Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Victor13d
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm

Hi im a very inquisitive person and enjoy asking questions yet at times I rely on this too much and it makes my friends uncomfortable. What should I do to A: relax people B:cary on a mutual conversation?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:14 pm

slow down for the answers?...;)
just an idea...yeah...I did that a bit, it came of like I was grilling someone...

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

relax, just listen to what they have to say, and ask questions when only to get the conversation going.

also, most people like questions formulated in a way that asks them what they think or feel about something, rather then about facts.

Just remember, you're not interogating someone, you are giving someone an ear, and afterwards they'll lend you yours.

the_incident
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

Most good conversations require a give and take. If you ask somebody a question and they reply, then it's usually a good idea to let them know you heard and understood them. Then you can make a statement that relates to what they just said, rather than just asking another question.

For example:

You: "How was your trip to Hawaii?"

Them: "It was great. The weather was awesome and we went surfing every day."

You: "Wow, I've never been surfing before but that sounds like fun."

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 6:10 am

I have the same problem. I rely on questions a lot in conversations, especially if I'm worried I won't be able to keep the conversation going. But I don't want to come across as nosy.