Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should the names of the days and months be generic and not related to any religion?
Yes 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
No 86%  86%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 21

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:02 am

How about renaming the planets? ;)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:06 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'm not here to argue for the Biblical based names I suggested on Facebook, but against the pagan names.

Sunday= sun worship
Monday= moon worship
Tuesday= Tyr or Mars
Wednesday= Woden or Odin
Thursday= Thor
Friday= Venus
Saturday= Saturn
January= Janus
February= related to Roman ceremony of purification in their rituals.
March= Mars
April= Aphrodite
May= Maia
June= Juno?
July= after Julius Cesar
August= after Octavius Cesar, the nephew of Julius who succeeded him.
September= 7
October= 8
November= 9
December= 10

So, basically I propose generic replacement names for them here.

From a facebook group's wall wrote:
It does stink that the days and months are named after false gods and whatnot. I would propose that they be given names either generic or Biblical, like

Sunday: Uniday or Lightday
Monday: Duoday or Expanseday
Tuesday: Triday or Landday
Wednesday: Quadriday or Luminariday
Thursday: Quinqueday or Fish/Bird-day
Friday: Hexaday or Behemah/Adam-day
Saturday: Septaday or Shabbat/Sabbath

And the months could be like Unimber, Duoember, Triember, Quadember, Quinember, Sextember, September, October, November, December, Undember, Duodecember, or whatever would make more sense.

I think it would be best to not even have to have to say the names of pagan deities, as in "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth." (Exodus 23:13 KJV)

To a degree it would be impossible to do this, replacing names so as not to mention false gods, but I think it would be ideal even if it never happens.

Discuss.

Part of Discusion: Curioisly, an argument SDA and some scholars (and the Davinci Code :P) have used in relation to the observation of the Sabbath being changed to Sunday in the early days, is having to do with the worship of the sun.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:10 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Take your "piss" elsewhere. I'm being serious, should they have any religious connotation?

This is similar to, "should the clock have 60sec, 60min, 24hr?" It would be better to be decimal in my opinion.

No, because the decimal counting system is inferior. We should adopt a base twelve system for all of our math and counting needs.

No, decimals are superior. Base 12 is for people who can't divide ten by three.

Binaries are superior.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:14 am

greenblue wrote:
Binaries are superior.

Not compact enough. I vote hexadecimal because it makes things more compact!

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

colors of the days
since the beginning

Sunday white
Monday ruby red
Tuesday orange
Wednesday purple grey
Thursday green
Friday rust red
Saturday burnt orange

they never change

monty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 7:22 am

The Quakers tried replacing the old names with more generic appellations ('First Day,' 'Second Day' etc). Was OK for them when much of Pennsylvania was Quaker, but it never really caught on.

Do you think America has been cursed for naming it's big, long missiles after virile Pagan Gods (Apollo, Saturn, Mercury, etc)??

A while back I downloaded a decimal clock that I run on my computer - very nice. Since then, I have only had to work 3.5 to 5 hours a day!!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:39 am

No. We'ren't cursed for it, 'tis just an ideal.

You still work a third to half of a day. :P

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:43 am

greenblue wrote:
Part of Discusion: Curioisly, an argument SDA and some scholars (and the Davinci Code :P) have used in relation to the observation of the Sabbath being changed to Sunday in the early days, is having to do with the worship of the sun.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the sun, but making the Sabbath an arbitrary day instead of following the traditional Jewish Shabbat has some problems.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:45 am

greenblue wrote:
How about renaming the planets? ;)

How about giving them names based on their physical properties?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:46 am

skafather84 wrote:
so....if you posit this....are you also for the re-dating of easter and christmas to accurately represent the time these things took place rather than the astrologically significant times that the HRE picked?

Easter would be Pasach and Christmas would be during Sukkot.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 08 Apr 2008, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:50 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I vote that we should not change the system because the change is only cosmetic and really serves no purpose at all since most people don't know about that tradition and the few that do still typically don't care. There are a good number of things with names referencing some old mythology, but I see no reason to revamp a language because of that.

Good point, but I still disagree. If there is to be separation of Church and State it should apply to all areas involving the general public.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:17 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
i'm rather apathetic about it. it's a religion that isn't around anymore other than in name and recognizing the myths as myths...and making some badass games out of them.

True, they're dead. So?

skafather84 wrote:
i'm much more concerned with my tax dollars going towards abstinence-only faith based programs.

Good for you!

no they're not dead
thousands in the US alone fallow the wicca/neo paganism thing
just because you don't like it don't mean it will go away
it never did

monty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:27 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
You still work a third to half of a day. :P

Yeah, but it's fewer hours. :D

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:50 am

Kilroy wrote:
no they're not dead
thousands in the US alone fallow the wicca/neo paganism thing
just because you don't like it don't mean it will go away
it never did
The names of the days and months should stay the same. I like having them named after the gods. Pagans tell stories about who the days and months are named after as a subtle form of evangelism. Xians need to leave things alone instead of trying to eradicate history. The same goes for Islam. (The literal translation of "Islam" is "Submit to This Religion or Die".)

Xians should never have tried to absorb another religion into thier own. Xians changed the Christ from being born in the summer, to being born in the winter. They also changed him from being reborn in autumn to being reborn in the spring. Now you have little kids confused about what easter eggs and pine trees have to do with the Christ. Not to mention telling people that Halloween is an evil day instead of the self improvement holiday it once was. The Xian, evil, Lucifer Angel looks like an angel, he does not look like Baccus or Pan with pointy ears and a tail.

I could go on and on about the slander and misconceptions that are part of the Xian Dogma.

BTW, there is no such thing as separation of church and state. There is only prohibition of elevating one religion over another (Athieism?) and prohibition of preventing people from exercising religous freedom. Read the constitution and ammendments yourself, instead of letting others decide your god given rights for you.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:47 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Good point, but I still disagree. If there is to be separation of Church and State it should apply to all areas involving the general public.

Separation of church and state does not apply to the English language though and the days of the week and the months of the year, are thus out of the jurisdiction. Not only that, but the hellenistic faith is not so much a church as part of the Western cultural background. Finally, the separation of church and state is ultimately an arbitrary distinction meant to protect the original ideology from being destroyed by later ideological developments and is not really a rigorous idea but simply a way for the founders to prevent fundies from screwing up the government and really nothing more than that.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm

Mudboy wrote:
there is no such thing as separation of church and state. There is only prohibition of elevating one religion over another (Athieism?) and prohibition of preventing people from exercising religous freedom. Read the constitution and ammendments yourself