'm my own guinea pig.

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2008, 10:55 am

I wonder if anyone else takes my path to "disclosure". I don't bother, for the most part with telling people my diagnosis. I have only told a couple of close friends and some of my healthcare poviders (physicians, therapists).

What I do instead is be very open about my behavior and preferences. I will tell people that I have a hard time using names so please don't take offense. I will tell people that I really, really enjoy being barefoot whenever possible (some neighbors seem a little uncomfortable with this but most don't bat an eyelash). I let co-workers know that I have absolutely no problem with them repeating things to me as long as it's not condescending. On and on.

I follow this strategy because it deals with the current reality (some particular odd behavior) and doesn't confuse people with a word they don't understand or may misconstrue.

This might not work if my traits were more pronounced than they are or if I had to be more "social" and folks saw more of my "eccentricities".

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:42 am

i used to hate people knowing but now i'm not!! loads of people know i have it now and they ask me stuff about it and seem genually interested so i tell them and be honest.

There are still some people who don't know but my view is you have to be honest with people so they can understand better.

xx

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 3:17 pm

I don't tell most people about my condition. I'm sure that most people who actually know what AS is know that I have it, though...

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2008, 3:29 pm

SDFarsight - Your college sounds freakin' awesome. 8O

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2008, 4:32 pm

I'd tell people if they asked, or made a big fuss about "what the hell is wrong with you" when I commit some bizarre faux-pas, but I'd prefer to keep it to myself. I don't need people's derision and incomprehension. Or their pity.

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2008, 8:51 pm

I'm usually very open about it...unless it's a potential employer! LOL, I don't think my AS means a hill of beans to most people I know because I act so "normal" and don't fit the autism sterotype.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:15 pm

knowmadic wrote:
Really, I'm just looking for advice on how and when I should be telling people about AS. Any suggestions?

I've only told close family members about my own dx. Because they live 3,000 miles away from me, they haven't seen the physical paperwork on it, so they argue with me about it from time to time, especially in regard to my son, who also has AS. My mother is still confusing AS with profound autism, and she told me recently that I'm full of crap because if I or my son has AS, then we would be institutionalized. I've since sent her reams of material on the syndrome, which she is still digesting quietly. I believe she has it as well, but there's no way I'm going to broach that subject with her. I'm just a lowly graphic designer and she's got a PhD in medical anthro and a masters in Sociology along with an IQ of 146, so I'm practically defenseless when arguing with her. I regret ever bringing it up because now it's caused a family 'scandal' as to who is genetically 'to blame' for all of this. EDIT: She is also in her 70s, semi-retired and hasn't been in the loop about the latest on ASD diagnoses for over a decade.

I haven't told anyone at work or outside my family because, A., it's none of their business, and B., if they somehow found out, they'd more than likely use it against me. I work in a cutthroat business where people use whatever they can to shove others aside in order to compete for projects, recognition, etc. It wouldn't help me at all if they knew.