Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 4:48 pm

To the left of your posts, under your usename and avatar there is lots of usefull information, but there is one piece I find to be missing: The gender of the poster.

It is all very well knowing when a member joined WP (So you know how much slack to cut someone), their age (So you know what topics you should stay clear off, number of posts (Not really of great importance to me, but it is good to have) and location (Even though lots of people only seem to use it as a joke).

But neither of the above is as important as the gender of the poster, that after all decides if you should be writing he, she, his, hers and so on. And yet to figure out what gender someone is you have to click their profile. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I will only check if I am really in doubt, and most often I'm not.
I am completely sure if someone is male or female... I'm just not always right.

The members gender is already listed in their profile, so it isn't like its a secret, why not make things easier for everyone and just add it under the username like everything else?

Hope you take it into consideration.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

04 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

As an addendum, the user should be able to choose whether or not they want to display it. I can imagine some users would want to hide their gender, as well as their age.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Noelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

Yes, that's what I want. :roll: ASL requests out of the way, now we can get down to the stereotyping and prejudice that comes with these gender labels. I just have a doomsday future view of what can go wrong with gender on display. And aren't these messages viewable by the public? Yes, I want the whole world to know if mine is an innie or an outie. :roll: No thanks. Let the individuals say so when they want. Why would it matter in the first place, aside from grammar? Just call everybody a "he" -- I have no problem with that.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:02 am

That's funny - I had the opposite idea (but never thought it was worth mentioning). I've always wanted to be able to hide my gender in my profile or have some other option besides selecting M or F.

I can see why some people would want to display their gender prominently (I guess), but not all of us want to be identified by our gender, and some of us don't even fit into one of the two traditional categories.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:09 am

It would be nice to see which gender, I would want to say something sexist to one of the ladies, if I thought I was talking to a guy.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

05 Apr 2008, 1:58 am

Noelle wrote:
Yes, that's what I want. :roll: ASL requests out of the way, now we can get down to the stereotyping and prejudice that comes with these gender labels. I just have a doomsday future view of what can go wrong with gender on display. And aren't these messages viewable by the public? Yes, I want the whole world to know if mine is an innie or an outie. :roll: No thanks. Let the individuals say so when they want. Why would it matter in the first place, aside from grammar? Just call everybody a "he" -- I have no problem with that.

Seem to have ignored my post, although I'm not surprised. All my posts seem to be ignored.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 5:35 am

Noelle wrote:
Why would it matter in the first place, aside from grammar? Just call everybody a "he" -- I have no problem with that.

To me it is solely a grammatical concern, and far from everyone have "no problem" with being mistaken for a member of the opposite gender. My sugestion was merely intended to save me, and any others with the same concern, from having to stop writing in the middle of a reply, because it suddenly hit you, that you have no idea what gender the person you are talking to is.

Quote:
As an addendum, the user should be able to choose whether or not they want to display it. I can imagine some users would want to hide their gender, as well as their age.

Yes I forgot to mention that. Obviously if people want to hide personal information they should have that option - but they better be prepared to deal with me calling them s/he if they do.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 1:03 pm

Gender would be good to display. I posted a funny sexy innuendo in reply to someone else's sexy innuendo based on their feminine looking avatar but they turned out to be male. :oops:

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

you've been in France too long