Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:40 pm

What happens to a child diagnosed with OCD? Would I need to receive a formal diagnosis?

I'm very concerned about him. He seems so preoccupied with intrusive thoughts. He can't wait to return to school so he can speak with psychologist--he says he makes him feel better.

Is this common with kids on the spectrum?

It's so odd to me. I've always been able to redirect my thoughts despite my own neurotic tendancies. Will he learn with time? I wonder if this special ed and diagnosis stuff has made him more needy? What if he never received additional help? Maybe he would have been able to compensate better.

equinn

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 1:36 pm

i wish i had answers for you. i don't....i think it's best that if you're worried about this possible dx, that you talk to his doc about it.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:24 pm

Hi
Im really feeling for you, its very frustrating not being able to help your child. I know with J he can get some very gruesome thoughts stuck in his head and it doesnt matter what I say or do (sometimes I accidently make it worse) these thoughts just dont go away.
I also know by my own experience that once you get something stuck in your head the more you worry about it or think about it the harder it sticks and the more it takes over.
I think its great that your son wants to talk about it with someone, J doesnt always want to do this.
If its any concellation I don't think getting the dx has made it any worse. J is 9 and was only dx'd late last year, the thoughts/ideas that he gets have been happening for years, long before we knew why.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:40 pm

Thanks.

It helps to know there are others out there that deal with this type of thing. He was out in the fresh air today and is now seeming okay--lively and hasn't mentioned horrid thoughts. I almost wish I didn't hear it all. But, I told him he could tell me anything and so he does. He said it makes him feel better. I had a couple bad dreams myself ast night and I'm sure it's due to the heavy saturation of negativity flooding my head. ONe part of me thinks he was a bit stuck on getting reassurance and this just fueled the fires. HOrrid thoughts are dismissed when we know they are forbidden or unhealthy. But, if he's talking about them all the time it sort of takes the punch out of em. His thoughts enter the physical world and gain power. Maybe not. Many thoughts I've had are never released.

I guess, as proposed, the diagnosis wasn't a contributing factor--most likely not.

The school is helpful and I'll be seeking an outside helper too. Thanks again for your responses.

equinn

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

Hi there, OCD is distressing enough but is perhaps only a small fragment of the bigger picture. Many of us on the spectrum are not pure anything but a combination of different colours of the rainbow making each of us unique! So I am sure that OCD is not the only colour!

The easiest way and cheekiest way of getting an assessement these days is to make a Parental Representation for Statement of Special Educational needs. Make the representation accurate enough and you should then be informed that an Educational Psychologist will make an assessement. Ask for the Shoop Test, Go no Go, Tower of Hanoi and Weschler. These tests will give a very good indication of any other Autistic traits.

Have you checked out Prof Simon Baron Cohens AQ TEST? Just google it and you will be able to do it on line. I am not sure if we can post links on here I am only a newbie!

Hope that helps. Don't give up, give yourself a pat on the back for being a great parent! x :wink: