Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheNathan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2008, 9:26 pm

Now, I'm not officially diagnosed or anything, but I am noting some striking similarities between how I act and feel in general and the classic DSM IV-TR diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome as well as many of the personal accounts of the good members of the forum. However, there are some issues that I have always had to deal with, many of which I am curious as to the frequency/intensity of regarding the members here.

First of which is excessive light, bright colors, and glare, all of which seem to trigger very severe migraines. Extended exposure (though not excessive) glare of any sort from sunlight seems to be particularly bad, as I have a very hard time adjusting to it, and it causes my eyes to lose focus (almost like a tunnel vision) for several hours, perhaps only 30-40 minutes if I wrap my head in a blanket and lie down somewhere.

I also have poor balance and general body coordination (Though my hand/eye is excellent due to years of video games), as well as (usually) my left arm suddenly jerking beyond my control on occassion, usually when I'm under a lot of stress. Happened yesterday, as I recall, causing my hand to jerk up in the air and hit a ceiling fan. Ah yes, I'm also very clumsy and almost trip on myself several times a day. Additionally, I have never been able to ride a bike, or use roller nor ice skates.

So, any similarities with anyone else here?

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2008, 9:38 pm

LOL.
The "Tunnel Vision" thing screwed my eyes up. I have something called computer vision syndrome from the glare of an LCD monitor. Remember, kiddies no more than 15 hours a day on the computer or your eyes will certainly lose their focus. (18-20 Hour days of games)

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 10:09 pm

I'm kind of clumsy. I stumble a little bit. I've learned that it looks funny, so I control it. If I didn't people would probably mistake me for being drunk a lot of the time. I don't think that I'm bad at learning movements, however. I can shoot a basketball even though I'm not very good. I lift weights, and I know how to squat, bench press, deadlift, etc. I'm not sure, however, if I would ever be able to learn to hit a baseball.

I didn't think that I had sensory issues until I really observed what I experience. I always get tired when I'm out somewhere where there are people around. I used to think that it was either genuine tiredness or laziness, but now I've observed that it happens even if I'm already feeling great. Anytime I go to Wal-Mart or the mall, I get tired after a few minutes of walking around. The bright artificial lighting, the movement, the noise, interacting with people--I get overwhelmed and my brain shuts down. I recover once I've sat somewhere without much stimulation for a few minutes, but it happens again if I go back out. I have desensitized myself to most noise with the music that I listen to. I still can't stand vacuum cleaners, however.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm

RainKing wrote:
I have desensitized myself to most noise with the music that I listen to. I still can't stand vacuum cleaners, however.

Ah! You too! I hate vacuum cleaners. It isn't just the fact that they are loud but also something to do with the pitch that hurts.

I'm also never happy with the brightness and contrast settings on my monitor. The default white background is too bright so I tend to change it for a pale cream colour. It's funny now when I think about it - there are so many little things visually or auditory that cause me discomfort that I'd never realised may be aspects of Aspergers until I discovered both Aspergers and this site last week.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm

GAH!! ! Things that beep, sink disposals, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers and barking dogs make me nuts!

kayaker
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2008, 6:06 am

I use to stumble and had really bad co-ordination and balance was appawling! I was issued some tinted glasses that cost a foutune but now I have no problem!! :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:25 am

OMG,
I'm not the only one. 8O

Yes, I've read about it in some books regarding aspergers because I have the same problems. They often go hand in hand since it's a neurological hickup.

I hate walmart and offices because of those purposes. Before I got diagnosed I complained about it constantly. "Can't we dim some of the lights here, it's a little bright to see anything!"

At my job it's been hell, I used to have tremors a mild case of seizures. After I got on meds, that calmed them down but I still feel off kilter at times. I don't know what it is with this coordination, it's weird and I've never been able to describe it with some of the employees or my doctor. In school it was worse, I'd fall over a couple of times and ppl would ask if I was OK. I never knew how to answere that since it didn't feel OK.

So you're not alone on that one. It's been the biggest brick in my life besides small talk. Although I think I'm getting a little better at it. More so than few years back.