An employment site by auties for auties...Donna Williams *)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

1210donna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Oct 2005, 7:28 am

Could you please help us? Could we help you?

Many of you will know me as the Autistic author of the book Nobody Nowhere which is in many languages all around the world.

I have written many other books, 9 books now published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, some in languages around the world.

Today I am an artist, author and public speaker in the Autism world.

I am writing to you all to please ask you to tell your members about our new website www.auties.org

This website is very exciting because it has been made by people with Autism Spectrum Disorder

It has been made to help all people on the Autistic Spectrum all over the world to find work and employment.

The website lists people for free if they are diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Condition.

It allows people to find and support the work and skills of people with Autism Spectrum Conditions around the world.

There are categories of work for those with ALL levels of skills.

The website is not just for the most able people on the Autistic Spectrum. It is for all people on the Autistic Spectrum.

The website is not political and provides equal opportunity to all people on the Autistic Spectrum around the world.

The site is also open to businesses which consider themselves 'Autie Friendly' as part of us trying to make the mainstream world more accessible to people on the autistic spectrum.

Please do come and visit us at www.auties.org

We would like to thank you so much for your support in helping let people know about this new website.

We are hoping to provide a very practical way to promote abilities in those with disabilities.

And please, do let anyone else know about this service who you may feel will find it of use.

Warmly,

Donna Williams *)
Autistic author, artist and public speaker.
www.donnawilliams.net

What if I'm so called 'low functioning'?

On www.auties.org we've got sections for people with ALL kinds of unusual skills at ALL levels of functioning.
Don't ever cancel yourself out.
Some of the most inspirational with Autism are so called 'low functioning' and there really are occupations where many aspects of functioning are completely irrelevant to the job.

We have a category for advertising/promotions for anyone who likes to dress up in a chicken suit and stand outside a shop!
If people mow or sweep or dust but don't do the whole gardening/cleaning thing we want to list you.
If they shred paper they can go under 'recycling'!
People who don't write books but want to sell poems or articles can go under 'authors'.
Those who use FC and wish to inspire others can go under 'communication'.
Those whose greatest skill is running, skating or trampolining could even list themselves under 'charity and fundraising' and use their skill to raise money for causes they believe in... its still an occupation!
If you like to spin things why not put yourself under 'arts/crafts and entertainment'?
There's also a work experience section for those seeking experience leading to work.
You can choose to work voluntarily if you don't have the confidence to charge, you can ask for payment by donation if you don't feel ready to charge, or if you feel you've been of use, go ahead and charge for your time and skill. It's your life, you choose.

I want people to think broadly about how they might have a listable skills.

It doesn't matter if they work only on their block or own suburb or only on Fridays and 3 o'clock.... we want them to come on board.

Warmly,

Donna Williams *)
autistic author, artist, and eccentric.

--
Donna Williams *)
Ever the naughty Autie.
www.auties.org

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 10:23 am

Very kewel idea. :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 4:03 pm

Hey. Sounds like a cool idea and its good to find out some one is trying to make a difference in Auties lifes. I just wonder about some insainly critical pieces of information that are missing from the web site. Like for example what country you are starting off in or which countrys are allegable to be part of this site or even if any one from any country can be on this site. For me what countrys are supported by the web site seems like an extremely important piece of information. If you intend to start this thing off simitainisly around the world I think it could be a bit shakey and not take off because of lack of success of people trying to get work. I think that it is always hard for any organisation that needs to connect with people phisically to start off in all points on the globe simitanisly.

I also wonder about computer employment for Asperger/HFA people because I know some one like me. Who never in a million years could dress up in any sort of suit in and stand on the street actually trying to draw attention to me. That would freak me out some thing insain. And plus there would be differen't people walking past you all the time. Maybe some low fuctioning Auties can do this. But typically i would not think this to be a job that lower functioning auties could do. But then again I could be wrong.

I think that there is alot of auties out there that are great on a computer. But I don't know if theres any way you could set your web site to find that sort of job for some one. I understand that maybe even more difficult for you to do so im not expecting much on that front.

EDIT
Ok I found where you list the countrys. So far I see countrys where you could help people in being only in certain parts of the countrys but thats to be expected.
Australia, United States and UK.

I found the computer part too.
Ok now this makes my post look stupid. :oops:

Any way great idea. Hope you succed in your mission to help auties.
Better Autie awareness would be great and thats one of the things your trying to do.

P.S im not trying to be offencive so if I come accross that way don't take it as that.