Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bidgiebog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2008, 11:56 pm

Good morning WrongPlanet...

I had an appointment with a psych today and took a few tests. He said I scored exceptionally highly both for depression and Asperger's. The reason I had an appointment with a psych is that I had locked myself in my dorm room and refused to do any work; student affairs nudged me into getting medical leave when it became apparent I was going to flunk all my classes for the semester. I've more or less been cooped up in my room at home since.

I'm very, very new to anything psychology-related. Could anyone recommend something to read (threads/forums, articles, books, anything) that would be relevant to me based on the info I've given? Thanks in advance.

Pundit23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 2:00 am

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood is one of the core books I've started to read. It has been given strong acclaim by Amazon critics; and is written so that both NT and AS can learn something from it. Having only heard of AS last week, I haven't gotten very far, but it's very interesting. The second doctor I met gives it out at his AS group meetings, but I snagged an ebook copy because I'm that kind of guy. If you dont mind paying the $30, it seems to be the definitive manual for all... (I'm still not sure what the PC term is, [victims?]) of AS who <AS>pire to overcome their [problems].

I <AS>sume $30 is a fair price tag for solace... or at least for a definitive codex on the syndrome.

PS. I take that back; my private belief is that no one who suffers from AS should go without at least prodding through this 400 page tome. It should be an open source book, and the $30 price tag is taking advantage of initially confused people. --(as in, the shell shock some people experience around the time they realize they have AS).

[Edit]: Oh, and welcome to WP by the way! I'm a stranger here myself.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:42 am

I just learned about AS 2 years ago and have pretty much just lived on WP, on goggle(science daily is interesting),there are several blogs mentioned on the front page here that are good..(I think in one of the news sections but not sure which one...maybe the new movie thread?)

One of my favorite books on AS is not on AS???? "Stranger In A Strange Land".I also would like to read the "Look Me In The Eyes" book but haven't found it at half price books,yet. You could also try your local library and if the book seems helpful then you can buy it. I found several of the books by "experts" to be a lot of fluff but I haven't read many,so, guess I just picked bad.

There is also a new article on the front page about an AS advocate and author who committed suicide recently. I would like to read her books but...I'm not sure if suicide is a very optimistic selling point for an author.(though I certainly can relate).s

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 5:01 am

If there was a poll done on the best books for AS people by AS people it would most likely come out Temple Grandin and Donna Williams. Google both their names and I am sure you will find great comfort and support.

Also Toney Attwood is perhaps the most respected and user friendly non-spectrum person on the scene. His book The complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome would most likely be considered THE book for most of us.

Someone mentioned that the dx in itself can be overwhelming, like shell shock........It was for me, but things soon settle, I feel it most important to remember to be very gentle with yourself in this time.

I wish you well.

Chris.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 5:22 am

I agree with Chris, be kind to yourself, I was :D

The NAS has a tried and tested books and resources section here: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=418

I also recommend Tony Attwood and Donna Williams, do a Google, they have sites too.

Reading other peoples stories helps. People like Chris Mitchel, Liane Holliday Willey and Robert Sanders have all written about themselves and you will probably find someone who you can identify with in their auto-biography, that is immensely helpful too.

Take care and happy reading :study:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:49 am

Nice to meet you, bidgiebog. :) 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:56 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:24 am

Welcome bidgiebog!:)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Apr 2008, 1:52 am

Hi bidgiebog,

welcome to WP.

As far as reading material goes, I think this website is probably one of the best resources that i've found. There are many articles here about AS, forums, chat, blog feature, book recommendations etc. I think you'll find a lot of information on this website alone. :)
There is a book called "Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome," by Jen Birch that I've read and I would recommend it to others. Also, another called "Build your own life - A self-help Guide for Individuals With AS" by Wendy Lawson. I would recommend this book as well.

As far as depression goes, here is a link to a few articles about depression & related issues that you might find useful to read: http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Articles/
Link to a website about depression: http://www.depression.com/

I hope you enjoy posting here.

happyheather912

14 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm

I sort of found out the same way as you...University Affairs had to intervene because I was having such a hard time with my classes.

As for recommended reading, anything by Liane Holliday Willey is good..."Pretending to be Normal", especially. :) She has her stuff on www.aspie.com.

Welcome to WP!