Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2008, 11:24 pm

I didn't when I was his age at all! When I was a kid I refused to have my hair cut ever (and that was honored by my parents for years in exchange for my agreeing to move house), and before that I used to cry. I didn't like my hair brushed either but that led to having matted hair so it was done eventually. I had a special brush that didn't hurt as much, and my mother did it and not a professional. Now it's okay but I don't get it cut much because I don't like to talk to haircutters, and mostly people won't do that for me.

Some people just have sensitive scalps, and it's worse to have other people looming over you with a scissor or pulling your hair and the only thing you can do is sit there watching or feeling. Also haircutters are brutal, they still make me cry sometimes.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:26 pm

Sensory issues aside, it's also awkward because usually you have to make conversation with your hairdresser. But I cut my own hair as well.

diggy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2008, 11:30 pm

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
Who here doesn't like their hair being cut?

I had to cut Damien hair earlier and while I was doing so I realised how different it is to me getting my hair cut.
He had to have books, TV on, something to eat and after a while he wanted to be wrapped up tight in the towel. He also said 'ow' and 'stop my hair hurts'. I had to stop and give him breaks and warn him before I sprayed his hair with water. I have to use sissors because he HATE clippers and is scared of them.

When I have mine cut I go in, sit down and relax till it's done. I can't even get him inside a hair salon let alone let them cut his hair.
NT's have it soooooooo easy! It is not fair!

This is in general not parent because I am asking a general autistic question :)

It might also be partly due to his age. I remeber having an NT friend back in kindergarten who always yell and say "ow, my hair hurts!" when getting his haircut.

I hate getting my hair cut cause I don't want to bother with the small talk, I should be relaxing not worrying about what to say.

FleaCircus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

I hate NOT having my hair cut.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:48 pm

I just keep all my hair shaved off. I'm just about completely bald now and growing out what little hair I have just looks really tacky. So I shave it all off. I can't stand long hair now.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2008, 11:52 pm

My son hated getting hair cuts when he was little, just hated it, which always puzzled us before his diagnosis at age seven. He's still not that crazy about it as a teenager, but he's much better than he was. My husband doesn't mind it, though.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

06 Apr 2008, 2:47 am

Why do lot of you hate haircuts?

I used to hate them when I was real little. Now I don't mind them. Only thing is, it tickles because of my cut out hair, so I prefer if it's wet. When I lived in Montana, my mother would cut my hair and she always put a towel around my shoulders. That also helped.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2008, 3:33 am

I don't hate haircuts, but I always avoided them. These days I just use hair trimmers and cut it down to about 1/3 of an inch every once or twice a year. Matter of fact, I just started having to comb it again last week.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:53 am

THe biggest problems I have are having to make smalltalk with the stylist and um....usually when I do get my hair cut, it ends up being a big horrible mistake. :(
I am still suffering through another horrible drastic hair decision where in a state of depression, I went from really long hair to a bob...and it was so depressing...now it is this messy grown-out medium length thing, and i can't put it in braids yet because it was layered short in the back. I sometimes cut my own hair, particularly my bangs, but I have sorta let them go for a while. Maybe i am growing them out.

The trouble with haircutters is they are difficult to communicate with and don't generally seem to care about whether or not their client is making the best decision.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:59 am

I don't mind it-my hair is very thick so when it's long it becomes very heavy. My other problem is I'm always going from hot to cold-I'm NEVER comfy, which means long heavy hair makes for my hair feeling sweaty/dirty... hard to describe.

But my method for getting my hair cut is going in and picking a random picture or 2 out of a magazine with my eyes closed and saying "Can you do that?" lol. I've wound up with a shaved head before... but any haircut is tolerable compared to the discomfort of my hair getting long.

I'm my own guinea pig.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 4:11 am

too lazy to get it cut but also dislike the slicing sound the scissors make. :(

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2008, 4:17 am

Having my hair cut is not one of my favourite activities, but it's one I can tolerate because I really dislike my hair getting too long. My mother always has to accompany me so she can talk to the hairdresser and I don't have to worry about it.

Thor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2008, 5:12 am

I don't like having to do small talk with the hairdresser so I procrastinate going. Another issue is that she often says that I can not keep my head still. And I can't stand having products in my hair, only water. Besides that, I have no problem with haircuts and I hate feeling my long hair in my neck and behind my ears.

of an infinite world.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:27 am

I like getting my hair cut. its fun. :)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

06 Apr 2008, 5:28 am

I don't like nor dislike haircuts. I just hate trying to describe to the hairdresser what I want, because I can never seem to explain it properly and the hairdresser says..."huh?". Also, hairdressers always insist that they want to know what i've done in the weekend, or if i'm on holiday, or what i'm studying, or even if i have any siblings!

My mother cuts my hair for me now, so thats not a problem anymore.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:40 am

It didn't bother me when younger (any age).

I've cut my hair since the start of high school; my mother cut it most of the times before then.