Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Should the names of the days and months be generic and not related to any religion?
Yes 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
No 86%  86%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 21

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2008, 6:58 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'm not here to argue for the Biblical based names I suggested on Facebook, but against the pagan names.

Sunday= sun worship
Monday= moon worship
Tuesday= Tyr or Mars
Wednesday= Woden or Odin
Thursday= Thor
Friday= Venus
Saturday= Saturn
January= Janus
February= related to Roman ceremony of purification in their rituals.
March= Mars
April= Aphrodite
May= Maia
June= Juno?
July= after Julius Cesar
August= after Octavius Cesar, the nephew of Julius who succeeded him.
September= 7
October= 8
November= 9
December= 10

So, basically I propose generic replacement names for them here.

From a facebook group's wall wrote:
It does stink that the days and months are named after false gods and whatnot. I would propose that they be given names either generic or Biblical, like

Sunday: Uniday or Lightday
Monday: Duoday or Expanseday
Tuesday: Triday or Landday
Wednesday: Quadriday or Luminariday
Thursday: Quinqueday or Fish/Bird-day
Friday: Hexaday or Behemah/Adam-day
Saturday: Septaday or Shabbat/Sabbath

And the months could be like Unimber, Duoember, Triember, Quadember, Quinember, Sextember, September, October, November, December, Undember, Duodecember, or whatever would make more sense.

I think it would be best to not even have to have to say the names of pagan deities, as in "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth." (Exodus 23:13 KJV)

To a degree it would be impossible to do this, replacing names so as not to mention false gods, but I think it would be ideal even if it never happens.

Discuss.

I think everyone here’s missing a big glaring fact of this new naming system, namely that its quite the poetic masterpiece!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:51 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

From a facebook group's wall wrote:
It does stink that the days and months are named after false gods and whatnot.
I think it would be best to not even have to have to say the names of pagan deities, as in "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth." (Exodus 23:13 KJV)

To a degree it would be impossible to do this, replacing names so as not to mention false gods, but I think it would be ideal even if it never happens.
The pagan gods are not false gods. The Judeo Christian writings are full of references to other gods.
I think the pagan gods are more real because they were mentally stable.The god of the old testament has different personalities, one is demanding and destructive, and the other makes deals with mortals to gain a following.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2008, 10:27 am

No matter what naming system is used, someone will always come up with an objection to it.

Anyway, according to the Mayans, the world is going to end in 2012, so why bother to change things now?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:32 am

I kind of like the history of it all.

Lots of things appear to be becoming uniform now and I have a future vision of everthing becoming dull if we carry on in this way.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:03 am

Mudboy wrote:
I think the pagan gods are more real because they were mentally stable.The god of the old testament has different personalities, one is demanding and destructive, and the other makes deals with mortals to gain a following.

Mentally stable? Surely you're not referring to the ancient Greek gods, right?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 12:53 pm

If you want to get rid of religious influence on the month names, you should remember that in the Roman calendar, March was originally the first day of the month (thus December as the tenth).

January -> Undecimber
February -> Duodecimber
March -> Uni?
April -> Duo?
May -> Tres?
June -> Quattrilus?
July -> Quintilis
August -> Sextilis
September
October
November
December

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:25 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Mudboy wrote:

The Greek gods are jealous and petty, but each of them have very strong, stable personalities. The ancient gods enjoy outsmarting each other and testing the will of humans. If you are a plaything of theirs, you can depend on them to make your life more interesting. If the gods end up breaking you, they don't care, because they have billions of other human toys to play with.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:07 pm

How about the fact that its still a completely pointless (if entertaining) exercise? There is no reason to change the system we have. It works, everyone gets it, and nobody really cares who or what the days are named for. Start changing those and you start having to tweak everything. Planets next? Constellations? How about the fact that the english language relies heavily on greek and latin? Can't be having those nasty pagan languages in there. Best change them...

Besides, if you change all the names to christian ones, you alienate and annoy all the non christians, causing yet more hassle no-one really needs.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:24 pm

Mudboy wrote:
People keep trying to eliminate religion from existing in or around the government. If they succeed, the official religion will be atheism by default.

Secular does not = Atheist.

And calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:10 pm

Mudboy wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Mudboy wrote:

The Greek gods are jealous and petty, but each of them have very strong, stable personalities. The ancient gods enjoy outsmarting each other and testing the will of humans. If you are a plaything of theirs, you can depend on them to make your life more interesting. If the gods end up breaking you, they don't care, because they have billions of other human toys to play with.

That would depend on your definition of "stable" then. I would have to do some research to remember their intrigues between themselves and humans, but I can remember enough to say that there were anything but stable, at least in my opinion.

(I just thought I'd mention to some - you know who you are - that I'm not referring to you when I say "god" :wink: I'm talking about the actual greek gods, in ancient greek mythology. Just so there are no further misunderstandings.)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:36 pm

Odin wrote:
Mudboy wrote:
People keep trying to eliminate religion from existing in or around the government. If they succeed, the official religion will be atheism by default.

Secular does not = Atheist.

And calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

You can tell a bald persons hair color by looking at their eyebrows.

I understand the semantics of your argument, and could spend a long time going through the logic. I will cut out the middle and jump to the end. Atheism is indeed a religion according to professional opinion:
"Atheism is [the person's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 8:48 am

There have been proposals to make the way we measure time more metric. For example, instead of dividing the day into two units of 12, and then subdividing the hours into units of 60, and then the minutes into units of 60, we would simply divide and the subdivide the day into units of 10.

Then, proceding in the other direction, we would go with a 10-day week instead of 7, etc. Then, we wouldn't get a new "month" until ten weeks had passed.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

pandabear wrote:
There have been proposals to make the way we measure time more metric. For example, instead of dividing the day into two units of 12, and then subdividing the hours into units of 60, and then the minutes into units of 60, we would simply divide and the subdivide the day into units of 10.

Then, proceding in the other direction, we would go with a 10-day week instead of 7, etc. Then, we wouldn't get a new "month" until ten weeks had passed.

The second is already metric enough. Other units of time should be prefixes thereof (e.g., the kilosecond or the gigasecond).

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:15 am

Quote:
Good point, but I still disagree. If there is to be separation of Church and State it should apply to all areas involving the general public.

I'm all for the separation of Church and State, but that ideal, like any ideal, can be taken too far. Renaming the days of the week is just patently absurd, no matter the reason. You're like an anorexic pursuing a perfect body with this PC stuff. Trying to be perfectly politically correct, or PPC, is just very very effed up and ret*d for reasons obvious to anyone who is not a scrawny math-loving pimple-faced Aspie geek. :x :x :x