Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieMamaof4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2008, 4:01 pm

I just got back from 6 hours at the hospital. I had to go alone, so my anxiety skyrocketted and I felt like I was losing my mind. Finally I was allowed a script and got a diagnosis of kidney stones. Yay. :? Anyone else absolutely hate hospitals? I found myself stimming more than usual.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:24 pm

Yes...I would like to be a nurse because the pay is good, I like health topics and they have a lot of job openings but I am terrified of the smell,sounds,lights,people running around...chaos....not good. I have a hard enough time making myself go to my own DRs appointments,lol.

Hope your stones pass with out any problems...ouch.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:13 pm

I loathe them.

I had to go to one recently for about 4 or 5 days.

I was delirious and uber-nauseated when I went in there. And the absolute worst thing, even when I started coming out of it, was that nobody will let you just sleep. Sleep is supposed to aid healing, isn't it? And people would show up and get in my face and I'd puke, this happened around 5 in the morning, and every time one of them knelt down next to my bed and smiled at me I'd start puking. And they were not getting it that when I'm that nauseated I want to sleep, I don't want to be awake to let a bunch of residents learn on me and move around which makes me more nauseated.

Yuck.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:07 pm

anbuend wrote:
I loathe them.

I had to go to one recently for about 4 or 5 days.

I was delirious and uber-nauseated when I went in there. And the absolute worst thing, even when I started coming out of it, was that nobody will let you just sleep. Sleep is supposed to aid healing, isn't it? And people would show up and get in my face and I'd puke, this happened around 5 in the morning, and every time one of them knelt down next to my bed and smiled at me I'd start puking. And they were not getting it that when I'm that nauseated I want to sleep, I don't want to be awake to let a bunch of residents learn on me and move around which makes me more nauseated.

Yuck.

That sounds really nasty, sorry you had to go through it. I agree, they are the least conducive to healing then just about any place I have ever visited. You have more chance of contracting another illness just being in one then licking the hand rails at Grand Central...I had a friend die from an infection he got while in there to get treated for a very benign condition...scary place.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Apr 2008, 6:08 pm

I had to go to hospital a month ago. I was really upset that the staff didn't seem to understand the implications of AS even when I told them I was.

At some point, in the middle of screaming and crying in pain, something in my brain said, "You know, if you would just flap and rock, you would feel much better." I actually thought, "who said that?" And I thought about it very hard for a second. I've never ever rocked or flapped EVER! But I actually thought about it.

The entire experience was completely unnerving as no one got the AS thing. Thank God my husband finally showed up. They were extremely upset that I couldn't answer questions because I was shut down almost completely. Stupid people not realising how sensory overloading the entire experience is.

AspieMamaof4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2008, 6:43 pm

I felt like an idiot when I burst into tears on the phone when I called my husband to come pick me up. I just kept saying, "I need to leave. I need to leave." :(

tybald
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

I work in a hospital and am currently doing my nurse training. Fortunately I don't have the sensory problems a lot of people here seem to have, and am doing quite well on the course despite problems with the social aspects of working with other students/members of staff at times.

It seems a little counter-intuitive but I actually find dealing with patients quite easy because there's very clear cut rules about what is acceptable and what isn't written in black and white, and conversations are susally limited to being very functional due to time constraints. Short, functional convos are where my NT-mimicking abilities are at their best! In some ways I think AS helps me because I don't get so emotionally involved in the work and can take a more objective approach. I also find it very easy to memorize protocols etc.

I only found out about AS after starting the course and its made me think a lot about the direction I want to go in when I qualify. Having gained more understanding about the problems a lot of people with AS have that are much more severe than mine I want to go into research to find ways of making hospitals more friendly for people with ASD. It doesn't seem like it would take much but I think the biggest issue (as in most places) is raising awareness and acceptance. A lot of nurse working in the medical/surgical field can be surprisingly intolerant and ignorant of anything they perceive as psychological

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:48 pm

No, I am fond of them. They are quite calming in a weird way. Make me feel safe.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:50 pm

this thread isn't looking good to am,am going into hope hospital for two days this month [no way out of it].

am recommend getting someone to tell the nurses or do it self if able to-that have Autism or AS before go if possible,as both trafford general and Hope Hospital know am have Autism/ld/high complex needs and tailor everything around it,right from going in [they let am in the staff /back entrances to avoid the inner noisy parts] though if it's an A&E/ER,there's not much can help,
sometimes childrens A&Es are better [if there are no children there,it can be a lot quieter],though not sure if all hospitals would allow it,TG do it with am.

Am have a motto that family,staff and paramedics who know am know-'dont even dare bringing am near a hospital unless unconcious',live by it.

AspieMamaof4,
are not an idiot-at least are out of there now.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:05 pm

I hate em but I've had to get used to them. I had to be hospitalized many many times to where they kind of numbed me, but that's another story.

I think it's all those bright lights, sterile smells, whiteness, and elevators with many numbers and hallways. I used to get lost easily in them.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

I dislike them. It's partly because of the awful lights, and partially because of all the bizarre half-memories of trip to the ER for seizures.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:29 pm

I like going to see my psychiatrist at hospital.
I don't like going to Accident + Emergency, however, as it means at least 3 hours waiting around for a medical professionalto come and sort me out.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Apr 2008, 9:07 pm

Filthy places!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm

I forgot about ERs. The ER around here stopped using respiratory therapists as part of their initial intake procedure, to save money or something. Since the doctors there are (a) busy and (b) mostly trained in treating traumatic injuries, they have virtually no idea what to do with an asthma crisis unless it's totally straightforward (and by straightforward I mean "involving copious and obvious wheezing", whereas by the time anyone sends me to the ER I'm beyond the ability to wheeze, I only start wheezing during the breathing treatment when I'm getting better).

Although it's better than when a friend of mine went to a different hospital, and she got scolded for 'not inhaling more than just shallowly' when someone was listening to her lungs. So she had to use what little air she had to tell the nurse that if she could breathe deeper she wouldn't be there.

And, yeah, I caught an infection when I was there recently. That's the other part that really sucks. When I got sick recently, people kept wanting to send me to the hospital for it, and I kept telling them "No, I'm already sick, I don't need to catch something else on top of it." Yecch.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:49 pm

No, I actually love hospitals as long as I'm not sick, but find comfort in them even when I am. I was very comfortable when my children were born being in a controlled environment. All of it interests me. I want to work in the medical field, in a hospital setting.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:46 am

The flickering lights and strange smells are unbearable. When I was in medical school (I dropped out), the transition from pre-clinical to clinical studies where I was required to spend the whole day at the hospital resulted in serious sensory overload.