Any aspies in drama club or senior plays?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RRguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 3:58 pm

Im a sophomore, and im in stage crew. I love to build the set during construction, but im too nervous to be apart of the cast for any play i have no desire to act anyways. any of you in drama club or thespians or any thing like that?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

I was in two school plays and on the "drama Team" in 9th and 10th grade. I did pretty well at "inturpritive reading(I could always hear the authors voice in my head when I read) but I was so nervious sppeaking in public that I dissociated every time....I would have no memory of the preformance and have to ask people how I did. It was weird but I did meet some other cool people in Drama...they seemed more open minded and nicer to me.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:41 pm

Yup. But I had way more in common with the kids on stage crew.

Other girls in theater tend to find me kind of puzzling and sweet, since I'm the only one obviously uncomfortable with attention.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:09 pm

I used to be a "techie" for the school and did light and sound work for the drama team. That's basically where I got my start in A/V because I loved it so much. I just think the buzz of the theater is awesome... You practice and practice, refining the show a little bit more each time. When the opening night comes, it feels totally different. Before the show, the auditorium is now filled with the dull roar of the audience, it's not silent. You are nervous...are you going to get all your cues right, you hope nothing malfunctions, is the crowd going to like it? You are in control, not the actors, without you, nobody sees anything, nobody hears anything. You reach up and dim the houselights and the audience goes silent...it's just amazing to have the power of that many people at the mere touch of a slider. You then push up the stage light sliders and turn on the PA system. At the push of a few buttons, you unleash several thousand watts of power that floods the room with light and sound!

...read the book "Look Me in the Eyes" John Robison speaks of when he was the lighting technician for KISS...he does a really good job conveying the buzz and excitement of being a techie for them!

It's too bad the technical side of theater doesn't get the "spotlight" as much as the actors do...we really make the show!

Odarp

09 Apr 2008, 9:51 pm

well i was in drama club two years ago, but in one play I was the only male actor, it was just me and a female classmate, and it was basicaly a monologue wich im pretty good at, I have a great memory, and all I did was stare into nothingness (my character always faced the crowd) and speak away, that way I had no stage fright
But when I had cues and dialogues I always choked (good thing my character was actually a speech impaired guy)
What I'm really passionate about is reading poetry and speeches, it helps me with my voice pitch problems, and I get to talk all I want without being interrupted, altough I lack facial expression because I always stare into nothingness

toboo

09 Apr 2008, 9:58 pm

in highschool i was both on stage crew as well as on stage. i loved it all. i continued it in college and now as part of a community theatre group.

acting is an aspie dream. you have a script. a director to tell you exactly how to do and say it. it's the same every night, no surprises. you know how the other actors are going to react to your character. it's swell. i love it.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:02 am

I'm a professional! :wink:

I think it's great for Aspies to be in a stage crew, or in pre-production. There are a lot of off-beat people you can meet, and you really feel like you're a part of something.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:25 am

I was in a couple plays and a few short films. I'm a stand up Comedian now.

10 Apr 2008, 3:12 am

I was in Drama when I was 17. The kids didn't even want me in that class, nor my teachers because they didn't think I do it. My parents had faith in me and one day I said to my teachers, "Then prove me wrong if I stay in that class." I said that to shut them up. If they wanted to prove they were right, then they will let me take the class and I would find out for myself they were right and I was wrong and I couldn't do it. But I proved them wrong and all the kids in my class.
They went from under estimating me to over estimating me.
The hardest part was working on the play because I sucked working with other people but the play was great. I did great in it and it wasn't hard. When you are on stage, it is hard to see the audience because of the lights on the stage. It blinds you when you look at the audience because you can hardly see them.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:59 pm

I was, during high school... I often did monologues or some of the key roles, as well as scriptwriting, and I loved every moment. I credit drama class with so much of my social confidence now, I'd so recommend it to any other aspie kid. My teacher didn't think I would make it through to the last few years of it, and she didn't like me, but in true aspie style that made me more determined to prove her wrong, so I did!!

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 2:44 pm

i took 2 years of drama class in high school... but i always had a little stage fright... and we would do improv exercises in class... i was never good at that, for obvious reasons.... but i loved to watch other people do it. :lol: but we had to do these monologues.. i swear, i sounded like i was reading it... even though it was memorized. lol. and i would always lose my place and have to recap the whole thing in my mind to figure out what i was suppose to be saying. so i'd be going on and on in a monotone voice.. and then stop abruptly, zone out for a minute, and then continue droning on.. :lol: i was in a couple actual plays, though... and i think i did pretty well. i got an A in both classes, anyways. but i decided not to do a 3rd year... because the teacher was requiring us to go watch plays outside of class, and those cost money and stuff... and i don't think that a public school should require stuff like that. also, it was getting stressful... and i didn't like my teacher, cause she was old, with bushy white hair, but dressed like a cheap hooker and wore far too much make-up. she even had a southern drawl, which in and of itself is just fine.. but for some reason, it made me think of stereotypical trailer trash. (i have nothing against people who live in trailers.. lol. i've lived in trailers, too.)

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2008, 2:44 pm

I did theatre through high school and a bit of professional acting after high school. I really enjoyed it because it let me be someone else. I was also VERY good at remembering my lines. :)

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 7:24 pm

I spent high school being part of plays, the local Improvisational team, and I'd play multiple small roles for plays.

It was fun stuff.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 7:35 pm

I loved drama from a young age, when I was little I would memorise the entire play even though I would only be villager one but apparently I mimed everyone elses lines as well.
I did drama right up to A-Level (age 17) but struggled a lot with improvisation and straight plays.
Musicals were my strongest but I can't dance to save my life so I couldn't go any further.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 9:45 pm

I was the head of makeup department freshman year, for two of the three plays. It was pretty fun, but unfortunately, the director of the first play quit and the director of the second... she was something else. I got sick of fighting with her (she kept trying to run all of the makeup stuff, doing the makeup herself (ha, they would wash it off and come to me to redo it), insisting that they wear makeup that wasn't needed, ignoring the fact that the one kid had an allergic reaction to it, buying the wrong freaking stuff, failing to inform us that we weren't needed for tech day ("I thought it was for actual crews", as if we weren't an actual one), ect). I ended up chewing her out in front of the entire cast and most of the backstage crew (she had put me off for days, said she would talk to me then, then proceeded to spend two hours in a meeting because one of the leads got herself arrested for underage drinking); that didn't make her too happy. So I quit. I never rejoined; the one who replaced her wasn't much better.

Three years!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm

I did a lot of theater in high school. It was amazing because everyone there was so accepting. It was the one thing I looked forward to while I was in school.

Also, acting helped me learn to fake being NT and to act more normally, and really test my social skills. I wouldn't back out. Auditions can be scary, but it is worthwhile. If it is a large musical cast you are likely to get cast at least in the chorus. It is also a good thing to experience because it won't be so scary afterwards, it is the worst you'll have to go through. It's always worth giving a shot. You'll experience the same sort of anticipation when applying for a job in the future, so why not give it a shot now?