Do certain sounds drive anybody else nuts?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 7:28 am

I absolutely can not stand the sound of people eating. At first it'll be alright, just a minor annoyance, then after about 2-5 minutes it drives me crazy, and I just can't stand it. I have to either drown it out with loud music through my earphones or I have to leave the room. I've even thrown things across rooms, punched walls, stomped my feet, bit really hard on the flesh of my knucles, dug my fingernails into the side of my arm, punched myself in the head, etc. just from my hatred of these noises.

Above everything else I absolutely can't stand the sound of someone eating sunflower seeds. Just thinking about it right now is driving me nuts.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:01 am

I absolutely can't stand the sound of a dried-up felt-tip marker rubbing against paper.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:07 am

I can't stand the sound of babies crying. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:09 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I can't stand the sound of babies crying. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Same here.

I HATE the noise of metal against metal or metal against glass.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 10:33 am

I can't bare the metallic sound of someone scraping their fork and knife together, it practically has me writhing on the floor with my hands over my ears!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:37 am

When I was little, I absolutely hated the sound of crumbling up paper bags; especially if I had just drank something cold. I hated that feeling with that sound for some reason. Nowadays, I could care less about it. lol

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:45 am

The sound of someone's knife and fork scraping across a glass or china plate.

The entire musical score for the movie "THere Will Be Blood". It makes my muscles tense up hearing the atonal strings and the dissenant chords for most of the film. I thought i felt the hair on my head stand up from it.

The sound of a windstorm outside blowing through our windowfan. I hate that sound and the chaotic speedup and slowdown of the fanblades.

screaming kids, you know.... the ones who silently pause for about fifteen seconds while they draw a breath and then EEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!....Thank God you get that fifteen second silent warning. It gives you enough time to firmly clamp your hands over your ears before the pain starts.

nofun13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2008, 12:21 pm

the sound of when i accidentally brush some paper against my nails, it does my head in hehe. wierd scratchy sound :?

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 1:02 pm

Turn signals clicking.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !! !

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:05 pm

potato chip bags

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:17 pm

Fine tipped ball-point pens on paper and people sliding their feet when they walk. They both set my teeth on edge.

Patricia

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2008, 2:47 pm

The eating thing drives me CRAZY. My partner has been told over and over not to be loud when he eats but he still does it. It gives me shivers just thinking about it right now. I used to have a problem going out to eat with people because of all the noise of people eating. Yuck!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

The sound of my mom's whining voice

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:46 pm

The sound of plastic bags or wrappers crinkling. It's so annoying it gives me a headache.
My cat used to chew on plastic bags all the time when I was sleeping. It woke me up, and kept me awake. Now I hide all the plastic bags and wrappers so my cat can't find them.

Dried up marker rubbing on paper. It sends chills down my spine.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

Lawn mowers make me want to commit suicide.

Drills make me want to throw myself out the window.

In a lesser degree but still maddening: vacuum cleaners, food mixers, rap songs, apple or carrot biting, people yelling and babies crying.

Hardly bearable: phones ringing, especially with low-class song tunes. Kindergardeners' yard break near my window. Snoring. Radios at work.

Blissful: lithurgic music sung a capella, the sound of leaves in the breeze, a very big chiming bell in the gentle wind, birds chirping, crows crowing, babies babbling, water flowing among pebbles, all storm sounds, soft saxophone.

Ecstasy: soft harp

Last edited by Greentea on 10 Apr 2008, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

Vacuum cleaners. In order to tolerate this I have to be vacuuming the rugs myself.