Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 8:06 pm

Well, I was walking down the hallway on the way to a meeting and I saw an Autism Awareness poster for an upcoming event so after the meeting I went in to see the person whose office it was and I asked her about it. It turns out that not only does she know someone with autism, she is on the diversity committee and there may be a possibility of a neurodiversity workshop in the future for management! So I told her I had Asperger's and she did not seem in the least bit freaked out. I think she may have even expected it. We talked about whether I should "come out" to my supervisor. She is gay so she knows all about this coming out business, something I have wanted to ask her for a while. She said she understood exactly what it is like to live with something you didn't choose and the knowledge that you are different, and that it is not easy.

Anyway, I told her that if she had any questions at all about ASD I'd be glad to help her out. I can't see myself standing up in front of the whole company--at least not yet--but I can provide information and insights behind the scenes. I also told her about this site and said it was a great place to see just how diverse we really are. I am really excited about what may be happening, I never thought it would be possible.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 8:12 pm

What a wonderful opportunity for you! Let the world know about the the wonderful people who are aspergers, I say, and how you enrich the world.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 8:36 pm

That's fantastic. Just make sure you take things at your own pace, but what an amazing opportunity to educate and promote awareness in your workplace.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 3:37 am

That sounds cool, and if all the others understand it'll be very easy to be yourself.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:38 pm

Congrats on finding an ally at work! It sounds quite auspicious.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:56 pm

Good on you, and good work on finding an understanding colleague.

I feel a bit paranoid about letting people at work know, but I recently found out that there are a few people at work with kids on the spectrum; and just looking around, I'm probably not "Robinson Crusoe" anyway.