Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:25 am

Anyone have uncommon allergies?

I'm allergic to honey. Nobody noticed for ages and I thought it was perfectly normal to have tickling sensations or at worst breathing trouble from honey.

I hardly found anything on this allergy and very few people actually know it. Problematic, because it sure can kill me. Even more problematic because I love the taste of honey.
On the bright side, my reaction is immediate and I notice any amount of honey in foods right away. So the chance to die from suffocation is rather small.

I don't have other uncommon allergies or any other allergies for that matter. Well, it appears I developed hay fever recently, but that has yet to be tested.

I heard allergies are often associated with the spectrum.

I wondered if anyone else had any kind of uncommon allergies?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:34 am

I am allergic to the juice of raw potatoes. If it gets onto my skin when I peel potatoes, I start sneezing like mad, and my throat constricts so that I hardly can breathe. When I discovered this, I started wearing latex gloves while peeling potatoes. Now it turns out I'm allergic to latex as well - my hands turn bright red and start to itch like crazy. Never give a sucker an even break, eh?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:36 am

About the honey thing: I recently realized that there's a warning label on honey, to not give it to children under 1 year of age. And now I'm wondering why that is...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:38 am

I have allergies, btw, but not especially uncommon: dust (mite poop), cats (of which I have three), and I tend to have allergic-like reactions to many smells, like perfumes, although I don't know if those are true allergies or not.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 11:39 am

I'm severely allergic to all nut products, but I don't suppose that's too uncommon.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:47 am

Icheb wrote:
I am allergic to the juice of raw potatoes. If it gets onto my skin when I peel potatoes, I start sneezing like mad, and my throat constricts so that I hardly can breathe. When I discovered this, I started wearing latex gloves while peeling potatoes. Now it turns out I'm allergic to latex as well - my hands turn bright red and start to itch like crazy. Never give a sucker an even break, eh?

It's actually common for people with latex allergy to have a reaction to potatoes.

----

People who have a latex allergy may be allergic to some foods, as well. This is called a cross reaction. When this happens, your body responds with the same allergic symptoms that you would have if you were exposed to latex. Cross reactions differ from one person to another. Someone may have a reaction to all the foods noted to cause cross reaction while another may have no reaction at all. Likewise, if you are allergic to any of these foods, you may also be allergic to latex:

apples, bananas, kiwi, peaches, plums, figs, grapes, melons, papaya, passion fruit, cherries, nectarines, pears, pineapple and strawberries;
carrots, celery, raw potatoes, avocados and tomatoes;
chestnuts and hazelnuts;
wheat and rye.

If you are allergic to any of these foods, tell your doctor before having any medical procedure. You could have a cross reaction to latex.

From http://www.health.state.ny.us/environme ... latex2.htm

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:58 am

Sora wrote:
Anyone have uncommon allergies?

I'm allergic to honey. Nobody noticed for ages and I thought it was perfectly normal to have tickling sensations or at worst breathing trouble from honey.

I hardly found anything on this allergy and very few people actually know it. Problematic, because it sure can kill me. Even more problematic because I love the taste of honey.
On the bright side, my reaction is immediate and I notice any amount of honey in foods right away. So the chance to die from suffocation is rather small.

I don't have other uncommon allergies or any other allergies for that matter. Well, it appears I developed hay fever recently, but that has yet to be tested.

I heard allergies are often associated with the spectrum.

I wondered if anyone else had any kind of uncommon allergies?

I had a friend that was also allergic to honey, he was also allergic Bee's, and could get anaphylaxis, he had to carry an Epipen in case of anaphylactic shock. Have you been tested for bee stings?

Last edited by spudnik on 10 Apr 2008, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:01 pm

Sophist wrote:
About the honey thing: I recently realized that there's a warning label on honey, to not give it to children under 1 year of age. And now I'm wondering why that is...

Honey may contain dormant endospores of the bacteria Clostridium botulinum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm

zendell wrote:
It's actually common for people with latex allergy to have a reaction to potatoes.

(lots of more stuff, including a link)

Wow, thank you zendell, that was super-informative! I am actually allergic to apples, pineapples and hazelnuts, as well as to alder, birch and grass pollen. I never realised these allergies were connected.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

spudnik wrote:
I had a friend that was also allergic to honey, he was also allergic Bee's, and could get anaphylaxis, he had to carry an Epipen in case of anaphylactic shock. Have you been tested for bee stings?

I have not been tested for any insect stings, but I was already stung by bees several times. Nothing happened, fortunately.

Sophist wrote:
I have allergies, btw, but not especially uncommon: dust (mite poop), cats (of which I have three), and I tend to have allergic-like reactions to many smells, like perfumes, although I don't know if those are true allergies or not.

Wow, you're allergic to cats and have 3? Does the allergy get in the way of living together with the cats?

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:34 pm

Country Music, it makes me itchy and constrictive. :lol:

Actually, I get a rash from my own cut hair after a haircut. It invariably falls between my collar and neck and then I get a minor rash.

Z

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:34 pm

Thats good, my friend was stung while riding his bike in traffic one day, and nearly died. I am slightly allergic to bee's, but I am severely allergic to cats, certain molds, and walnuts, but have no problem with other typed of nuts, I used to be allergic to egg white, but developed resistance to that, I do have a very unusual allergy to benzodiazepines, which has caused me to have convulsions.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:43 pm

Sophist wrote:
. . . I tend to have allergic-like reactions to many smells, like perfumes, although I don't know if those are true allergies or not.

The reaction to perfumes isn't classified as an allergy, but a sensitivity to the chemicals in fragrances - it make you react very badly though!

I get really sick when I'm near people wearing any kind of perfume or cologne, so I was interested to read that more than half of people with Asperger's have issues with fragrances, and many describe it as smelling like insecticide.

It was nice to see that written down, because for years I have wondered why people spray themselves with what smells to me like Raid.

Now I understand that while they are smelling chemical approximations of flowers or spice, all I am smelling is the underlying chemical brew. :eew:

Last edited by CityAsylum on 10 Apr 2008, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:45 pm

Eggs, peanuts (though mild), almonds (mild), donkeys... I also react to aspartame (though that's so toxic that technically speaking, everyone does).

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:02 pm

Only allergic for a certain kind of pine tree, but that one grows only in a specific area in The Netherlands. And maybe I have grown over it, without knowing.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:24 pm

I have true allergy to sulfa
I get eczema if I eat dairy , wheat and some other things
I get pain in my joints and bad guts if I eat nuts, seeds or pulses. which is very annoying as Im a vegan- so I eat a very odd diet.