Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm

I know that this is an aspie trait. However, I was wondering if anyone else ever experiences the next level of hyperfocus. As in, there's hyperfocus, and then there's HYPERFOCUS.

For me, this manifests itself a highly detailed, almost chiseled sort of awareness. I largely stop blinking; I can focus on anything, including really boring text; I can tune in or I can tune out; I usually stop stimming (I think all my extra energy is spent in the brain power of this higher level of focus); I have extreme clarity of thought . . .

This is when I can come up with new artistic creations--like in one night. Or I can do something that I've been putting off for a while. It isn't a lack of fear, but rather a sort of extreme readiness.

It's as if my eyes are laser beams and everything else around me fades away.

You?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm

I know the feeling your talking about. I get these times when I cannot do anything. But sometimes I get so focused on a project or something Im working on I totally lose myself into it, whether it be my drawing, researching a project, or my reading. It was funny one time in elementary school I was reading a book during free time, and I totally blanked out, and was so focused on reading the book that I finished it and missed an entire spelling test. God that was embarassing telling the teacher. Thank God she was so nice and let me take it again. Everyone gave me a hard time about it too. I just found out about my AS, so after all these years it is so great to find others like me and not feeling like I'm a totally alien.

Dwight_K_Schrute
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2008, 10:31 pm

Who doesn't? The other day someone was asking me detailed questions about a project I was working on. After my explaination in answering the questions, I realized that it probably was quite strange for this person to watch my eyes go back and forth as I was "reading" from the paper I had written about it. (Needless to say that said paper was not in front me at the time)

I equate it to an out of body experience. I don't even realize it until I'm done answering the question and re-establish eye contact. It happens often when people ask me technical questions. I've probably done it all my life, but only recently realized that most other people probably have no idea what the heck I'm doing, and think I'm wierd.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 10:47 pm

That uncontrolable hyperfocus is why I had to retire from herding kids last January. I've had it under control for over 60 years, but it started coming back.

It is very useful when doing something which gains from that extent of hyperfocus. When machining a small part or shooting a competition or making a jeweled horn or... you get the idea.

It is dangerous when doing something which requires split focus, such as driving a school bus full of wigglers 'n' gigglers in traffic.

Pops

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 11:31 pm

mmm, like that time I stayed up all night, trying to learn the Mill's Mess. I had never juggled for such a long time with such intensity. I think I sat there for 5+ hours, until I couldn't properly function. That was the beginning of a very intense interest.l

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 4:47 am

I can get really into some things and forget entirely about regular things - eating, going to class, etc :)

Especially when it's something I'm really interested in, I get hyperfocused and lose all track of time. My mom especially gets upset if I'm late, so I try to remember to keep track of things, but it's hard :)

I have my cell phone set to alarm and remind me to do things, otherwise I would just be lost.