I'm seeking an official diagnosis in about a month.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

First of all, I'd like to say hello again. This is my first time posting here since September last year apparently, but I've read some topics without commenting from time to time. I'm in my first year of college and I've been struggling all year, not knowing how to make any new friends and sometimes having difficulty motivating myself to do work for classes I don't find interesting.

So anyway, I've finally been able to convince my parents that there's an extremely strong likelihood that I have Asperger's Syndrome and they've been reading up about it, trying to help me out but not really knowing the best way to do it. I figured the best way to start trying to alleviate some of the more troublesome symptoms of AS would be to seek an official diagnosis first, to see if experts agree with me that I have AS, since I'm not quite 100% sure but I'm relatively certain. Anything I need to know before I go in there? My social skills are extremely, extremely poor (as is typical of AS) and I'm worried that I might struggle to explain some of the difficulties I face.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:34 am

This article might help:

http://asdgestalt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19

:)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:27 pm

Dart wrote:
I figured the best way to start trying to alleviate some of the more troublesome symptoms of AS would be to seek an official diagnosis first, to see if experts agree with me that I have AS, since I'm not quite 100% sure but I'm relatively certain.

Hi Dart, did you take this quiz yet?:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 1:29 pm

I wish you the best of luck in your evaluation, Dart. :D

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the support and advice! :D

The quiz above tells me I am very likely an Aspie. I fit the majority of AS criteria fairly clearly, I think - I have no friends in real life outside of my family, I'm not good at face-to-face interaction with others, I speak in a monotone voice, I don't find things funny when other people think I should and vice versa, my interests are unusual as is the degree to which I pursue them, I stim, certain sensory stimuli make me uncomfortable, etc.

Fred54
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

Dart wrote:
Anything I need to know before I go in there?

yep, tell the truth to the psy, speak to him like if you wrote something to a nobody but you delete it before it's being read. I don't know how to exprim it, english is not my first tongue...

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 Apr 2008, 9:02 pm

I just had mine yesterday Dart and, for now at least, I feel better having my suspicions confirmed. I had unofficially dx'ed myself with social anxiety disorder and then found some inconsistencies, so its better to have this official. You are young enough that hopefully some of the drawbacks of AS can be avoided by you and some of the other young people on this forum. :)